• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anybody ever gotten an OA bargain at auction?

34 posts in this topic

Does getting pieces at $1-4 count?

Done it a number of times (though I won;t say where- most recent was a couple of weeks ago)

Better deals thoug hare multiple page lots at higher prices - ie $150 for 35 pages (humor art) or with some better material $400 for 16 (all by Wayne Boring) if my memeory is correct

Headache though in time of tight money is not to squander all your free cash on pieces just because they are cheap

Best George Hagenauer

Agreed on the 'being approached' after the auction by other parties. This used to happen all the time before ebay hid the winning bidder tags... so, you could say you got a bargain then...

Also agreed...if you had a higher max price and paid far less...that too constitutes a bargain...

Good points....all around.

This wasn't an auction, but on Ebay about 2 years ago, some poor soul put up a John Byrne Alpha Flight #3 Cover for the BIN price of $300.....After it was popped very quickly he was literally flooded with after offers of 10x the price to nix the original deal. He said he had to stick to his original deal.... :(

One of my favorite stories in regards to OA collecting is how I got this piece. Albert Moy put this DPS spread on eBay. The opening bid was resoable with no reserve, but it was still a bit beyond my means. So I bookmarked the auction (which is what us old timers would do before putting it on your 'watched list' was an option and th eoepning bid was too high to just place a small "watching bid" to keep it on the radar). I'd check the auction each night after work to see if it had been bid on to be swept off to unknown locations. Finally after 7 long days it was about to end and I was sure someoen would place a last minute bid hoping to get it for the lowest amount possible. Well, refresh after refresh after refresh it finally ends with no bids. I shot off an email within minutes asking if Albert would sell it to me off eBay (shhh. Don't tell eBay I did this). BUT, I asked for what amounted to about 15% less than it was listed for AND time payment!! Because, honestly, no one else wants the page or else they would have bid, right? :devil: He wrote back, and I'll never forget, he said, "I guess you really are 'mister-not-so-nice' Yes, I'll sell it to you." :golfclap:

Not sure what this page will go for now, but I'm guessing a bit more than I paid. (shrug)

73744.jpg.b6c19258a122bf0cc2401ff9074a8cca.jpg

I go to four or five local auctions a week to buy books and other things to sell on ebay. On very rare occasions I've found original comic art at these auctions, and sometimes I've gotten lucky with it.

I was outbid (giving up at $300) for a very nice and highly detailed Alfred Andriola Kerry Drake piece once.

I once got an original R. John Holmgren watercolor magazine illustration in a box of junk prints for $2. It was in poor condition unfortunately and only sold on ebay for $50.

My best buy was an original S. Gross New Yorker cartoon for $2.50.

Found this in the Fine Art category (not Comics) on eBay about five years ago for $250. Sold a month later to a dealer for $1800.

I miss it but did put the gain to good use!

Ghost_Rider_30_Chan.jpg

Nice ! I wonder how many boardies will check out the eBay Fine Art category after reading this lol

One of my favorite stories in regards to OA collecting is how I got this piece. Albert Moy put this DPS spread on eBay. The opening bid was resoable with no reserve, but it was still a bit beyond my means. So I bookmarked the auction (which is what us old timers would do before putting it on your 'watched list' was an option and th eoepning bid was too high to just place a small "watching bid" to keep it on the radar). I'd check the auction each night after work to see if it had been bid on to be swept off to unknown locations. Finally after 7 long days it was about to end and I was sure someoen would place a last minute bid hoping to get it for the lowest amount possible. Well, refresh after refresh after refresh it finally ends with no bids. I shot off an email within minutes asking if Albert would sell it to me off eBay (shhh. Don't tell eBay I did this). BUT, I asked for what amounted to about 15% less than it was listed for AND time payment!! Because, honestly, no one else wants the page or else they would have bid, right? :devil: He wrote back, and I'll never forget, he said, "I guess you really are 'mister-not-so-nice' Yes, I'll sell it to you." :golfclap:

Not sure what this page will go for now, but I'm guessing a bit more than I paid. (shrug)

wow! AMAZING PIECE! After I read all trades again recently when you approached me about the commission I realized just how AMAZING that series is, it really is peerless, and I enjoy it more than Watchmen or sandman. :applause: