• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think the ComicConnect Action #1 will sell for?

what will the GRAIL sell for?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. what will the GRAIL sell for?

349 posts in this topic

There's no doubt in my mind that Action 1 along with Detective 27, are in a class all their own. With Action 1 being my favorite over Detective 27. No other book comes close, though I can see why collectors have other favorites. Action 1 is the single most important comic book in history. I do think the one up for auction is a bit over graded, but that's par for the course with a book like that. If a couple of money boys start fighting over the book, it could go for a lot, if not, a few hundred thousand. I just can't get excited over something I can't afford and even if I could, I'd probably by a fine painting or sculpture.

Probably far more than it's realistically worth. Of course Action 1 is known as the Holy Grail of our hobby, but at the same time, I think it is an over-rated book in the grand scheme of things. JMHO.

I do think some of the value thrown around here seem to be out of whack. However, notion of Action #1 being over-rated is a concept that I cannot get my head around. Can you find a 2nd person who thinks action 1 is over-rated. Possibly not.

I would think many more actually feel this way than would care to admit.

and I think you're puffin' some contraband! Its the single most important book in the hobby, period.

I'm not debating that fact (that it's the single most important book in the hobby, not that I puff contraband) (tsk)

What I'm saying is from a monetary standpoint of what the Action 1 is allegedly valued at, I think is far over-rated compared to numerous other titles/keys. I just don't think that it is that much more of a "special" book compared to the Top 20 or so GA keys.

zzz

If this is your attempt at sensationalism, you've failed.

There is Action #1, then Detective #27, the EVERYTHING ELSE! Period. The drop from the #2 most important comic book of all time to the #3 and to infinity is precipitous to say the least. Action #1's importance is nearly impossible to over rate.

Probably far more than it's realistically worth. Of course Action 1 is known as the Holy Grail of our hobby, but at the same time, I think it is an over-rated book in the grand scheme of things. JMHO.

I do think some of the value thrown around here seem to be out of whack. However, notion of Action #1 being over-rated is a concept that I cannot get my head around. Can you find a 2nd person who thinks action 1 is over-rated. Possibly not.

I would think many more actually feel this way than would care to admit.

and I think you're puffin' some contraband! Its the single most important book in the hobby, period.

I'm not debating that fact (that it's the single most important book in the hobby, not that I puff contraband) (tsk)

What I'm saying is from a monetary standpoint of what the Action 1 is allegedly valued at, I think is far over-rated compared to numerous other titles/keys. I just don't think that it is that much more of a "special" book compared to the Top 20 or so GA keys.

zzz

If this is your attempt at sensationalism, you've failed.

There is Action #1, then Detective #27, the EVERYTHING ELSE! Period. The drop from the #2 most important comic book of all time to the #3 and to infinity is precipitous to say the least. Action #1's importance is nearly impossible to over rate.

Sensationalism??? Wow, thanks!!!

Bottom line as an example... The Overstreet #37 lists a NM- Action 1 @ $600,000 and a More Fun 52 in a NM- @ $105,000. There is no way on earth, for me anyway, that there is anywhere near a $495,000 difference in base value between these two books in NM- condition. That's just ridiculous IMO.

Bottom line as an example... The Overstreet #37 lists a NM- Action 1 @ $600,000 and a More Fun 52 in a NM- @ $105,000. There is no way on earth, for me anyway, that there is anywhere near a $495,000 difference in base value between these two books in NM- condition. That's just ridiculous IMO.

Then you should be looking to pick up as many More Fun 52s you can at 1/6 the price of an equal grade Action.

But a 9.2 Action #1 easily sells for 6x what the 9.2 More Fun #52 brings. If anything Overstreet is underestimating the spread in you example.

normally, I would just say you certainly are "dizzy", and move on, but I'm trying to see your point of view, and while More Fun 52 is a great book, ask 50 people walking down the street if they know who the Spectre is or can tell you anything about him, O.K. now ask the same people about Superman, huge difference.

Then you should be looking to pick up as many More Fun 52s you can at 1/6 the price of an equal grade Action.

But a 9.2 Action #1 easily sells for 6x what the 9.2 More Fun #52 brings. If anything Overstreet is underestimating the spread in you example.

I disagree, but please don't get me wrong... I would spin over backwards to be able to own an Action 1, it's just that there are other special keys that I would be just as content with.

I disagree, but please don't get me wrong... I would spin over backwards to be able to own an Action 1, it's just that there are other special keys that I would be just as content with.

You can disagree all you want, but since the pool of people who are ready and able to buy both issues value them at these prices (check out sales results) you would be incorrect.

normally, I would just say you certainly are "dizzy", and move on, but I'm trying to see your point of view, and while More Fun 52 is a great book, ask 50 people walking down the street if they know who the Spectre is or can tell you anything about him, O.K. now ask the same people about Superman, huge difference.

I don't agree with this analogy. Ask those same 50 people if they know who Honus Wagner is and then ask them if they know who Babe Ruth is. Who do you think they're going to say??? But the T206 Honus Wagner card (certainly a more obscure player to non-baseball enthusiast) is certainly the holy grail of baseball cards by a ton over any Babe Ruth card.

Is $350k a lot for a mid grade comic? he!! yea !

I think you're the first person I've ever heard refer to an unrestored Fine Action #1 as being mid-grade. I don't know you at all, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say you have a much broader SA/BA background than GA?

lol

Although the book may be rare in high grade, 6.0 is still a mid grade book regardless of the age.

You are trolling. :headbang:

But while I'm here, the difference between a 9.2 MF 52 and a 9.2 Action #1, in reality, would be more like $1,500,000-$2,000,000. This 6.0 will sell for more than a 9.2 MF52 will sell for in 10 years.

[i

Youre Right............The spread is probably much to tight.........

thats what you meant right?

You are trolling. :headbang:

But while I'm here, the difference between a 9.2 MF 52 and a 9.2 Action #1, in reality, would be more like $1,500,000-$2,000,000. This 6.0 will sell for more than a 9.2 MF52 will sell for in 10 years.

Pardon me boys for expressing a difference in opinion. What the heck am I thinking and how dare I be such a black sheep. I guess I must be :insane:

I will no longer rantrant and will just stick to creating new threads on new pick-ups. :devil:

[i

Sure, why not. :baiting:

A1K;

You are definitely correct in your assessment here! hm

I guess Dizzy must just be a little bit dizzy here. lol

I don't agree with this analogy. Ask those same 50 people if they know who Honus Wagner is and then ask them if they know who Babe Ruth is. Who do you think they're going to say??? But the T206 Honus Wagner card (certainly a more obscure player to non-baseball enthusiast) is certainly the holy grail of baseball cards by a ton over any Babe Ruth card.

I don't know anything about baseball cards, but isn't the Wagner cards price based on rarity alone, (only 10 exist or so I think I heard) and that it was hand cut from a sheet ?

A1K;

You are definitely correct in your assessment here! hm

I guess Dizzy must just be a little bit dizzy here. lol

Not the first time I've been accused of that. :blush::)

I can think of several ways. Anywhere you go you will find people that know Superman, who can complete the line "Look, up in the sky..." so the cultural importance of Action 1 is on sale here as much as anything else. The Spectre is cool to comic geeks like us, but as a character, and More Fun #52 as a comic, is orders of magnitude less important than the first appearance of Superman. That's your difference in price.

People who do not collect or read comics or never have are nonetheless aware of the existance of Superman. The character is on par with if not equal to Mickey Mouse in American culture. In 2000 years people will shrug off the Spectre if they even know of its existence but Superman will be held up as exemplar of American cultural artifacts from the 20th century. That's your difference in price.

Action Comics #1 is possibly the single most important piece of illustrated American culture in existence period, bar none, end of story. There are dozens of Rockwells and Leyendeckers and Wyeths and innumerable magazine covers, advertisements, and illustrations that they created to choose from but there is only one Action Comics #1. There's your difference is price.

Superman is as important to American culture as Sundblom's apple-cheeked red-suited Santa Claus is to the mass consumerization of Christmas. Superman of Action Comics #1 is as important to illustrated text, to comics, as Flagg's I Want You poster was to the Army. That's your difference in price.

More Fun #52, All American #16, Batman #1? Not museum worthy. Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, Captain America #1? Museum worthy.