• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink Auctions - Avengers & ASM prices through the roof

332 posts in this topic

Recession? What recession?

All I saw tonight was record prices being paid for books.

Late bronze ASM's in 9.8 were going for double GPA, and 9.6's are the "new 9.8s" as people give up on getting a 9.8 and are settling for a 9.6, driving the 9.6 prices higher.

Throw out GPA on the Avengers, those late silver and early bronze books are going for WAY over GPA.

Here is the biggest shocker I saw:

AVENGERS #16 9.0 went for $2600 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This book has a GPA of $413 in 9.0

The 9.4 GPA is only $2500

Have buyers gone insane?

Late bronze ASM's in 9.8 were going for double GPA, and 9.6's are the "new 9.8s" as people give up on getting a 9.8 and are settling for a 9.6, driving the 9.6 prices higher.

Have buyers gone insane?

No Kidding. A few I noted:

ASM 102 CGC 9.4 GPA 90 day= $536 Winning Bid: $850 :o

ASM 144 CGC 9.6 GPA 12 mo = $281 Winning Bid: $635 (shrug)

ASM 184 CGC 9.8 GPA 12 mo = $374 Winning Bid: $847 doh!

Further, a search of the web site for sale section shows an ASM 102 CGC 9.4 with a for sale price of $625. I don't get it.

No Matter how high I bid, it seems there is someone out there willing to pay twice that. :pullhair:

Have buyers gone insane?

No Kidding. A few I noted:

ASM 102 CGC 9.4 GPA 90 day= $536 Winning Bid: $850 :o

ASM 144 CGC 9.6 GPA 12 mo = $281 Winning Bid: $635 (shrug)

ASM 184 CGC 9.8 GPA 12 mo = $374 Winning Bid: $847 doh!

Further, a search of the web site for sale section shows an ASM 102 CGC 9.4 with a for sale price of $625. I don't get it.

No Matter how high I bid, it seems there is someone out there willing to pay twice that. :pullhair:

(shrug)

I won about seven Spideys, all for under 2008 GPA lows.

I just shotgun dozens of lowball bids, and then walk away to make sure I don't get caught up in the frenzy...something always sticks.

Silver and Bronze Spideys are not the books I'm willing to bid the moon and sky for....so I either get them at "my price" or I just don't get them.

I would have thought it was international bidders because the dollar is low, but everyone is getting their crack at recession pains so this makes no sense.

Could it be investors that are trying to offset their stock market losses by putting their money into collectibles? Did Suse Orman get on some major talk show and state to stop putting money into your 401K and instead buy key Avengers and Amazing Spider-Man books?

hm(shrug)

(shrug)

I won about seven Spideys, all for under 2008 GPA lows.

I just shotgun dozens of lowball bids, and then walk away to make sure I don't get caught up in the frenzy...something always sticks.

Silver and Bronze Spideys are not the books I'm willing to bid the moon and sky for....so I either get them at "my price" or I just don't get them.

I share the same philosophy of approach (though your price must be a bit "better" than mine :baiting:).

Could it be investors that are trying to offset their stock market losses by putting their money into collectibles? Did Suse Orman get on some major talk show and state to stop putting money into your 401K and instead buy key Avengers and Amazing Spider-Man books?

hm(shrug)

No, I think it is Pastimperfekt and a bunch of thrill/ shill bidders. hm

I would have thought it was international bidders because the dollar is low, but everyone is getting their crack at recession pains so this makes no sense.

hm(shrug)

Dollar isn't as low as it used to be...it gained about 7.5% against the Euro since this summer. $1000 is now about 750.00 Euro, in July it was 700.00 Euro.

What I used to buy for $1000 is now costing me $1066...still a lot better than 2000/2001 where today's $1000 ended up costing me $1370.

And like you mentioned the economical malaise has hit Europe as well now. Especially the UK, where the bulk of European comic-related purchases end up.

I won a Bat book for about $20 under the last GPA recorded sale. Of course, if I only win this one book I will pay $14.00 in S&H for it. :(

$20 less on a $25 book is great. $20 less on $1000 book not so great.

Notice to all "investors" - STAY AWAY FROM BATMAN BOOKS - STICK TO YOUR ASM'S :sumo:

You don't want Batman, it's a DC book.

I won a Bat book for about $20 under the last GPA recorded sale. Of course, if I only win this one book I will pay $14.00 in S&H for it. :(

Notice to all "investors" - STAY AWAY FROM BATMAN BOOKS - STICK TO YOUR ASM'S :sumo:

$20 below GPA on an approximately $140.00 book. Not too bad as I will likely keep it in my CGC slabbed comic book collection for the near future.

$20 below GPA on an approximately $140.00 book. Not too bad as I will likely keep it in my CGC slabbed comic book collection for the near future.

My basic definition of a great deal is if you can pick up a main title at 70% of 12 month GPA. It's tough, but can be done.

Not all Avengers went for record prices. Take a look at the Avengers #25, a desirable book. It sold for $601. compared to the last GPA sale for $796., almost $200. less or 25% down.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D34%23Item%5F776175&id=776175

This was a $500 book in 9.4 less than two years ago.

I just assume everything will go high and therefore bid on nothing.

My exact strategy as well....,