• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what do you think the future of comics holds in store??/

115 posts in this topic

The wealthiest generation also happens to be the generation that was buying SA off of the news stands. Many of them also happen to be entering their peak earning years, or have already topped out, financially. They're the ones currently holding up the market, and to suggest that future generations will even have the money, let alone the desire to keep buying these books at prices that will allow for consistent growth, is wishful thinking at best.

Broken record here. :makepoint:

They were saying the same thing about GA 25 years ago :shrug: at least the comic geeks I hung out with prophesized...

With the advent of the internet (and the public awareness the hobby has received over the last decade due to this), I don't think it's going to be the crushing demise some people think. These aren't Cabbage Patch Kids or Tickle Me Elmos...

The real problem right now is that basically Moderns suck azz and no one cares about mainstream titles as much as they used to, save for preserving their run...

Sad times for moderns, which ARE in jeopardy IMO...

I've been thinking the same thing about Moderns for years. The monthly format needs to go :hi::hi:

The wealthiest generation also happens to be the generation that was buying SA off of the news stands. Many of them also happen to be entering their peak earning years, or have already topped out, financially. They're the ones currently holding up the market, and to suggest that future generations will even have the money, let alone the desire to keep buying these books at prices that will allow for consistent growth, is wishful thinking at best.

They were saying the same thing about GA 25 years ago

Shoot, I just shot Diet Coke out my nose - seriously. :roflmao:

I hope you're not being serious, as that would ruin the best funny book joke I've heard in a long time.

I'm not too sure how many different ways I can say this; the internet, CGC, Ebay, and auction houses were not part of the equation 25 years ago, or even 10 years ago. The demographic wasn't a factor either, since they were busy earning the money they now have to buy funny books. You can't extrapolate forward based on history, without taking into account all of the factors that makes THEN different from NOW.

The hobby has aged rapidly, and this rapid acceleration is not sustainable. The numbers aren't there. You can talk about Timelys, FF 1s, AF 15s and Action 1s all you want, but those books don't make up the market. Even the entire GA era makes up a small segment of the hobby, quantitatively speaking. If those books continue doing well, but the rest tank, then the MARKET HAS CRASHED.

Everything is at its peak, RIGHT NOW. These conditions would need to be replicated indefinitely into the future in order for the majority of the high grade/end market to continue to flourish as it has. And that's impossible. People are going to die, collections are going to surface and at some point the market will be flooded.

I am thinking of buying a FF 1 cgc 5.5. I have been saving for this book for some time now. I have actually been saving for an 8.0 but seeing the prices go up and up - I am now thinking of buying this one instead. When i first started saving for the 8.0 they were going for about 22k. With a 7.5 recently selling for 35k and an 8.5 selling for 69k I am scared that by the time I have my 22k for an "8.0" it might only get me a 6.0/6.5 or less. I don't have to take out a loan or use a cc but it is a significant amount of money for me to make a purchase with. I can afford to lose the money but I sure as heck do not want to.

I am not really planning on selling my core FF 1-102 set at all, maybe when I retire. I just don't want to spend this much on a book and have it be worth 2k if I NEED to sell it off 20 or 30 years down the line, or god forbid sooner. On the other hand, I am scared that if I dont buy it now it will go the way of AF 15 and I won't be able to ever afford a decent copy.

This is the exact logic I was hearing about a year or two before the housing market crashed. That's scary. Obviously, prices will crash but will they increase 50% or 100% or 1000% before they crash? Who knows. I am definitely waiting to buy anything of significance until there is a correction. And if I have to wait years, that's fine by me. It's not like I actually NEED this stuff.

The thing that always concerns me when considering the future is the lack of cultivation of new and younger fans.

Newsstands don't carry comics anymore.

To my shock this morning, I walked into a grocery store and saw ASM #583 books for sale in the book/magazine section. 2nd printings of the Obama cover.

And I've always seen comics at Borders or Barnes n' Nobles. I wouldn't say that isn't an entry point for new collectors.

The thing that always concerns me when considering the future is the lack of cultivation of new and younger fans.

To my shock this morning, I walked into a grocery store and saw ASM #583 books for sale in the book/magazine section. 2nd printings of the Obama cover.

And I've always seen comics at Borders or Barnes n' Nobles. I wouldn't say that isn't an entry point for new collectors.

I would. I frequent Borders/Barnes n' Nobles/Books-a-Million because I read books other than comics also. I always look in the comic section while I am there to see what new tpb that they have available. The only people I see around the comics are people that are already fans or fans that don't collect anymore, but still want to know whats going on. Granted they may have a son or daughter with them, but it still isn't an entry point. The above book stores have so many things to distract the kids away from comic (i.e, video game magazines). A LCS is an entry point. If your father brought you to a store that only specialized in comics than you are more to be interested in it also.

Sure comics is an expense that we can all cut from our budgets however comics are used as an escape from the every day grind, they help people forget about stuff like the troubled economy. I think comics will continue to sell and older more rare books will maintaain and increase in value.

No one can realistically predict what will happen longer term to comic values however this is not the first time the economy has been troubled. Comics have survived every other time and will continue to again.

The new way will be digital comics on your Kindle,I-Phone or Google phone. Maybe even the Nintendo DS Lite.Give it time and I am not talking the 30 year old somethings and up, I am talking the younger generation who are growing up with the new technology. The E-ink is really easy on your eyes.

They were saying the same thing about GA 25 years ago :shrug: at least the comic geeks I hung out with prophesized...

With the advent of the internet (and the public awareness the hobby has received over the last decade due to this), I don't think it's going to be the crushing demise some people think. These aren't Cabbage Patch Kids or Tickle Me Elmos...

The real problem right now is that basically Moderns suck azz and no one cares about mainstream titles as much as they used to, save for preserving their run...

Sad times for moderns, which ARE in jeopardy IMO...

I think the problem is that a lot of people only look at the modern versions of mainstream titles, which are really at a disadvantage because they have to compete against decades of previous issues. Basically, it's really hard to come up with a good, original ASM, Superman, Batman, FF, whatever story. On top of that, all the big name heroes have basically saved the world/universe/space-time continuum several times over, it's hard to top that. Sure, you'll have some good storylines, but it's hard to attract new readers to a character with 40 years of baggage.

IMO, there are a lot of really great new series with great writer/artist talent out there. Some of it will stay around, some of it won't, but I've got a better chance at reading an unique story in a new series than in the mainstream titles anyhow.

We have a B+N equivalent in Canada called Chapters. They have comic spinners in their stores. Sadly, these are the only spinner racks left.

In the grand scheme of things, not enough to argue newsstands are a viable entry point. :(

I didn't browse or frequent bookstores as a 10 year old. I did like 7-11 though.... candy and slurpees were my interest. And, of course, the was always the 'Hey, Kids! Comics!' labelled spinner positioned advantageously by the candy aisle.

This topic comes up every few months since the CGC forum started. Every time there are predictions of crashes around the corner for various demographic reasons and all that happens is the market expands. Do the searches on the boards and you'll see the same old tired arguments.

From my perspective, I have no fear of a crash. Sure there will be ups and downs... but for the market to go kaput?... not in my lifetime. The market for superhero comics will crash only after the market for superheros as a genre crashes... and even then, it would take decades for it to work it's way through.

Re: FF#1... strikes me as one of the safest books you could buy. Could it go underwater in the short term... sure. But in the long term you'll be fine.

This topic comes up every few months since the CGC forum started. Every time there are predictions of crashes around the corner for various demographic reasons and all that happens is the market expands. Do the searches on the boards and you'll see the same old tired arguments.

From my perspective, I have no fear of a crash. Sure there will be ups and downs... but for the market to go kaput?... not in my lifetime. The market for superhero comics will crash only after the market for superheros as a genre crashes... and even then, it would take decades for it to work it's way through.

Re: FF#1... strikes me as one of the safest books you could buy. Could it go underwater in the short term... sure. But in the long term you'll be fine.

(thumbs u

The more movies that are made, the more likely a disconnect will occur between current comics/collecting and the establishment of major keys as evrlasting pop collectibles.

At the rate cover price increases are going, the current /monthly market may be nearing its demise. However, books like AF 15, FF 1, Action 1, Tec 27 are likely to persist as true collectibles/investments long after the monthly pamphlet has gone the way of the dodo.

Shoot, I just shot Diet Coke out my nose - seriously. :roflmao:

I hope you're not being serious, as that would ruin the best funny book joke I've heard in a long time.

It WAS meant to be a joke, thus the :shrug:, but some of the older cats I knew back then were saying just that. They felt GA was too expensive and HTF and the better investments were the current Marvel and DC books and inexpensive back issues(this was in the mid to late 70's) and that the hobby was losing steam. All this before UXMs and ASMs blew up, and of course the nausea of the 90's almost DID destroy it :eek:

I disagreed

I'm not too sure how many different ways I can say this; the internet, CGC, Ebay, and auction houses were not part of the equation 25 years ago, or even 10 years ago. The demographic wasn't a factor either, since they were busy earning the money they now have to buy funny books. You can't extrapolate forward based on history, without taking into account all of the factors that makes THEN different from NOW.

The hobby has aged rapidly, and this rapid acceleration is not sustainable. The numbers aren't there. You can talk about Timelys, FF 1s, AF 15s and Action 1s all you want, but those books don't make up the market. Even the entire GA era makes up a small segment of the hobby, quantitatively speaking. If those books continue doing well, but the rest tank, then the MARKET HAS CRASHED.

Everything is at its peak, RIGHT NOW. These conditions would need to be replicated indefinitely into the future in order for the majority of the high grade/end market to continue to flourish as it has. And that's impossible. People are going to die, collections are going to surface and at some point the market will be flooded.

I have a problem with this argument.

I can't find any flaws in the logic. :cry:

Everytime the subject of why "we" buy comics comes up, those few that say they invest in them, are made to look like "spoon".

I wish all of those who lost so much in the stock market, or lost a small fortune on their mansions, good luck.

It IS my money, to do with as I so desire. If I want to invest it in comic books, why should I be made to feel inferior to those that buy for the love of the story and art?

I could easily turn it around and say that anyone who buys a comic book that has NO POTENTIAL to increase in value, is just throwing their money away. You could probably read the book online or borrow one from a friend, or even find them in local libraries. If you purchase a book like the ASM #853 Obama cover, to read,. Well, you are just an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. If you purchased it to flip immediately, then you ain't. If you purchased it as a future investment, then you took a whale of a chance on a slim chance. But it MAY pan out (not). At least you didn't buy it to "read". If you did. That's just sad.

Much like someone buying a video game that they are tired of in a few days. My children have purchased video games for 50 to 80 bucks, that they didn't care about one week later.

Now, I am not saying these things, but I COULD say these things and give a decent argument why they are correct.

I am saying that for whatever reason any of us buys comic books, we are comic book collectors and have a great hooby in common. We have great and small things to debate and agree upon. We all have wish lists and dreams of finding the next Mile High collection. We all have a language that the multitudes do not have (how many non collectors know what the heck MPFW means, or what Subby means, or even what PLOD means).

I do not put down those that are completists, although I believe that is the absolute worst way to collect comics. There is so much junk in just about any long run. The stories do not even jive, nor even make a lick of sense, even though the characters are the same. One minute the Hulk is green, and then he is grey, then he is wearing a costume, then he is stupid, then he is brilliant, then he is tiny, then he is gigantic, then he is on another planet, then he is (well, you get the idea).

I guess it shows. that it touches a nerve in me when investing in comic books is denegrated so often.

I am tickled pink with my purchases (well, except for those X-whatevers that I guessed wrong about, and so did most of you non-investors :) ). I have "hit" so much more than I have "missed" on, in investing. I do not own a book that I could not sell for what I paid for it. Well, maybe that is a stretch, but I am sure that it applies to over 90% of my books.

Everytime the subject of why "we" buy comics comes up, those few that say they invest in them, are made to look like "spoon".

I wish all of those who lost so much in the stock market, or lost a small fortune on their mansions, good luck.

It IS my money, to do with as I so desire. If I want to invest it in comic books, why should I be made to feel inferior to those that buy for the love of the story and art?

I could easily turn it around and say that anyone who buys a comic book that has NO POTENTIAL to increase in value, is just throwing their money away. You could probably read the book online or borrow one from a friend, or even find them in local libraries. If you purchase a book like the ASM #853 Obama cover, to read,. Well, you are just an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. If you purchased it to flip immediately, then you ain't. If you purchased it as a future investment, then you took a whale of a chance on a slim chance. But it MAY pan out (not). At least you didn't buy it to "read". If you did. That's just sad.

Much like someone buying a video game that they are tired of in a few days. My children have purchased video games for 50 to 80 bucks, that they didn't care about one week later.

Now, I am not saying these things, but I COULD say these things and give a decent argument why they are correct.

I am saying that for whatever reason any of us buys comic books, we are comic book collectors and have a great hooby in common. We have great and small things to debate and agree upon. We all have wish lists and dreams of finding the next Mile High collection. We all have a language that the multitudes do not have (how many non collectors know what the heck MPFW means, or what Subby means, or even what PLOD means).

I do not put down those that are completists, although I believe that is the absolute worst way to collect comics. There is so much junk in just about any long run. The stories do not even jive, nor even make a lick of sense, even though the characters are the same. One minute the Hulk is green, and then he is grey, then he is wearing a costume, then he is stupid, then he is brilliant, then he is tiny, then he is gigantic, then he is on another planet, then he is (well, you get the idea).

I guess it shows. that it touches a nerve in me when investing in comic books is denegrated so often.

I am tickled pink with my purchases (well, except for those X-whatevers that I guessed wrong about, and so did most of you non-investors :) ). I have "hit" so much more than I have "missed" on, in investing. I do not own a book that I could not sell for what I paid for it. Well, maybe that is a stretch, but I am sure that it applies to over 90% of my books.

I can not agree more. 50% of my comics come from the $1 bin lol and I wouldn't sell them unless I really had to, 30% is from ongoing series that I read, and the other 20% is what I spent on collecting. The only time I spend premium is if it's something really want. By the way what does MPFW and Subby mean ????

Ha Ha. Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly. A giveaway at motion picture theaters a long time ago, and is apparently the first appearance of the Sub-Mariner (Subby).

It was issue number 1 and issues 2, 3 and 4 exist as covers only, with no actual book ever produced. MPFW is a holy grail of many collectors, and the "covers only" of 2, 3 and 4 are also sought after. There are only eight known copies of #1.

These are listed in the Overstreet Guide in the promotional comics section. If you ever obtain a #1, you really have something. If memory serves me correctly, the best of them is known as the "Pay Copy" of MPFW. It is a facinating story and book. At least to those who are into Golden Age comics.

There are some arguments about the actual first appearance of Subby, but IMO, it is MPFW #1. Some say it is Marvel Mystery #1, but it is pretty much decided that Marvel Mystery #1 was actually a color reprint of the MPFW #1 black and white interior Subby story.