• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for a little info . . .

48 posts in this topic

I must argue the point that NM books were selling below book value because between 95-99 I put together my complete NM run of Cap America and did it for a very low cost. I was searching my records and the total cost I spent for the book's 100-230 was $400. That was with spending $50 on a NM #100. I also picked up many other books at this time that I stuck away for my sons college education and most of those books are selling for 10-20 times of what I bought them for.

So yes I'm with JC on this one. thumbsup2.gif

I'm completely with JC and Richnerd on this one. I found unreal bargains all through the 90's , especially from 97-99. In the first half of the decade, my experience was that silver and bronze could be had, even in solid NM, for 70% of guide. GA books, even restored books, were booming, as were the endless supply of Valiant, Image, etc... Then, with the advent of ebay, I found more super-HG stuff below guide, than I ever imagined. I'm sure plenty of people sold HG at or above guide at the same time, but there were unbelievable bargains as well. In particular, a few steals I got from nochips back in 98 stand out. Why no one else bid on these books, I'll never know, but they were there to be had. Now, that would never happen.

Made me ponder a question as well.....has the comics market ever seen price increases on the scale that developed since CGC came on the scene? I've heard stories of GA comics (Timely especially) almost overnight soaring to silly money (at the time) levels. Has there ever been a price phenomenon such as we've seen with the start of CGC?

AH, YES!!!!!!

Ever heard of Valiant!!!!!

Book sells for $1.50 cover and a few months later it's $50. A few months later it's back to $1.50.

To paraphrase MC Hammer, "CGC can't touch that".

I'm completely with JC and Richnerd on this one. I found unreal bargains all through the 90's , especially from 97-99. In the first half of the decade, my experience was that silver and bronze could be had, even in solid NM, for 70% of guide. GA books, even restored books, were booming, as were the endless supply of Valiant, Image, etc... Then, with the advent of ebay, I found more super-HG stuff below guide, than I ever imagined. I'm sure plenty of people sold HG at or above guide at the same time, but there were unbelievable bargains as well. In particular, a few steals I got from nochips back in 98 stand out. Why no one else bid on these books, I'll never know, but they were there to be had. Now, that would never happen.

I didn't really make the point I wanted to, which was that, at the very same time, you could easily buy true NM for less than guide and also sell it for more than guide. There were hundreds of NM books I didn't buy during this period because the seller was asking at or above guide, and I'm sure they got it from other buyers(there were many I did buy, as well). However, I know I also picked up unbelievable bargains during this time. The perfect example is that, at the same time FD was getting at or above guide on NM books on ebay (and I know he was because I paid close attention to what he sold from 96-99), I was buying NM books off ebay for less than guide (something I can't really do now). As a rule, did NM silver and bronze sell below guide in the late 90's, no. But were there some unreal deals to be had, you better believe it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must argue the point that NM books were selling below book value because between 95-99 I put together my complete NM run of Cap America and did it for a very low cost. I was searching my records and the total cost I spent for the book's 100-230 was $400. That was with spending $50 on a NM #100.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cap America has always been a notoriously bad seller. So essentially you paid $350 for 101-230. That sounds about right......

Jim

The real question is, are your NM books, really NM?

You can NEVER look at guide prices before CGC and get an absolute true picture of pricing. Some dealers NM are CGC VF. So if someone said they sold a NM for $500 and guide was $600, did the book sell below guide? Only, if it was a true NM. If it's only a VF or VF+, it sold for over guide.

NUFF SAID!!!!!!!

Well since 100-110 have come back from cgc with a 9.8 or 9.6 grading I would say yes REALLY NM!! So 10_5_3.gif

10_2_13.gif

Whatcha think greggy, were you buying Jim's (loisandclark's) NM DC's back in '97/98/99 for less than guide? confused-smiley-013.gif

Me neither...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Well...that was before my pre-sniping days so I did have lots of fun bidding stuff up back in the day. Sure, the harder to find stuff..I had to pay overguide. However, I was lucky to chance upon some nice unread DCs that I got for really nice prices. Like whole 20 cent runs of Witching Hours and the like for about $2-3 Canuck bucks each! insane.gif