• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could only go to 1 Comic Con each year?

57 posts in this topic

I've never been to Chicago or New York cons......and I'm sure they are fantastic......

But San Diego is just WOW !!! The amount of everything that can even be considered to be a part of POP CULTURE is there !!! Stuff that is very cool and interesting but not neccessarily comic. Video game makers !! Hollywood Production compainies !! Manga !! Model makers !! Comics !! Comic Art !!

I'll bet Chicago and New York both have all that stuff too.....but what I bet they don't have is........

San Diego sunshine !! .... and West Coast Micro-Brew !! (thumbs u

I've never been to Chicago or New York cons......and I'm sure they are fantastic......

But San Diego is just WOW !!! The amount of everything that can even be considered to be a part of POP CULTURE is there !!! Stuff that is very cool and interesting but not neccessarily comic. Video game makers !! Hollywood Production compainies !! Manga !! Model makers !! Comics !! Comic Art !!

I'll bet Chicago and New York both have all that stuff too.....but what I bet they don't have is........

San Diego sunshine !! .... and West Coast Micro-Brew !! (thumbs u

24-7 Sunshine and terrible local food can be over rated. :shy:

Wizard World Chicago's the one for me. Lots of great comics to check out plus it's less than 100 miles from my house. (thumbs u

I couldn't attend last year ( :cry:) but I'm looking forward to going this year. I would also like to attend the Forum dinner and meet many of you in person. Sounds like a great time! :banana:

(P.S. I may end up asking one of you to crash at your hotel room. Depends on how much I drink at the Forum dinner!) lol

Shark

I have been to both Chicago and SD multiple times, and Chicago is better if you are there to buy books, SD is better if you like to people watch, check out upcoming movies/comics/videogames, or go to panels. I enjoyed both, but I am more of a buyer/seller so I prefer Chicago.

If I could fly to only 1 comicon, it would be Chicago Wizard also. If I was limited to driving to only 1 USA comicon, it would be to the vastly expanded guest list at the annual Emerald comicon in Seattle, WA. They have finally overtaken the excellent semi-annual 1 day Portland, OR comicon. :blush:

San Diego. The comics are there to buy. The artists are there to meet and get sigs/sketches. Huge number of panels to attend and movies to watch. When you get burn-out, take a bay cruise, go to Mexico or the zoo.

Now, if only they could take care of the hotel problem.

San Diego. The comics are there to buy. The artists are there to meet and get sigs/sketches. Huge number of panels to attend and movies to watch. When you get burn-out, take a bay cruise, go to Mexico or the zoo.

Now, if only they could take care of the hotel problem.

how early does one need to typically book a room?

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

Star power is cool and all, but I'm all about the books and having a good time either by myself or with other people. If I had the extra money, I'd go to SD second, then NYCC.

I only go to one comicon a year, the Emerald City Comicon in Seattle, WA. But I think if I could go to another it would be the New York one for a lot of the old time creators. It would be great to meet Stan Lee and get him to sign a book or something.

I'll always attend NYCC because it's in my backyard - so that's my 1 show.

If time, money and the hassle of booking hotels 1 year in advance is not an issue for you then SDCC is still the greatest show in the world. It's still about 4x the size of NY and has a mix of everything. NYCC is probably second.

After that, as others have pointed out, it depends on what your focus is:

I'm sure you can rank them by category. For example (fill in your show):

- guests? SDCC, NYCC, Heroes Con

- comics? SDCC, NYCC, Chicago

- original art? SDCC, NYCC

- manga? Phoenix, SDCC, NYCC

- pop culture? SDCC, NYCC

- local food? NY, Chicago, Heroes Con, Baltimore, Emerald City

- local sight seeing? All cons

- con experience? SDCC, NYCC, Heroes Con

- value (cost for travel, hotel, airfare)? Heroes Con, Philly

I'm always looking to attend other shows as part of mini-vacations so I'm glad to see diversity on this list. I've never been to Seattle so Emerald City Con may be a show to attend in the future. :headbang:

Cheers!

N