• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT- A-ROID tested postive in 03

138 posts in this topic

I'm a Yankees fan through and through. This krap just stains the game and makes me give even greater admiration to those players that came before. A-Rod=A-Fraud. I just lost the little respect I had for him.

This krap just stains the game and makes me give even greater admiration to those players that came before.

How is that? Those olden-days players were going up against regular human beings, but now that virtually everyone is juicing, players feel the need to do something just to keep pace.

And as stated many times before, roids do little for improving baseball performance, but they do wonders for keeping healthy and recovering from injuries at lightning speeds. That's an advantage, but it's not like some stiff is going to juice up, and suddenly hit 50 home runs.

This krap just stains the game and makes me give even greater admiration to those players that came before.

How is that? Those olden-days players were going up against regular human beings, but now that virtually everyone is juicing, players feel the need to do something just to keep pace.

And as stated many times before, roids do little for improving baseball performance, but they do wonders for keeping healthy and recovering from injuries at lightning speeds. That's an advantage, but it's not like some stiff is going to juice up, and suddenly hit 50 home runs.

:cough cough: brady anderson :screwy::o but yeah, i agree, most everybody in the MLB was using it, more pitchers than hitters. :insane:

Brady Anderson is a mystery..... if that was 50hr season was steroid driven, why was it the only one? What was his next best hr total? 24 or so?

I don't like ARod, but I don't think steroids really made a difference for him. He hit 50+ in '07, when testing had been instituted, with 50+ game penalties for offenders.

Not exactly.... performance is definitely aided. See Bret Boone, for example, or T Hundley, guys who vanished after steroid use was tested for, and penalized. One player (don't recall who) summed it up as 'warning track power becoming home run power'.

No, I'm saying that was HIS only 50 hr season. And yes, it does stick out like a sore thumb. I'm asking....why was it the only one? If he was using, did he stop? If he stopped, why? SI had a great article on this exact question last summer.

Who looked better at age 41 Bonds(steroids)Ruth(alcohol abuse) or Maris(smoking abuse)? Bonds probally was the smarter of the three,plus the players of the 1960`s and 1970`s did lots of greenies(amphetimines).

doing drugs in baseball has been going on a long time to get the edge over a opponent.

baseball speed abuse since 1940`s

BB needs *'s for every era, before and after BB integrated with black players, greenies, steroids, if you were the most dominating player of your era, you should be in the HOF. also the history of BB can't be written without mentioning the steroid era.

When this guy went from a marginal utility man to an all-star after working out with Schwarzenegger and others, it wasn't long until the problem started spreading.

86ToppsBrianDowning.jpg

I don't mind the idea of the athletes juicing up - if they want to trash their bodies to make a buck, they'll do it. If it means I get to see 600 foot home runs and great pitchers go for an extra decade, I don't feel hurt by it.

We only had a about 25 years of the sport being "pure." Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, etc. didn't have to compete against black players and it took a while to fully integrate the game after Robinson broke in. By the 1980s, the juice was coming into play. I found it odd it took so long for people to be concerned.

Bonds WASN'T the most dominating player of his era...until he started to juice. And, his post-season performances were pathetic.

That having been said, he was headed for HOF numbers even without the 'roids.

I don't think he'd be such a lightning rod if he weren't such a . Ron Kittle, with the White Sox in the 80s, once asked him to sign some items for a charity auction. Bonds replied 'Sorry, I don't sign for white people'.

BS. Brady Anderson (former Oriole)is a good example. doh! Others beat me to him.

yes while we all can agree that bonds was a d-bag, but he won 3 MVP awards, and should be 4 in a row, if he didn't get robbed by the braves terry pendleton, before he started using the cream and the clear. that's pretty dominating to me. (shrug)

BS. Brady Anderson (former Oriole)is a good example. doh! Others beat me to him.

don't forget luis gonzales. :gossip:

No, no... that I know. i just have to look at his early 90s numbers etc vs his contemporaries. Sometimes the MVP goes to the best player on a good team (ie T Pendleton), so there may be some skew there as well.

You also wonder who else will be named, now that hundreds of documents from prior investigations have been released.

Remember what Lenny Dykstra looked like when Philly went to the Series in '93?

Not exactly.... performance is definitely aided. See Bret Boone, for example, or T Hundley, guys who vanished after steroid use was tested for, and penalized. One player (don't recall who) summed it up as 'warning track power becoming home run power'.

Sure, but it's mostly in the wrists and using your body for leverage, and around the year Brady Anderson hit 50, a lot of people got career highs for HRs... mostly due to the juiced ball. It was proven these were changed to accommodate a new rubber ring around the core and machine-wound tighter, and although MLB denies there is any difference, that's pretty :censored: insane if you ask me.

I think a University did a study where the new balls were found to fly 40-50 feet longer than the older design. That's pretty significant.

Sure, steroids, lighter and faster maple bats, horrible pitching, expansion, fast-tracking young pitchers to the majors, and a zillion other reasons contributed, but there were games where a stringbean pitcher would just wave at a ball and it would fly out of the park.