• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think the ComicConnect Action #1 will sell for?

what will the GRAIL sell for?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. what will the GRAIL sell for?

349 posts in this topic

Now I wish vince and steve the best of luck on the sale but to call comic books hard assets is flat out hilarious lol

Bronty;

What exactly would your definition of hard assets be?

Would it include such thing as real estate in Palm Springs which dropping like a rock and npbody will even touch even though there are entire sub-divisions sitting there with their For Sale signs? lol

Would it include once investment quality paper assets such as shares of Eron, Nortel, Bre-X, or any of the car companies, U.S. banks, and/or brokerage houses on Wall Street? Yes, definite high quality investments for sophisicated high brow investors. :tonofbricks:

What I find truly hilarious is how it's the corporate elite with their high brow investments who are coming cup in hand asking for billions and even trillions of dllars in handouts. I don't see any comic book collectors with their funny books in hand asking the government for big handouts. hm

Hard assets in the true sense are not merely tangible but also have intrinsic value. Pork bellies, real estate, gold. Yes the value of hard assets can go up or down but the point is there is inherent demand for the "real world" use of these objects. Comic books are more like art - zero intrinsic value; the only value they have is the abstract and arbitrary value we attach to owning them.

I don't see any comic book collectors with their funny books in hand asking the government for big handouts. hm

:hi:

I'm flying to DC in a private jet next week to appear before a Congressional panel to ask for money to buy more funny books. I will be talking about the number of honest, hardworking dealers and auction houses that will be out of business if our hobby doesn't get a piece of the TARP.

I don't see any comic book collectors with their funny books in hand asking the government for big handouts. hm

I'm flying to DC in a private jet next week to appear before a Congressional panel to ask for money to buy more funny books. I will be talking about the number of honest, hardworking dealers and auction houses that will be out of business if our hobby doesn't get a piece of the TARP.

I'll go with you Tim. I need the money, and am quite skilled at public speaking. So, let's make it happen

:wishluck:

I'll go with you Tim. I need the money, and am quite skilled at public speaking. So, let's make it happen

:wishluck:

Party on The Hill! :headbang:

Actually, the piece hasn't sold yet. It's in the current Heritage February auction. I'm actually thinking of going after a few of the nicer cels that come with the original background. After all, isn't Pinocchio often considered the zenith of Disney animation?

Hearing what the prices used to be (which are really staggering) is making me think that at current prices these might not be such bad pick-ups.

Ah, it is being offered again. It originally "sold" in the Sumer 2007 Heritage Auction - Pinocchio Set-up.

Holy cow, whoever paid $33K for it in Aug 2007 took a bath of around $24K, as it failed to even crack the $10K barrier this time around.

And no, I was not the buyer.

Actually, the piece hasn't sold yet. It's in the current Heritage February auction. I'm actually thinking of going after a few of the nicer cels that come with the original background. After all, isn't Pinocchio often considered the zenith of Disney animation?

Hearing what the prices used to be (which are really staggering) is making me think that at current prices these might not be such bad pick-ups.

Ah, it is being offered again. It originally "sold" in the Sumer 2007 Heritage Auction - Pinocchio Set-up.

Holy cow, whoever paid $33K for it in Aug 2007 took a bath of around $24K, as it failed to even crack the $10K barrier this time around.

And no, I was not the buyer.

Pinocchio :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Now I wish vince and steve the best of luck on the sale but to call comic books hard assets is flat out hilarious lol

Bronty;

What exactly would your definition of hard assets be?

Would it include such thing as real estate in Palm Springs which dropping like a rock and npbody will even touch even though there are entire sub-divisions sitting there with their For Sale signs? lol

Would it include once investment quality paper assets such as shares of Eron, Nortel, Bre-X, or any of the car companies, U.S. banks, and/or brokerage houses on Wall Street? Yes, definite high quality investments for sophisicated high brow investors. :tonofbricks:

What I find truly hilarious is how it's the corporate elite with their high brow investments who are coming cup in hand asking for billions and even trillions of dllars in handouts. I don't see any comic book collectors with their funny books in hand asking the government for big handouts. hm

Hard assets in the true sense are not merely tangible but also have intrinsic value. Pork bellies, real estate, gold. Yes the value of hard assets can go up or down but the point is there is inherent demand for the "real world" use of these objects. Comic books are more like art - zero intrinsic value; the only value they have is the abstract and arbitrary value we attach to owning them.

This is very true and once the economy starts going all Road Warrior on our nation's behinds, then all they're going to be good for is reading. Gold, bread and ammo is what we need. :insane:

Interesting to re-read this thread now that the auction is over. Here is a quick summary of the guesses

showcase4 guess - I'll go 1st.....chose $651,000+

jiveturkeymofo - I'll stick with my original prediction: mid $300s to low $400s tops

greaterfool - $500,000

dm - $485,000

action1kid - Anyway, my point is with good media coverage,again not just the internet this book could fetch a max out of 750k....no media coverage and just the net....495k

thedude - I chose the $351,000 - $450,000 range. I'm predicting around $425,000.

Crowzilla - was tempted to take the 250-250, but i played it safe and took the 350-450 just in case someone is betting on the regrade

lou_fine - I just can't believe there were some boardies that chose the $150K to $250K range. As for myself, I chose the $451K to $550K range since the it seems like forever since the last truly unrestored Action has come to a public auction (as opposed to a private sale) and the market has significantly taken an uptick since then. The PQ will hurt it a bit though and could keep the prices out of this range.

Bronty - $410k

The_Blank_Hand - 320k

kryptonitecomics - 350,000 to 450,000....no more than that

rob_react - I chose 250-350. I hope to see it make $375-425k, but this is all rarefied territory for comic books, so I'm not sure it'll get up that high.

Theagenes - $475k

tonytiger - $1,000,000

1koko - I think 350 is probably where it will end up but with the right wind it could be 500+

batman_fan - I will throw my opinion out there. At $350k+, yes, I think it is an insane price.

Is it a rare book in this grade? you bet!

Is it a key book in the overall comic and American pop culture? In a HUGE way

Is $350k a lot for a mid grade comic? he!! yea ! Time will tell what the final hammer will be.

Interesting to re-read this thread now that the auction is over. Here is a quick summary of the guesses

jiveturkeymofo - I'll stick with my original prediction: mid $300s to low $400s tops

greaterfool - $500,000

dm - $485,000

action1kid - Anyway, my point is with good media coverage,again not just the internet this book could fetch a max out of 750k....no media coverage and just the net....495k

thedude - I chose the $351,000 - $450,000 range. I'm predicting around $425,000.

Crowzilla - was tempted to take the 250-250, but i played it safe and took the 350-450 just in case someone is betting on the regrade

lou_fine - I just can't believe there were some boardies that chose the $150K to $250K range. As for myself, I chose the $451K to $550K range since the it seems like forever since the last truly unrestored Action has come to a public auction (as opposed to a private sale) and the market has significantly taken an uptick since then. The PQ will hurt it a bit though and could keep the prices out of this range.

Bronty - $410k

The_Blank_Hand - 320k

rob_react - I chose 250-350. I hope to see it make $375-425k, but this is all rarefied territory for comic books, so I'm not sure it'll get up that high.

Theagenes - $475k

tonytiger - $1,000,000

1koko - I think 350 is probably where it will end up but with the right wind it could be 500+

batman_fan - I will throw my opinion out there. At $350k+, yes, I think it is an insane price.

Is $350k a lot for a mid grade comic? he!! yea ! Time will tell what the final hammer will be.

Some of these guesses are a riot! Thanks for the summary.

I should have said a number. then I'd probably be able to do :acclaim:

either in this thread or the other one, I said $317K (thumbs u

You win the no-prize!

yeah, but winning the book would have been a better prize lol

I should have said a number. then I'd probably be able to do :acclaim:

:applause:

I say you get the kudos - - with an asterisk! Cause you were the actual reason it ended at 317. That makes you less of an "observer" and almost into fixer territory on this auction. no?

however, since you may have also accurately predicted it was coming down to you and Steve, (I mean, anonymous bidder #2), then your prediction for the auction as a whole stands validated.

: )

greaterfool - $500,000

dm - $485,000

Bronty - $410k

The_Blank_Hand - 320k

Theagenes - $475k

tonytiger - $1,000,000

Some of these guesses are a riot! Thanks for the summary.

:acclaim:

Bat_fan;

Thanks for the summary! (thumbs u

It looks like virtually everybody except for a couple of board members were too high on this book includng myself.

You should note that I did put in a word of caution earlier a week ago since the book was stuck at $277.3 for such a long time:

277,300.00 n holding March 8...7pm

Any chance that this book might get squeezed out in the middle?

In other words, a little too nice to be affordable for most of the high end collectors, but not quite nice enough to attract the real big investment dollars.

I guess time will tell and we'll all have to wait until next Friday night to find out.

I believe the above scenario did turned out to be a significant factor in the end. The book was simply not nice enough to pull in any real interest from outside the regular comic marketplace.

It was really seen in the news media as nothing more than a novelty storyline and wasn't able to deliver the goods in the end. Although the final price may have been a bit of a disappointment given all of the hype, it's still not a bad price for a Fine copy of the book. (shrug)

Bat_fan;

Thanks for the summary! (thumbs u

It looks like virtually everybody except for a couple of board members were too high on this book includng myself.

You should note that I did put in a word of caution earlier a week ago since the book was stuck at $277.3 for such a long time:

277,300.00 n holding March 8...7pm

Any chance that this book might get squeezed out in the middle?

In other words, a little too nice to be affordable for most of the high end collectors, but not quite nice enough to attract the real big investment dollars.

I guess time will tell and we'll all have to wait until next Friday night to find out.

I believe the above scenario did turned out to be a significant factor in the end. The book was simply not nice enough to pull in any real interest from outside the regular comic marketplace.

It was really seen in the news media as nothing more than a novelty storyline and wasn't able to deliver the goods in the end. Although the final price may have been a bit of a disappointment given all of the hype, it's still not a bad price for a Fine copy of the book. (shrug)

I agree, and the final hammer price is amazing I think. I think the one thing it shows is even with the media hype, the number of buyers at this level is very limted and maybe they have some reasonable judgement.