• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

National Lampoon magazines and interesting comic art

7 posts in this topic

First off does anyone collect National Lampoon magazines? I realized a year or so ago that they contain some interesting comic art and stories. I sold one on eBay a while back containing Neal Adams doing a spoof of his Deadman story went for $25 or so. I found a copy recently of a 1971 issue containing Dragula by Neal Adams with a cool Frazetta cover. But other artitsts include Russ Heath, Jeff Jones and more in several other issues I have. Does anyone have a complete set. Do people find there is interest increasing in these magazines? I will post a picture of the frazetta cover later. I have to cut and paste some blocks over some parts of dragula grin.gif

I collected National Lampoon and Heavy Metal before I started with comics. Always bought them at the comic shop tongue.gif

I didn’t take care of them, but not that it mattered. Since I didn’t have any comics to throw out, my mom tossed them instead. sign-rantpost.gif

Its always the parents that throw out the good stuff... 893frustrated.gif

I figured there might be some interest here on the boards in the magazine since the issues in the 70's contained lots of art by well liked artists on the boards. There is a lot of Neal Adams art, Russ Heath art, Frazetta art and covers, Jeff Jones art etc. Just wondered if others had interest in these mags for that reason. I realize its mostly a adult oriented mag with a couple pages of comics in it but its some nice great art I think

theyre not adult oriented...aimed at college students. 'Nat Lamp' was a commercial extension of the long lived Harvard Lampoon. It was brilliant in the early years and a mecca for top comedy/satiric talent. the comics were an homage to early Mad magazine...often drawn by the top artists, but not always (Alan Kupperberg, anyone?)

College Students are not adults..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifgrin.gif

I mean they do contain a ample supply of nudity in each issue, so maybe should say mature audiences then..... grin.gif

I agree some of the artists are generic but the completionists who like Adams or Frazetta should be after these issues. I mean they are originals for the National Lampoon mag...? What no one wants to admit they collect it tongue.gif ?

I had forgotten about that Dragula by Frazetta. Very nice! I bought National Lampoon when it came out and always checked it first for interesting comics before I bought it. There was some nice work done there for a short time but those artists mentioned weren't there very long it seems. I stopped buying it after the first 30 or so issues. Really haven't looked at them since.