• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If a crash does come....what will YOU do?

107 posts in this topic

I won't abandon it, but I will be scarfing up deals when the arise, assuming I like the issues in question. I'll likely take a "wait and see" approach, as you never know how low some of those Bronze books will go.

I'll also be fulfilling my prediction of the USM run for at, or under, cover, and that one looks to be well on its way.

Okay, you're an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. It's official.

So, you think YOU will be the ONLY person left who wants books after the "Crash"? I always assumed that the word "Crash" was hyperbole, but apparently not. You honestly believe that there will be some sort of Grand Comic Book Sell-Off with collectors leaping out of their parent's basement windows and burning their collections as giant, symbolic funeral pyres alongside their 80's baseball cards and beanie babies?

I almost can't get my mind around the enormity of this stupidity.

I used to think that you were one of the few people who actually had his head the proper distance from his [!@#%^&^], but wooooo boy you proved me wrong! But don't misunderstand, I also think your detractors who think the comic market is healthy and will remain self-sustaining and profitable for the long term are complete dimbulbs as well. You're in company, I won't say good company, but company nonetheless.

Too true. I was one of the dumbarses buying graded sportscards at the time. Buying common PSA 9 cards of Vladimir Guerrero, Frank Thomas, etc for about $10 each (thinking to myself "Well, it costs $10 to grade them so they must be worth at least $10!"), and now they're worth about $2 each.

Now let me get this straight, you were part of the Beanie Baby Crash....

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And then took part in the Graded Sportscard Meltdown......

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And you're now here, buying CGC comics.....

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey!!

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Well... I'll be back in a bit... after I..... get my CGC comics... ummmm..... in order, yeah, I gotta collate my CGC books.... yeah.

I almost can't get my mind around the enormity of this stupidity.

So when I do nab the USM run for cover price, what will that make you?

Unsurprised. Christ, JC... you act like a comic book has never decreased in value!

I cant talk about coins, but I made a small fortune flipping PSA graded cards. One thing I can tell you is this: the QUALITY collectibles will always retain value. Whoever said that modern stuff became roadkill is only partially correct. The people that took a real bath were those buying issues that were based more on hype and speculation than on real desirablility, including those who bought junk only for the label and those who paid insane prices for top grades.

It's true that just about everything took a substantial hit, but it was a managible hit on cards that were a staple of the market rather than issues that weren't desirable before grading. PSA 10's had truly become ridiculous and anyone with common sense could tell that the microscopic differences in card quality were not enough to sustain the price difference between 10's and 9's. PSA 10 investors got killed. Those who bought PSA 9's of the same cards didnt get hurt as badly.

An 86 Fleer Jordan rookie in PSA 10 (which I would equate to a Hulk 181 - the first true appearance of the #1 "character" - not common but certainly not rare) went from $50,000+ in PSA 10 to approx $6,000 in today's market. That is a sick loss. The PSA 9 went from around $1700 or so to $1000. Not good by any stretch, but not deadly either. Other modern cards did better, some did worse.

My point though is that not all the modern and bronze stuff will be absolutely devalued. Just the junk stuff and the stuff purchased only for the label (I'd say 9.8 and up).

[it was like someone had jabbed a hot poker in your eye, the outrage you showed about being, twice removed, associated with someone who was fat.

Wrong, I have nothing against fat people, but I do get a tad miffed when you juvenile deliquents take Joanna's comments and run with them.

I often wonder how old you guys are, and by that I mean mentally.

An 86 Fleer Jordan rookie in PSA 10 (which I would equate to a Hulk 181 - the first true appearance of the #1 "character" - not common but certainly not rare) went from $50,000+ in PSA 10 to approx $6,000 in today's market. That is a sick loss. The PSA 9 went from around $1700 or so to $1000. Not good by any stretch, but not deadly either.

That's a pretty fair synopsis of the PSA market, and the PSA 10's were cards that hit the speculative bubble and sold for multiples of the next grade.

I really feel that PSA 9's were bought by collectors and therefore had shorter to fall, while the PSA 10's were propped up by spec bidding and hype. I also heard many times that "there wiill always be a buyer for the very best", but they forgot to understand "but at what price?".

Sound familiar to anyone?

I wanted to thank those who took the time to post actual sales/crash data relating to other hobbies. I kept an eye on the other melt-downs, but it's nice to see others posting their specifc experiences.

flowerred.gif

Iwent from $50,000+ in PSA 10 to approx $6,000 in today's market. That is a sick loss

just a direct question since it's been alluded to in this thread, but not EXPLICIT STATED...

has the card market crashed? i.e. "the big one" that some of us are predicting for comics? yes? no?

i've typed in SGC PSA etc. into ebay in the past - saw b.bonds PSA 10s going for crazy amounts... are they down to the earth now?

were a lot of people "washed" by the speculation?

So when I do nab the USM run for cover price, what will that make you?

Unsurprised. Christ, JC... you act like a comic book has never decreased in value!

So why are you calling me stupid?

Because you're using ONE modern example, an example of Marvel's undying arrogance and oft-repeated-and-always-failed business model, as validation of your shortsighted theory.

You want to talk "Crash", then sack up and say what you mean. I can't believe that you actually think you can use a MODERN book as an example, particularly with the way you trash Valiant all the time.

A TRUE crash will reach far beyond modern books, JC. I think you know that. Well, I thought you knew that. Maybe your constant vacillating is throwing me off? Is this merely a ploy to lure others to the Dark Side? Are you feigning surrender in order to gain the favor of others who found you too confrontational before? Again, I ask this because I can't believe you are truly this short-sighted.

If you're not stupid, prove me wrong. Sack up, say what you mean, and stand up for yourself. If you think the comic market is going to CRASH, then say it will CRASH and don't cite "new fad" MODERN examples... give examples of books that will crash across the ages. Why would you cite a "hot" ultra-volatile MODERN book unless you were desperate for validation?

And for the love of god, get over your weight issues.