• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Less is more

14 posts in this topic

I starting thinking about the missing Watchman cover that was redone for the cover auction.

Anyone else have a cover or splash page with very little art. I'm not talking about a corner box,small sketch or a cover that is all stat. I mean a big white sheet of paper with a small dab of art in the middle meant for a full page.

This is the example in my collection.

Superman100cover.jpg

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=427767&GSub=65773&GCat=0&UCat=0

I starting thinking about the missing Watchman cover that was redone for the cover auction.

Anyone else have a cover or splash page with very little art. I'm not talking about a corner box,small sketch or a cover that is all stat. I mean a big white sheet of paper with a small dab of art in the middle meant for a full page.

This is the example in my collection.

Superman100cover.jpg

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=427767&GSub=65773&GCat=0&UCat=0

the 'snowblind' alpha flight cover comes to mind for me. and that miller daredevil (187? I forget).

Often these minimalist covers look great printed... but yeah it would be tough to know how much to pay for something that looks good but doesn't have much to it

hmm.. the minimalist approach certainly works for certain situations.

I have 2 examples, but they are certainly not as minimalist as the examples cites. Both pages use light in different ways.

One uses so much light that all you see is dark shadows:

Alan Moore's Supreme Reveal Page

The other has no light so all you see is a few highlights.

Shado (of Green Arrow) shooting at her master in the dark

Malvin

That's actually a really nice cover.

Thank you sir. I really wasn't expecting that.

I won it with a best offer for 200 or 300 last fall or summer. I didn't really know what it was worth but thought it would be nice to own a #100 issue cover and it was Superman to boot. I'm sure I overpaid in many a collector's eyes but hey I liked it more than anything else I saw in that price range at the time and had money to burn !

There is also the cover to Thunderstrike #12, as seen below:

63652_20060919085837_large.jpg

You have to think that the OA is bigger than the hole and they just covered it up. Be easier to just draw the whole thing than within the framework of a jagged hole like that.

There is also the cover to Thunderstrike #12, as seen below:

63652_20060919085837_large.jpg

You have to think that the OA is bigger than the hole and they just covered it up. Be easier to just draw the whole thing than within the framework of a jagged hole like that.

Actually, what I think is a rough (and light) pencil layout was done, then they put the lines of where the jagged hole would be. Tightened up everything within it those boundries and then erased the rest. Finally, the piece was inked within the framework of the hole.

Of course, until someone reveals the original cover art, we won't know which of us is correct. ;)

OK wtf is with the two finger gloves anyway? lol

It's meant to be "edgy." You know, this was the 90's, dark and edgy was all the rage. I mean, if Lady Death can have a glove that only covers her middle finger, then Thunderstrike can have one that covers two of them. :headbang: