• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what do you think the future of comics holds in store??/

115 posts in this topic

how much are we talking here? if it's an amount where you need to take out a loan or even put it on CC to pay it off i would say stay away.

I am thinking of buying a FF 1 cgc 5.5. I have been saving for this book for some time now. I have actually been saving for an 8.0 but seeing the prices go up and up - I am now thinking of buying this one instead. When i first started saving for the 8.0 they were going for about 22k. With a 7.5 recently selling for 35k and an 8.5 selling for 69k I am scared that by the time I have my 22k for an "8.0" it might only get me a 6.0/6.5 or less. I don't have to take out a loan or use a cc but it is a significant amount of money for me to make a purchase with. I can afford to lose the money but I sure as heck do not want to.

I am not really planning on selling my core FF 1-102 set at all, maybe when I retire. I just don't want to spend this much on a book and have it be worth 2k if I NEED to sell it off 20 or 30 years down the line, or god forbid sooner. On the other hand, I am scared that if I dont buy it now it will go the way of AF 15 and I won't be able to ever afford a decent copy.

that's a nice book, but boy its a lot of money too. Its kind of amazing to me that a ff1 in FINE is now worth a small new car.

Is the condition really that important to you? For that kind of money I'd be happy to just have a 2.0 or a 6.0 slight p and pocket the difference. That's a huge amount of dough you'd save and you'd still get to finish your set. I know, I know, its not a VF but honestly who cares? wouldn't you rather save a massive amount of dough and not have to stress about whether your "investment" goes up? I think andrew is right is saying that if you have to think about it and discuss, you're probably trying to talk yourself into something that you shouldn't do.

I don't think I could settle for a 2.0. Unless it had some very nice eye appeal. I could settle for a fair priced 4.0 or 4.5 though. I can't seem to find any though that are priced anywhere near GPA. there is a nice 4.0 FS but the asking price is higher than what most 4.5s sell for. I'm not willing to overpay on a book just to "save" money. The 4.5 on comiclink is ok - but the pieces of tape on the fc will bug the out of me. if you guys know of any other FF1s for sale - please let me know. I am willing to consider a restored copy as long as peices haven't been added and there was no trimming. I would glady buy a ct copy if the price is current to the market.

The 5.5 is a safe purchase, my friend :thumbsup:

The speculation of a crash in value of books isn't viable (sorry JC :sorry: )

I started collecting in the mid 70's, and in 8 years had amassed the complete runs of every Marvel Superhero title (and some DCs - Adams/Wrightson - that I coveted as well) Hell I had reader duplicate runs of FF from #20-242, ASM 12-230, UXM 94-205 just to name a few). I was buying at least two copies of everything off the rack from '76 thru '81 and buying duplicate SA back issues for cheap. I look at the market now and am wondering "What crash?"

Even in the 90's when moderns suffered a price drop, BA and SA books have always remained consistent. And will continue to do so, especially keys...

I started collecting in the mid 70's, and in 8 years had amassed the complete runs of every Marvel Superhero title (and some DCs - Adams/Wrightson - that I coveted as well) Hell I had reader duplicate runs of FF from #20-242, ASM 12-230, UXM 94-205 just to name a few). I was buying at least two copies of everything off the rack from '76 thru '81 and buying duplicate SA back issues for cheap. I look at the market now and am wondering "What crash?"

Even in the 90's when moderns suffered a price drop, BA and SA books have always remained consistent. And will continue to do so, especially keys...

Let me play devil's advocate...

What do you base your argument on? Past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

lol

Thanks for clarifying, Bronty. Perhaps the point is clearer to him now... ;)

I was merely pointing out that your statement was untrue. :makepoint:

Are you a lawyer? lol

I can see you grilling the witness.... 'but....isn't it true that the 7-11 on the corner still has a n Archie title hidden among the magazines?'

:roflmao:

You've somehow completely ignored the impact of CGC on comic prices.....

has there ever been a point where books we're selling so high above guide the way the are now?

No. But we'd never fractionated HG as we have done in the CGC era. Pedigrees did often get multiples of guide pre-CGC though.

So to summarize, what goes up must keep going up, and can never fall. Great analysis :whistle::P

lol

Are you a lawyer? lol

I can see you grilling the witness.... 'but....isn't it true that the 7-11 on the corner still has a n Archie title hidden among the magazines?'

Are you an id iot? There are dozens of stores in my neighborhood that sell Marvel & DC books. :makepoint:

lol

Are you a lawyer? lol

Are you an id iot? There are dozens of stores in my neighborhood that sell Marvel & DC books. :makepoint:

so the newstand market is alive and well huh? :screwy:

lol

Are you a lawyer? lol

so the newstand market is alive and well huh? :screwy:

Did I even suggest that? You guys have fun..... :screwy:

Easy to call someone an id!ot behind a keyboard.... :gossip:

Back up your argument. Show me pictures of these fantastic newsstand sources of books. Don't waste my time with shots of a two title selection.

Newsstands simply do not carry books in any significant amounts anymore. The statement I made, while not ABSOLUTELY true, is effectively true. Not only that, the spinner racks in my area are gone. Books, if any, are slid in, among, and behind the magazines. The newsstand is no longer a viable source of books or a likely entry point for collectors. Period. :sumo:

Oh I see. So what you are trying to say, if you weren't suggesting that the newstand market is alive and well, was:

"There are dozens of stores in my neighborhood that *unsuccessfully attempt to* sell *three or four* Marvel & DC *titles a month*."

Are we getting there yet? You seem to be a little defensive. Why not just accept the obvious fact that comics books don't sell/barely sell at newstands? I mean I can't believe you even bothered bringing up that they *technically* still have an (incredibly pathetic) newstand presence.

Back up your argument. Show me pictures of these fantastic newsstand sources of books. Don't waste my time with shots of a two title selection.

Newsstands simply do not carry books in any significant amounts anymore. The statement I made, while not ABSOLUTELY true, is effectively true. Not only that, the spinner racks in my area are gone. Books, if any, are slid in, among, and behind the magazines. The newsstand is no longer a viable source of books or a likely entry point for collectors. Period. :sumo:

that pretty much sums it up!

You are the clear winner here...... (worship)