• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Using Escrow for EBay purchase - recommended?

6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I recently made a large purchase on the Bay and the seller accepts escrow, if the buyer pays the fee. It's for an item over $1,000. The seller has perfect feedback in the several hundreds. Doesn't accept paypal. Whadya' folks think; had any experience using it? Thanks in advance for your input!

Red confused-smiley-013.gif

Is the seller international in the UK or Canada? Use escrow even if the seller is based in the USA if the deal does not smell right.

Check the feedback history of the seller. Did he just sell 100 $1 items to 80 different clients? Feedback #s can be easily padded if someone is trying to perpetrate a fraud. 893blahblah.gif

Hi All,

I recently made a large purchase on the Bay and the seller accepts escrow, if the buyer pays the fee. It's for an item over $1,000. The seller has perfect feedback in the several hundreds. Doesn't accept paypal. Whadya' folks think; had any experience using it? Thanks in advance for your input!

Red confused-smiley-013.gif

I think Escrow is a no win situation.

I contacted Escrow a couple of years ago and asked them what if a seller sent the item off to to the buyer and the buyer returned the "item" but it was not the same merchandise or let's say you bought a diamond and switched it with a fake.

They told me that it is out of their hands and for something like that, if you feel you need insurance incase of that possibility, you would need to purchase separate insurance from a company for that possibility.

I then asked them why not set up a department where the charge may be higher but the item would be shipped to them first for verification and then ship to buyer, this way no monkey business would happen.

They never responded.

Escrow is nothing but a business to benefit the escrow company, and everything else is buyer beware.