• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could only go to 1 Comic Con each year?

57 posts in this topic

San Diego. The comics are there to buy. The artists are there to meet and get sigs/sketches. Huge number of panels to attend and movies to watch. When you get burn-out, take a bay cruise, go to Mexico or the zoo.

Now, if only they could take care of the hotel problem.

how early does one need to typically book a room?

I book my room 11 months ahead. (shrug)

San Diego. The comics are there to buy. The artists are there to meet and get sigs/sketches. Huge number of panels to attend and movies to watch. When you get burn-out, take a bay cruise, go to Mexico or the zoo.

Yea, me too. When I know we are going, I keep checking the SDCC website to see the dates for next years con......when they do.... I'm on it within a week. I prefer staying at one of the big close hotels.....but we are about 10 blocks out now. It'll be the electric tram ride for us......to and fro.

Yea, me too. When I know we are going, I keep checking the SDCC website to see the dates for next years con......when they do.... I'm on it within a week. I prefer staying at one of the big close hotels.....but we are about 10 blocks out now. It'll be the electric tram ride for us......to and fro.

geez, I guess I need to get on it. Is the fight usually for hotels within walking distance or is it for pretty much anywhere within 15-20 miles ?

When I go I just crash with some buddy and his wife who do all the work. :wishluck:

I've never been to Chicago or New York cons......and I'm sure they are fantastic......

But San Diego is just WOW !!! The amount of everything that can even be considered to be a part of POP CULTURE is there !!! Stuff that is very cool and interesting but not neccessarily comic. Video game makers !! Hollywood Production compainies !! Manga !! Model makers !! Comics !! Comic Art !!

I'll bet Chicago and New York both have all that stuff too.....but what I bet they don't have is........

San Diego sunshine !! .... and West Coast Micro-Brew !! (thumbs u

24-7 Sunshine and terrible local food can be over rated. :shy:

I've never had any trouble finding something good to eat and coming from Oregon.......I'll take all the sunshine I can get .... (thumbs u

Some of the best food I've ever eaten is in the Gaslamp District,try Lou and Mickeys steak house right across the street from the con.I swear to you,you will never have a better prime rib and lobster.There's also a great Irish Pub called Dublins awesome traditionalI rish food,and the Guiness flows forever. :cloud9:

YEH, 10 blocks is waaaay too far to walk...

geez, I guess I need to get on it. Is the fight usually for hotels within walking distance or is it for pretty much anywhere within 15-20 miles ?

Well.....its like this. Every hotel room withing 3 miles of the convention center is gonna be booked.......the sooner you get something......the closer you will be.

When I go I just crash with some buddy and his wife who do all the work. :wishluck:

Must be nice to have a buddy who's wife is THAT cool :golfclap: (thumbs u

YEH, 10 blocks is waaaay too far to walk...

Its two short blocks to the trolley station. As for the place being 10 blocks out.....I'm stuck. We have a small 1 bdrm condo......and thats just where it is. Its not too bad of a place. And the really nice thing is.....its paid for (thumbs u

I have stayed....in years past.....at.....

The El Cortez (thumbs u

The US Grant (thumbs u

The Holiday Inn bayside (thumbs u

The Omni at Horton Plaza (thumbs u

The Hyatt Regency 2 blocks away (thumbs u

but never at the Marriot :( which is right next door to the Convention Center

I'm happy with our place.

Well.....its like this. Every hotel room withing 3 miles of the convention center is gonna be booked.......the sooner you get something......the closer you will be.

Must be nice to have a buddy who's wife is THAT cool :golfclap: (thumbs u

lol it would be nice. I'm not sure such a lovely creature exists. Welcome a virtual stranger into her small cramped home away from home and spend the next 4 nights listening to me fart and choke and snore. Worst of all, the hubby and I would get drunk, buy comics, sing Christmas carols and trade underwear :sick:

Don't think a lass like that could exist in this universe. But hey Mike, what's your wife like?

lol it would be nice. I'm not sure such a lovely creature exists. Welcome a virtual stranger into her small cramped home away from home and spend the next 4 nights listening to me fart and choke and snore. Worst of all, the hubby and I would get drunk, buy comics, sing Christmas carols and trade underwear :sick:

Don't think a lass like that could exist in this universe. But hey Mike, what's your wife like?

She is definately "the better half". She is the perfect hostess, and the picture of kindness but with the kookiest sense of humor. If she starts laughing at something.......it just makes you laugh too ! She knows so much history, trivia and wierd information it boggles the mind ( I still beat her at Scrabble though :grin: ) If I didn't have her I'd probably live in a cave somewhere.....with my comics. But we are solidly happy together..... you know.....we are soul mates. Been married for 18 years now. She makes doll clothes for a living and WOW....she is really REALLY good. Sells internationally....(check the pic below) She makes these "to scale" outfits that are goin for $250 + apiece !!

And get this....( we are in our 50's now ) she got interested in Roller Derby lately. Freakin Roller Derby !!! :o ..... where girls skate around and battle for position and knock each other down and stuff. She hadn't skated in years and years, but got so motivated she tried out for the team and got accepted to the beginers squad !! :o Its a crack up cuz she's twice as old as the rest of em. Her skater name is......."Grand Muthah" :grin: :grin: .......and all the other girls love her cuz she's kind of a novelty......and a really good skater too. You will like her. Heres a few pics of a Legolas outfit she made for someone.....

greenleaf.jpg

imriel_ready.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

And here she is.........

IMG_1642.jpg

I'll bet you wanted to see her in Roller Derby mode huh ? :grin:

Grand Muthah

rollergirl2-1.jpg

She is definately "the better half". She is the perfect hostess, and the picture kindness but with the kookiest sense of humor. If she starts laughing at something.......it just makes you laugh too ! She knows so much history, trivia and wierd information it boggles the mind ( I still beat her at Scrabble though :grin: ) If I didn't have her I'd probably live in a cave somewhere.....with my comics. But we are solidly happy together..... you know.....we are soul mates. Been married for 18 years now. She makes doll clothes for a living and WOW....she is really REALLY good. Sells internationally....(check the pic below) She makes these "to scale" outfits that are goin for $250 + apiece !!

And get this....( we are in our 50's now ) she got interested in Roller Derby lately. Freakin Roller Derby !!! :o..... where girls skate around and battle for position and knock each other down and stuff. She hadn't skated in years and years, but got so motivated she tried out for the team and got accepted to the beginers squad !! :o Its a crack up cuz she's twice as old as the rest of em. Her skater name is......."Grand Muthah" :grin: :grin: .......and all the other girls love her cuz she's kind of a novelty......and a really good skater too. You will like her. Heres a few pics of a Legolas outfit she made for someone.....

greenleaf.jpg

imriel_ready.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

And here she is.........

IMG_1642.jpg

Grand Muthah

rollergirl2-1.jpg

Those dolls are pretty cool, kind of remind me of Gelflings from The Dark Crystal

They are called BJD's.....(ball jointed dolls) and run $500 - $2000 apiece. There made mostly in Japan and Korea and theres a whole BJD network ....just like comics.....that she is involved with.

Some one who owns one......commissioned her to make a Legolas outfit from The Lord Of The Rings......and this is what she came up with. She always does a picture story before sending the outfit away. This was near Mt. Batchelor in the cascade range.

They are called BJD's.....(ball jointed dolls) and run $500 - $2000 apiece. There made mostly in Japan and Korea and theres a whole BJD network ....just like comics.....that she is involved with.

Some one who owns one......commissioned her to make a Legolas outfit from The Lord Of The Rings......and this is what she came up with. She always does a picture story before sending the outfit away. This was near Mt. Batchelor in the cascade range.

awesome work (thumbs u

She is definately "the better half". She is the perfect hostess, and the picture of kindness but with the kookiest sense of humor. If she starts laughing at something.......it just makes you laugh too ! She knows so much history, trivia and wierd information it boggles the mind ( I still beat her at Scrabble though :grin: ) If I didn't have her I'd probably live in a cave somewhere.....with my comics. But we are solidly happy together..... you know.....we are soul mates. Been married for 18 years now. She makes doll clothes for a living and WOW....she is really REALLY good. Sells internationally....(check the pic below) She makes these "to scale" outfits that are goin for $250 + apiece !!

And get this....( we are in our 50's now ) she got interested in Roller Derby lately. Freakin Roller Derby !!! :o ..... where girls skate around and battle for position and knock each other down and stuff. She hadn't skated in years and years, but got so motivated she tried out for the team and got accepted to the beginers squad !! :o Its a crack up cuz she's twice as old as the rest of em. Her skater name is......."Grand Muthah" :grin: :grin: .......and all the other girls love her cuz she's kind of a novelty......and a really good skater too. You will like her. Heres a few pics of a Legolas outfit she made for someone.....

greenleaf.jpg

imriel_ready.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

And here she is.........

IMG_1642.jpg

Grand Muthah

rollergirl2-1.jpg

You are far from normal. Ironically I managed a roller rink for 3 years. I competed in Dance, freedance and Original Set Pattern for 10 years with a partner and we were ranked 5th in the country when we finally hung up our rollerskates. I also spent most of my free nights for years at the rink skating to disco. Sounds like your wife and I would have a lot to talk about.

heh heh.....whats normal ? I yam what I yam........on accounts of I reads me comics !! You must be pretty coordinated and have good balance Dave.....

I rode a skateboard for quite a few years .....but never skates.