• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to CGC it?!... Help

44 posts in this topic

Hey dudes.

This is my first post on this forum... I've been looking at everybodys stuff but never signed up - I'm hoping to start using this forum regular now but I have a question (It may sound silly but if somebody could please answer it would be much appreciated).

How do i go about getting something CGC'd? And if it's got an original artist sketch on the cover... Do they still case that (I mean how do they know it's genuine?)? I'm sure this sounds silly but i'm kind of new to this CGC stuff... Also, how much does it cost? I'm actually in the UK.

Thanks

Lloyd

Welcome to the boards! :hi:

All right, here we go.....

First, check the Signature Room for questions on Signature Series books. The folks there can answer in greater detail than I could ever hope to do.

Basically, yes, you can get a book with a sketch or a signature graded and encapsulated, BUT (that's a big but) it will get the "Qualified" Label or GLoD (Green Label of Death) unless the signature is done in front of a CGC Witness. There are tons of great Witnesses here and Kevin Boyd heads up the CGC SS. He would be the absolute best person to ask about details.

The Signature Room will have better answers in their Q&A thread.

As far as standard books, just getting them graded without signatures or sketches, you can go to CGC Comics' website and hit the "submissions" button which should walk you through the better part of the process including price tiers, shipping rates and the full range of services offered.

I wish it was all easier =[

So the qualified label and the GLoD aren't good things? lol

It is intimidating at first, but give it a go, you'll like it! lol

Another option I forgot was to submit at a show. I don't know if you make it stateside for any, but that would be another way to handle submitting books.

GLoDs are generally not as desired as the gold Signature Series labels. Personally, I have two GLoDs. One from Jerry Siegel which was done prior to CGC SS being established (I think) and one from Gene Simmons. The Simmons book was sent out as a retailer incentive and came signed.

Like all of collecting, it's what you like. If you're comfortable and know the signature is legit, then the CGC slab is more for appearances than resale. If you're looking to make some quick cash, like that cursed jonjesper (it's all in good fun, Jon :grin: ) then the gold label is the way to go.

Welcome to the board Lloyd. Qualified and Glod aren't good things. It may all seem difficult right now but it does get all easier. A little rain falls, even in paradise. Weeds grow, even in the most beautiful garden. I can make up these dumb sayings all day. :tonofbricks:

What are you into and how long have you collected comics?

I have been into comics since a kid but I only recently discovered CGC. You guys put my stuff to shame!! But... I am a marvel head, I love DC but marvel triumphs to me.

I have 3 CGC comics so far...

Captain America: The Death of Captain America 25 - signed by Joe Simon (9.8)

Iron Man: Viva Las Vegas 1 - signed by Adi Granov with an iron man sketch on it (9.8)

Batman: Dark Knight Returns 4 (Personal copy of Frank Millers and signed - 8.0)

Not as impressive as your stuff on the forum but hey, it's a start! =]

I have 3 CGC comics so far...

Captain America: The Death of Captain America 25 - signed by Joe Simon (9.8)

Iron Man: Viva Las Vegas 1 - signed by Adi Granov with an iron man sketch on it (9.8)

Batman: Dark Knight Returns 4 (Personal copy of Frank Millers and signed - 8.0)

Not as impressive as your stuff on the forum but hey, it's a start! =]

At least you've got good taste....... :grin: