• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve and I interviewed on a Radio Broadcast!

33 posts in this topic

Why? I would still call it "advertising." Wouldn't more dealers do it if they had the resources? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think it would be naive of us to think there isn't a little quid-pro-quo going on as a backstory to why this talk radio station carried the story. Whether there is or isn't, who cares? I enjoyed listening to it. Besides, its not as clear cut as picking up a magazine, and reading an article promoting some kind of consumer product. All the while, you think it was written in an impartial manner, only to discover later that the company being covered in the story also contributes a good chunk of coin to the mags advertising revenue. As mercantile minded as such pursuits may seem, simply put, the editor of the mag still has to make a choice to carry the story or not. If the story sucks, or their readers don't care about a pocket-sized toaster, the story won't be covered in the mag.

If Metropolis carries a program on the air that covers the pros and cons of the comic industry, delivers some nostalgic stories over the radio waves, it doesn't matter whether their motivation is based on monetarism, or altruism. If the story doesn't jive with the radio stations program manager, it doesn't get air time. In the rare case (somewhat more common in talk-radio format) where the DJ has more autonomy over programming and content, the willingness of a radio stations DJ to carry the story on their program would also need to exist.

Interesting point re advertising. But if I had to guess I would say that if it were purely profit motivated vincent would have better uses for his time. It's not like people haven't heard of metro. Part advertising for the store, part promotion of the hobby for the greater good? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Would "promotion of the hobby for the greater good" include telling someone to lie in an interview so that they could invent a story to make "investing in comic books" seem like the best idea since "Girls Gone Wild"?

For your consideration...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was surprised because of your comment relating to the "other thread" in the , uh, other thread.

I started to answer it, but figured "nahhh, why bother..."

I should have developed some sort of sinister Infinity Board where people would just keep clicking from one thread to the other until their heads cracked open and their minds leaked out onto the fronts of their undersized Spider-Man t-shirts.

Dave. Vincent, & STEVE "GREAT" show!! I really enjoyed listening . And I have to agree with BOB ,METROPOLIS does promote the hobby. Again: 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

No offense, but isn't this a little... ridiculous? Praising comic book DEALERS for promoting comic books? Isn't that a bit like praising Wal-Mart for extolling the virtues of deep-discount crapola? McDonald's for advocating the nutritional value of Grade H beef?

Here is some food for thought: for those of you that listened to the interview (btw the link works fine for me ???) I said that my collection was valued between $15 and $20K. Now that is just my estimate, Vincent didn't look at my 50 slabs, 6K+ books, 75+ tpbs and comic art pieces before giving me an appraisal. Now while I don't think of my books as an "investment" in my definition of the word( "an asset that one expects to sell at a point in the future to realize a financial gain") I don't value these books as "0" on my personal balane sheet. Yet, what can I do now to protect the value of my books? The answer: do your part to support the hobby

I can tell you this - without a strong hobby packed with collectors who have an interest in the materials ALL our funny books would be worthless.

If Vincent wants to sponsor a web radio show where the comic book hobby is promoted he is not only helping his company but he is helping all collectors and dealers alike.

This is just the financial perspective. As anyone who knows me can attest, I don't collect comics for the $$$. I have spent a lot of time and energy in the hobby and have a lot of fun doing it. If I can spend 15 minutes of my time and impart that passion to someone else I would be thrilled.

An aside, even if we don't do the Rocketeer's idea of the santa lotto, I would still love to see people buy those 100 bucks for $15 bucks and just ship them directly to C4K. That's a great way to (1) bring comfort to kids in the hospital (in case you haven't heard, Dale Moore proprietor of C4K, promised 30K books to a children's hospital and is currently only about halfway there) (2) you can get a tax write off. I can't think of a better thing to do to feel good about yourself and to promote the hobby. (here's the link)

Ask yourself: what have YOU done lately to promote the comic book hobby

DAM

Dave:

Great, great post, and I totally echo those sentiments. There's a lot of guys here who are some of the highest spending collectors, or certainly on that spectrum... the charity auctions have always been supported and promoted here, but we should also be doing everything we can to promote and support the hobby not only within this small internet community here but in any way we can in our local communities and areas. The LAST thing we should be doing is criticizing Metropolis for doing something (that they certainly don't have to do) to help promote comics in general. Vincent has always been a guy who's been very passionate about what he does, and that should be applauded.

I can tell you this - without a strong hobby packed with collectors who have an interest in the materials ALL our funny books would be worthless.

If Vincent wants to sponsor a web radio show where the comic book hobby is promoted he is not only helping his company but he is helping all collectors and dealers alike.

May I direct you back to the link in my previous post?

Ask yourself: what have YOU done lately to promote the comic book hobby

Well, I haven't told people to lie in televised interviews, for starters...