• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If a crash does come....what comics will be afected?

18 posts in this topic

After all those threads talking about the crash,i don't know what to think anymore..

I have an Ultimate Spider-Man #1 white cover cgc 9.8,and i don't know if i should sell it now..i don't collect for $$$ but if i sell the comic before the crash,if you are right,when the crash comes i'm will be able to buy the same comic 3 times whith the money i can get now,right?

So,what specific comics will be really afected?

Newer and common books will affected the most Your book qualifies on both counts and is a variant which is sort of a manufactured collectible. If you simply enjoy having the book keep it If you plan on making $ with it then sell for the best price now as the trend is for it to slowly drift downward. If you want to buy and hold comics as a part of your collection and a long term investment then stick with vintage stuff

I don't think there's too many people on here (save Darth) who, in pure monetary terms, would not recommend selling that USM 1.

How many are in 9.8 now? 120? in 9.6? 300?

(P.S. just guessing on the number growth, but I know they're high).

... this is the kind of thread that actually precipitates crashes...

now some of us are wondering (hum... i'm holding HCGC in a particular so-and-so comic... maybe i should sell....). that line of thinking pushes one to also, bid less, hence buy less, and then comics become cheaper.... and cheaper...

this forum should be called the crash-discussion forum....

I'm going to agree with Joe (Ouch, that hurts), but a USM #1 White Variant would, in my opinion be EXACTLY, the type of book that would be hurt, if there is a downturn in the comic book market.

Newer books (regardless of the limited amount of distribution) are almost always in HIGH (or ULTRA-HIGH) Grade. And since they are slabbed, that tend to stay that way. In other words, there will most likely always be an AMPLE supply of these books available.

for spideys though...

there IS a movie this upcoming May which WILL have a positive effect on your USM.

the question is whether u think the crash will occur between now and then. even if it does, there's always a small "second peak" as prices have come down a bit, and speculators re-rush in to prop prices up again, which will ultimately be followed by the great crash (re: gene's graph on the coin market). with the timing of the movie - even if there IS a crash in early 2004 - i think u'll be safe with that "second wind" of the market.

but think about this for a moment...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

a great baseball manager once said, it's better to trade a player too early than too late. applying that philosophy here - i don't want to scare anyone but...

It's better to sell too early than too late.

Have you guys been following the USM CGC auctions on EBay? Nothing outside of the first few issues gets any real cash, and even books like 5-7 aren't anywhere near where they were.

I'd say the Low Price Demon be working his way up to the White Variant.

In other words, there will most likely always be an AMPLE supply of these books available

Yes but will there always be an AMPLE supply of sellers who are willing to let go of this particular CGC 9.8 USM 1 at anything near crash market prices?

a true collector would hold. A flipper would sell now and then kick themselves in the head for not holding on to it til spidey 2? Surely the crash won't come for another 5 years on this book confused-smiley-013.gif

In other words, there will most likely always be an AMPLE supply of these books available

Yes but will there always be an AMPLE supply of sellers who are willing to let go of this particular CGC 9.8 USM 1 at anything near crash market prices?

a true collector would hold. A flipper would sell now and then kick themselves in the head for not holding on to it til spidey 2? Surely the crash won't come for another 5 years on this book confused-smiley-013.gif

And what of the declining interest in comic books in general? Will there always be an AMPLE supply of buyers?

a true collector would hold. A flipper would sell now and then kick themselves in the head for not holding on to it til spidey 2? Surely the crash won't come for another 5 years on this book

I have to admit, I don't buy Modern Comics. But, I really believe the people who are paying $200 and up for a fairly new book, aren't really buying it because they HAVE TO HAVE it in their collection. About 5 months ago, one COLLECTOR was selling a collection of around 50 books (Golden to Modern). While he had some nice CGC'd books, he had 6 copies of USM White (CGC 9.4 to 9.8) and three non-graded copies (that he said should get between 9.6 to 9.8).

Yeah, I'm sure he just had to have all those copies to satisfy his collecting needs. ooo.gif

I passed on the collection, mostly because of those books.

Anything that isn't rare will be affected. ie most modern books, outrageously valued bronze books, etc. That's about it. I feel that most silver age and golden age books are fairly valued now, and they usually don't sell for crazy multiples so those won't fall too much.

So,what specific comics will be really afected?

Back to the original subject...

I'd vote for the RRP madness books, particularly the Batman and Batman/Superman books.

They aren't any more "rare" than the Museum Editions of a few years back.

Any Museum Editions bringing $1000+ lately? What % of their high do they bring? 10%?

It's not like Superman & Batman haven't been in the same comic book

since World's Finest Comics 60 years ago.

I may collect Valiant books, but I rarely pay more than cover price...

Which should be the RULE for ANY book under 10 years old.

Looking back with 20/20 hindsight, I know which books are worth $2,

and which ones aren't worth $0.02. It pays to be looking backwards.

Trust me, any "misses" you have when you have to pay $10 or $100 in 10 years

for some "instant success" that you missed because it started at $10 the first week

will be greatly outweighed by the savings of paying cover price or less

for the other 99.99% of books. And you might just save yourself the hassle of

"Spider-man is a Clone"/"They're having a Funeral for Superman" along the way.

thumbsup2.gif

Buy what you like... but if it's less than 10 years old,

and ESPECIALLY if it's less than 1 year old,

don't be caught paying more than cover.

If you're really buying it for the stories, get a subscription.

While he had some nice CGC'd books, he had 6 copies of USM White (CGC 9.4 to 9.8) and three non-graded copies (that he said should get between 9.6 to 9.8).

Based on this, I highly DOUBT that we could classify him as a pure COLLECTOR; speculator with hopes of flipping and attempting newbie dealer status, maybe? COLLECTOR...definitely not...

at any one time in the past, I have had no more than 10 copies of the USM 1 white; while I collect and read the series, I knew full well while amassing those white variants I was going to sell on eBay or offline eventually when the time and money wasa right.