• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SMORGASBORD OF ULTRA-HIGH GRADE JLAs

48 posts in this topic

these books make me want to fly to HK and smack you in the mouth.

in a good way, of course. you understand.

Win them and then YOU can become the dude everyone wants to smack in the mouth. :gossip:

Today`s book is JLA #32

CGC 9.6 Off-white Pages

Yup, this is part of my listing even though for some reason Heritage put it in a totally different part of the auction than the other JLAs. (shrug)

Pretty pink cover, tied with a few other copies for best in CGC Census. Quite frankly, not the toughest book to find in ultra-HG, although this at least has the coveted old label. Bought it from Metropolis in 2005.

JLA32.jpg

Win them and then YOU can become the dude everyone wants to smack in the mouth. :gossip:

you're assuming that's not the case already?

huh.

at any rate, this end of the pool is a wee too deep for my poor wallet. but i find this thread instructive and entertaining, and of course wish you naught but the best in your sales!

at any rate, this end of the pool is a wee too deep for my poor wallet. but i find this thread instructive and entertaining, and of course wish you naught but the best in your sales!

They're all no reserve auctions, so what the hell, take a shot and maybe a book will slip through the cracks. We're in an economic depression, you know. :P

Anyways, as a wise man once said, the underbidder is just as important as the winning bidder. Put a different way, thrill bidding is accepted and encouraged! lol

Today we've got JLA #33, which I'll call the "found money" of the run.

You know how nothing is better than finding money in an old coat pocket? That's what this book represents, because I had completely forgotten I owned it until I was digging out the JLAs to send a list to Heritage! I honestly had no memory as to when and how I acquired it, and went into my files to see if they would jog my memory. They indicated that I had acquired the book in January 2006 from "bigtimecomics" (not even that long ago), but I was still drawing a complete blank. Even more curious is that I had it marked as an "ad hoc purchase", meaning I had not bought it off eBay or any auction house, prominent dealer or even a private collector that I knew well. How did I come across this "bigtimecomics" or this book? I have no friggin' idea! Does the name ring a bell with anyone? Is he a former boardie?

Anyways, as forgotten comics go, this is not bad!

CGC 9.6 with Off-white to White pages, and a coveted old label. One of only 2 9.6 copies in the Census, sitting at the top.

JLA33.jpg

Today we've got JLA #33, which I'll call the "found money" of the run.

You know how nothing is better than finding money in an old coat pocket? That's what this book represents, because I had completely forgotten I owned it until I was digging out the JLAs to send a list to Heritage! I honestly had no memory as to when and how I acquired it, and went into my files to see if they would jog my memory. They indicated that I had acquired the book in January 2006 from "bigtimecomics" (not even that long ago), but I was still drawing a complete blank. Even more curious is that I had it marked as an "ad hoc purchase", meaning I had not bought it off eBay or any auction house, prominent dealer or even a private collector that I knew well. How did I come across this "bigtimecomics" or this book? I have no friggin' idea! Does the name ring a bell with anyone? Is he a former boardie?

Anyways, as forgotten comics go, this is not bad!

CGC 9.6 with Off-white to White pages, and a coveted old label. One of only 2 9.6 copies in the Census, sitting at the top.

JLA33.jpg

"big time" in the criminal world is often referred to as the amount of time you'd spend in prison for doing a crime. i think your notation may be a subconscious way of telling yourself that you pilfered the book and have mentally blocked the memory. 2c a beauty as always. good luck with them.

"big time" in the criminal world is often referred to as the amount of time you'd spend in prison for doing a crime. i think your notation may be a subconscious way of telling yourself that you pilfered the book and have mentally blocked the memory. 2c

:signfunny:

I'm just glad to see that my evil twin is as discriminating as I am!

That's certainly something to consider. hm

Five of the remaining 7 books are Pacific Coasts, starting with JLA #35.

CGC 9.6, White Pages, from the Pacific Coast pedigree. All alone at the top of the Census.

As nice as the scans of this book might look, it's even better in person. Anyone who wants to know why all the fuss about pedigree books just needs to hold this book, or any of the PCs to follow, in person.

Only 5 people have ever owned this book:

1. PC OO, who sold it raw to

2. Linmoth/Tom Hanlin, who slabbed it and sold it to

3. a major SA DC collector, who exited collecting and sold in 2003 to

4. major JLA collector Ace_Silver, who exited collecting in 2005 and listed it on Heritage, where it was won by

5. yours truly

It's still in the original old label slab when it was slabbed for the first time by Tom Hanlin, who has said that he did not press any of the books that he submitted.

JLA35-1.jpg

Another Pacific Coast, JLA #36.

CGC 9.6, White to Off-White Pages, Pacific Coast Pedigree. All alone at the top of the Census.

Another PC gem, and even higher on the scarcity scale than #35, because there are only 3 CGC 9.4 copies below this 9.6 copy. The book is gorgeous with fantastic ink reflectivity.

Same chain of ownership as the #35, so here's your opportunity to be only the 6th person to own it!

3. a major SA DC collector, who exited collecting and sold in 2003 to

4. major JLA collector Ace_Silver, who exited collecting in 2005 and listed it on Heritage, where it was won by

5. yours truly, who sold it in February 2009 on Heritage to

6. [insert your name here]

It's still in the original old label slab when it was slabbed for the first time by Tom Hanlin, who has said that he did not press any of the books that he submitted.

jla36.jpg

Interrupting the PC Parade briefly, here is JLA #37.

CGC 9.8, Off-White Pages. Tied with one other copy at the top of the Census.

To paraphrase Heritage's insightful description, in the entire run of JLA #1-40, only three copies have been certified 9.8 as of January 2009, and this copy and the #24 are two of them.

It is one of the easier earlier JLAs to find in ultra-HG, so it's not entirely surprising that this is the only issue between #1-40 that has multiple 9.8 copies. I'm kind of surprised that a 9.8 copy of #28 has not emerged yet. Anyways, I bought this book in January 2004 from Steve Lauterbach, so my guess is that it was probably pressed, although I didn't think to ask him at the time.

jla37.jpg

Staying with the CGC 9.8 theme, but going back to the PCs, we now present a lovely JLA #43.

CGC 9.8, Off-White to White Pages, Pacific Coast Collection.

It basically doesn't get any better than this. The book is flat out gorgeous and features the Royal Flush gang who I guess were pretty popular during the "Go-Go Checks" Era because they appeared on a number of JLA covers during this period. Amazingly enough, it's not all alone at the top of the Census, as there is another 9.8 copy, which I believe is also from the PC collection. Yes, the PC collection has duplicates of this book, and they're both superb! :o There are no 9.6 copies currently in the Census, though, which means that except for the 2 freak PC copies, it's a long way down to owning "mere" 9.4 copies.

The chain of ownership for this book is shorter than the #35 and #36, as only 4 people have ever owned this book:

3. a major SA DC collector, who sold it in 2002 to

4. moi.

Totally virgin, unless it was pressed by the PC OO for some reason, because Tom Hanlin has said he didn't press it, yada yada yada.

jla43-1.jpg

Now we come to the last 9.6 in this run, JLA #44.

CGC 9.6, White Pages, Pacific Coast Pedigree

This is one of the few books I`m offering that`s not at the top of the Census. Still, it`s a gorgeous white-paged PC that`s tied with one other book in second place, behind one 9.8 copy.

Same chain of ownership as the #35 and #36, so be only the 6th owner of this book. Tom Hanlin, the guy who slabbed the book, has said that the book was not pressed.

jla44-1.jpg

Down to the last 2 books. Hope you guys have enjoyed the posts and commentary... Only CGC 9.8s left.

Here we have JLA #47.

CGC 9.8, Off-White to White Pages, Pacific Coast Collection.

A super book, although not one of my favorite JLA covers. Amazingly, this book is tied with 2 others for top grade. 3 9.8 copies, but no 9.6 copies. Go figure. I believe one of the other 9.8s is also a PC, one of many duplicates in the collection. Don`t know about the third copy.

Like the #43, you can be only the fifth person to have ever owned this book in its 43 years:

3. a major SA DC collector, who sold it in 2002 to

4. yours truly, who sold it in February 2009 to

5. you, you lucky devil!

Totally virgin book, slabbed by Tom Hanlin who has said he didn't press it.

jla47-1.jpg

They're all no reserve auctions, so what the hell, take a shot and maybe a book will slip through the cracks. We're in an economic depression, you know. :P

Anyways, as a wise man once said, the underbidder is just as important as the winning bidder. Put a different way, thrill bidding is accepted and encouraged! lol

I'll probably be the underbidder on a lot of these, but I'm hoping to pull through on at least one of them... :grin:

Excellent commentary on the books, Tim... (thumbs u

Just stumbled on this thread today...

Thanks Johnny!

I guess this means I did a good job of not inadvertently pimping this sales thread in the SA Forum. lol