• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink Auctions - Avengers & ASM prices through the roof

332 posts in this topic

Bob, is that any different than any other person pumping their book?

R.

Why should a good book need 'pumping'?

I've never felt the need/desire to 'pump' a decent book. The good stuff sells itself and the stuff that needs 'pumping' usually ends in 'slightly misleading'. meh

It is the "ebay phenomenon" all over again. On ebay it is difficult to sell a book at it's actual grade due to the "ebay grade bump" that is employed by many. Now books in the general market whether they be graded or not are described by what the "potential" could be for a perceived higher value despite actual grade. It again affects those who grade a book for what it is and leave it that way.

Not really an Ebay phenom as barkers have been around since the dawn of time.

It's just some people's styles.

R.

Internet version, old man. :makepoint:

When I said Miles was dishonest it was because he said that everyone would get a shot and they didn't get one...even though many promises were made. It was also because he left a post here on the forums stating how he was happy to leave this sad hobby behind and yet is still in it. He was just throwing smoke screens to throw people off the scent.

I didn't bad mouth him. I called it like it was as there was hard evidence to back it up. I maybe should have held my tongue but hey we all do things we regret...especially under external chemical influences.

:eek:

When I said Miles had the "wool pulled over his eyes" it was because he was flashed some cash and took the first opportunity to cash in. You can read it in my email that I CC'd to everyone. I said that someone may have paid him more.

He shot his load early. You may have heard that phrase.

:kidaround:

That was not a disrespect to the buyer, it was a dis to the seller.

I know that you are a shrewd businessman and good at what you do. Sorry that you took it the wrong way. At least now I know where your animosity is comng from.

I don't see late bronze age as being that desirable, personaly. Ugh, people.

Late Bronze :cloud9:

I love late bronze Batman's because I was an 8 year old kid in 1976.

I lived for each new Bat book that came out in those days.

I also had all the mego Batman toys (and a couple lame Spiderman mego toys someone gave me, thinking I would like them)

You end up loving whatever you read as a kid ...... no matter how crappy it might be

Why is "pressable" relevant? If it's pressable, why don't they press it?

Like this comic with a torn cover. If it wasn't torn, it would be NM...and if a bullfrog had wings, he wouldn't bust his azz.

2c

Exactly my point, it's all irrelevant...the time of encapsulation, the possible PQ bump, the pressing-candidate angle..I pay for the book I see in front of me and the current grade.

Alas a lot of people don't see the book they see the (often overenthusiastic) possibilities. And in all fairness, some people do make a nice living this way, buying books that haven't reached their full potential, but I'm sure there are equal or more books who never get the desired grade bump and the buyer didn't only overpay for the initial book but also got the bill for resubbing...but strangely enough we never get to hear those stories.

:applause:

Frankly, books graded at any time period can come back graded higher, or lower, and with better, or worse, page quality. IMHO, the variance in grades on any single day is at least as great as the alleged variance over time in CGC's "standard" (changes in certain policies like the AF 15 color xerox cover notwithstanding).

I also focus on the book in front of me when deciding whether or not to pull the trigger - is it centered, does it have good color, what's the page quality like, and what's the price. I could really care less what it used to be, or what it possibly could be...don't have the time to play the press/resub game, and have more important things in my life to worry about and fret over than comic books. (shrug)

Check it out. Current bid is $9,200 :o

RADE80AA20081223_155540.jpg

Move over Hulk 181, there's a new bronze king in town, and his name is LUKE CAGE #1 :sumo:

Congrats to the consignor, that price is frigging insane. I would be doing a happy banana dance right now if I were the owner of the book. :banana:lol

Personally, I don't think that any miswrapped or miscut book should ever grade higher than 9.4. That makes it a fugly 9.8 in my books.

Last time this Winnepeg book sold it went for $350. Current bid $1900

RAD10D87200917_174730.jpg

This is fun! :popcorn:

:o Talk about an insane price on a common in high grade book.

Right now it looks like 9.6 is the new 9.8 for late SA and BA Marvels. (shrug)

Bob, first off I knew you bought the collection. It's the first thing I said to Louise when I got home at 3 am that night and saw his email. Now mind you I was a little cheery when I wrote the email but I didn't say anything dishonest or incorrect...it was just uncensored.

2nd of all I carbon copied the email to everyone so it's not a secret. I think I must have sent it to 20 people. Brent Moeshlin, Dan Cusimano..heck I may have even sent it to my mom.

3rd if you read the email you'll see that I was criticizing Miles for lying, not for selling the collection.

He kept stringing everyone along for a list and description with constant emails like, "coming right up" and then a few days later told everyone the collection was sold.

I learned several things from this.

1) Miles lies. A lot. He also still buys and sells books even though he said he was out of this hobby for good.

2) Honesty does not always win.

3) You are a sneaky bugger.

:roflmao:

R.

Just to be clear... you mean a different Miles than our own Mike Miles right?