• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw Heritage books

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone know who it is that grades the raw books that are for sale in the Heritage auctions? Anyone bought much raw stuff from them? Since they have those really big scans, I looked at a few NM- FF's that might be interesting, but all looked over graded. Which left me wondering who does the grading, the consignor or someone at Heritage?

Brian

I've bought some mid-grade raw books off them (lots of three funny animal titles) and the grading was variable. All were graded VG, and though some were solid enough for the grade, one had a detached cover. I suspect that grade- fudging (as I call it, where the average grade is given in multiple item lots but one or two books in the lot are usually stinkers) is common enough generally.

I'm waiting for some high grade stuff. Have to say that it's best to rely on the scans for high grade, as I feel that they do overgrade on at least some of the "mid-high grade" books (i.e. VF+, VF/NM). The scans are very good, but as has been mentioned on this board, they're at maximum brightness setting, which can hide defects.

Which left me wondering who does the grading, the consignor or someone at Heritage?

Oops. Didn't answer that bit. I have no idea, although the grading does seem consistent (but not CGC standard). With that in mind, I'd say someone at Heritage, but your guess etc. Besides, having the consignor grade the book wouldn't work. Everything would be massively overgraded!

I have bought lots of raw books from them (200 or more). Sometimes the grading was right on (IMO) and other times not. I actually emailed them a few months ago saying that they needed to tighten up there grading on some lots or they would become SNE South (or Mid-West, whatever).

Not sure if I have bought any raw books since that time.

The biggest problem I had (and have with all scans) is surface wear (i.e. non-color breaking creases). A number of the VF/NM or better books have surface wear that doesn't show up in the scan but CGC would definitely downgrade for.

Does anyone know who it is that grades the raw books that are for sale in the Heritage auctions? Anyone bought much raw stuff from them? Since they have those really big scans, I looked at a few NM- FF's that might be interesting, but all looked over graded. Which left me wondering who does the grading, the consignor or someone at Heritage?

Brian

I bought on comic from them raw on ebay. An ASM 23 that they listed as F/VF. It came back from CGC as 6.0. I had the option of returning it for a refund (they give 60 days or something for raw stuff on ebay). But I would have been out grading fees and postage. So I flipped it on ebay and made a whopping $4.52 on the whole deal, including CGC fees. It's better than losing money though.

So my experience is that they overgrade. But one comic does not make a trend.

I've only bought 2 raw books from them and the grading was borderline on both. An early FF that was advertised as VG+.... and it was, but it was borderline.

I also won a F/VF copy of Jesse James #1. The book is really nice, BUT it is missing a top staple and the description did not note this. (The bottom staple was tight, so the book was solid.) I was annoyed, but according to OS Grading Guide, a missing staple is acceptable in the grade... so I guess their grading is technically accurate in this case.

I've been happy with my raw Heritage purchases (three so far) BUT:

1. All the books were mid-grade, F/VF at best, and

2. I paid 1/2 to 2/3 guide for everything (including the vig) so I felt the price was right.

Heritage does have the advantage of HUGE scans, which let you make bidding judgments a lot easier than you can with eBay. Just keep in mind that they do turn the brightness way up which makes the book look "shinier" that it may really be.

I bought 3 Hot Rod comics from them, one listed VF the other VF+. I'd say both were VF. They came from some new collection they were hyping, saying the pages were really nice...and they were!

But I can see from their scans that some books seemed way off. Just supersize their scans and make your own decision on the grade before you bid.

Timely