• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General OA Report from NY Comic Con

23 posts in this topic

From my perspective regarding the OA market at NY Comic con this weekend:

Attendence overall was excellent. 3 day Weekend passes and Saturday only 1 day passes were sold out in advance. Walk up ticket purchases were only available for Sunday. Attendence was estimated at 70,000 by the show organizers.

With that said, for OA collectors the first day is the best day to get first crack at any art or get on any commissions list.

My perception is people slashed their spending budgets because of the uncertainty with the economy. Big name artists (i.e., Bolland, Cheung , etc. had lines forming even before the show officially opened to get on their commission list) will still do fine. The next tier, may not get as many commissions this year because people don't have as much money to spend.

Dealers are being more cautious about buying art because they don't want to get stuck holding inventory in this economy. A year ago, they may have been more aggressive with their buying. I did notice that many dealers were selling items from the recent Heritage auction. If you missed out at the auction, you'll be paying a nice mark-up. Last year, the exchange rate was better for Europeans so they bought a lot of art last year. This year they aren't buying nearly as much. Friday was decent for most dealers. Saturday was much slower or minimal. Same with Sunday.

I really didn't come across any new surprise inventory. I still think the best art comes out at SDCC.

Artists without reps had stacks of art with them. One thing I noticed in general, the majority of artists were asking me for my contact info, e-mail address, etc. This would never have happened in the past as most were nonchalant - - "check my website", etc. This year it seems like they want to be able to contact potential customers directly. They want to build up their rolodexes. Let's face it, they spent money out of pocket to attend the show (airfare, hotel, renting a table, etc). They need to recoup that money and hopefully make a profit.

I did make a few minor pick ups which I'll post eventually on CAF.

Lastly - it was great meeting some fellow CGC board members at the show, some for the first time.

Joe L., Joseph M., Lambo, Eric M., Mike F., Chris C., Yoram, Felix, Hari., Kwan, Socrates, Artemis, Irving, Victor, Andie, Norm, Scott W., Alex, Will G., Jonathan H. and all the guys from Jetpack, MonkeyHouse and Bags Unlimited.

Nick Kat. - thanks again for lunch. I owe you one. I had fun talking shop with you, your son and Artemis.

Apologies if I forgot anyone. It's a long show and my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

Cheers!

Nelson

Animated Ink

:banana:

From my perspective regarding the OA market at NY Comic con this weekend:

Attendence overall was excellent. 3 day Weekend passes and Saturday only 1 day passes were sold out in advance. Walk up ticket purchases were only available for Sunday. Attendence was estimated at 70,000 by the show organizers.

With that said, for OA collectors the first day is the best day to get first crack at any art or get on any commissions list.

My perception is people slashed their spending budgets because of the uncertainty with the economy. Big name artists (i.e., Bolland, Cheung , etc. had lines forming even before the show officially opened to get on their commission list) will still do fine. The next tier, may not get as many commissions this year because people don't have as much money to spend.

Dealers are being more cautious about buying art because they don't want to get stuck holding inventory in this economy. A year ago, they may have been more aggressive with their buying. I did notice that many dealers were selling items from the recent Heritage auction. If you missed out at the auction, you'll be paying a nice mark-up. Last year, the exchange rate was better for Europeans so they bought a lot of art last year. This year they aren't buying nearly as much. Friday was decent for most dealers. Saturday was much slower or minimal. Same with Sunday.

I really didn't come across any new surprise inventory. I still think the best art comes out at SDCC.

Artists without reps had stacks of art with them. One thing I noticed in general, the majority of artists were asking me for my contact info, e-mail address, etc. This would never have happened in the past as most were nonchalant - - "check my website", etc. This year it seems like they want to be able to contact potential customers directly. They want to build up their rolodexes. Let's face it, they spent money out of pocket to attend the show (airfare, hotel, renting a table, etc). They need to recoup that money and hopefully make a profit.

I did make a few minor pick ups which I'll post eventually on CAF.

Lastly - it was great meeting some fellow CGC board members at the show, some for the first time.

Joe L., Joseph M., Lambo, Eric M., Mike F., Chris C., Yoram, Felix, Hari., Kwan, Socrates, Artemis, Irving, Victor, Andie, Norm, Scott W., Alex, Will G., Jonathan H. and all the guys from Jetpack, MonkeyHouse and Bags Unlimited.

Nick Kat. - thanks again for lunch. I owe you one. I had fun talking shop with you, your son and Artemis.

Apologies if I forgot anyone. It's a long show and my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

Cheers!

Nelson

Animated Ink

:banana:

Nice meeting you too....exhausting week end...but fun.

Best,

Chris

Nelson -

It is always a pleasure to hang out with you. Hope you are well.

I agree that on Sat. it was so crowded, I thought they were giving away free government cheese and that the show was well attended. A couple of OA dealers told me as well that they did not sell as much as they would have liked, although there were alot of people looking. On the flip side, the book dealers seemed to have some nice sales and one told me that on Friday, they did better than on the same Fri last year.

Chris C and Joseph M -

It was great to meet both of you, sorry I got whisked away, but now that we have met, I am looking forward to meeting up again and talking for longer next time.

Best regards to everyone.

- A

Part of the fun in this hobby for me is coming across a new artist while walking through artist alley. I bought several items from UK artist Andie Tong, an Eagle Award winner. While he is known in Europe, he is still relatively unknown in the U.S. For those familiar with his work, his style is often compared to the late great Mike Wieringo. A super nice guy.

I've already posted a few of the items from NYCC on CAF and will post the remaining items soon.

Cheers!

N

Hiya, Nelson;

It was nice to meet you, too.

I didn't have too much time to spend in Artist's Alley, but did anyone else notice what Al Plastino was charging for his signature?

$10 per comic

$25 per hardcover book

$100 per original art page

:sick:

Hiya, Nelson;

I didn't have too much time to spend in Artist's Alley, but did anyone else notice what Al Plastino was charging for his signature?

$10 per comic

$25 per hardcover book

:o

Hiya, Nelson;

$10 per comic

$25 per hardcover book

The price on the art was because the page that was shown to him was ID'd by plastino as from a story he was never paid for. That was why he asked for $100.

From reports and argument then began between the art owner (trying to negotiate him down in price) and Al.

Before this time AL had been asking $5 for sigs but he must have gotten angry from the argument and the prices went up.

Who argues with an 87 year old man anyway? Even if you think he's nuts you thank him kindly, decline and walk away. Too many fans see creators as ATM machines or think that creators are there to cater to their every whim. Al Plastino was an innovator in comics. If I thought his asking price was crazy I would shake his hand, thank him for all he did and walk on.

C

Who argues with an 87 year old man anyway? Even if you think he's nuts you thank him kindly, decline and walk away. Too many fans see creators as ATM machines or think that creators are there to cater to their every whim. Al Plastino was an innovator in comics. If I thought his asking price was crazy I would shake his hand, thank him for all he did and walk on.

C

That's because you have class and an appreciation for those who work in this industry, Chris. Sadly, that's not a trait that's common to all those who go to shows. Or even worse, not a common trait to all (supposed) fans. :(

Too many fans see creators as ATM machines or think that creators are there to cater to their every whim.

C

I dunno...I think the tide has turned on this line of thinking and I would say the opposite is becoming true, whereby creators see fans as ATM machines.

Bestest,

-Yoram

I did see Al Plastino's prices. I do agree with Chris on the approach if you think his prices for a signature are too high just shake his hand, thank him and walk away.

I have a soft spot for the living legends. They paved the way and are not making the royalties that creative teams do today. This is often the only way for them to supplement their income. Most will autograph for free if it's personalized.

Cheers!

N

I didn't have a chance to stop by Neal Adams' booth this year but in the past he would sign 2 autographs for free. Each additional item was $2. This cut down on the number of people with shopping carts of comics asking for his autograph. He also asked them to stand aside while he signed free autogrpahs first. When the lines were gone then he signed and charged the $2 per item for the "flippers".

Most were happy to pay $2 since his autograph on a comic was worth $20.

Did Neal increase his rate?

Cheers!

N

I didn't have a chance to stop by Neal Adams' booth this year but in the past he would sign 2 autographs for free. Each additional item was $2. This cut down on the number of people with shopping carts of comics asking for his autograph. He also asked them to stand aside while he signed free autogrpahs first. When the lines were gone then he signed and charged the $2 per item for the "flippers".

Most were happy to pay $2 since his autograph on a comic was worth $20.

Did Neal increase his rate?

Cheers!

N

Hiya, Nelson;

Yes, Neal changed his autograph policy. No freebie signatures, and its now $5 per autograph. Hence, my prior comment about creators believing that their fans are ATM's.

Hello Everyone,

I actually helped out and worked with a bunch of artists at conventions over the last couple of years, and I think it is perfectly fine to charge for signatures after having signed maybe 5 or so for free.

You should see how many people hand the artists hundreds of little cards to sign or dozens of covers to sign. It is great for artists to see the interest, and I have never heard from any artist that they don't like or mind doing this, but I always thought it is disrespectful.

Just my 2 cents....

I for example paid Gene Colan 3 bucks per signature at the last NY Comic Con. and I did not mind at all.

I actually have no problem with paying for an artist signature. I have known way too many people that are just looking to get the signature so they can re-sell an item for more money. As an artist, why should you spend your time signing your name for the profit of others. The problem the artist have is they can't tell the differene between the true fans and the people trying to make a buck which means we all end up paying.

The easiest way for a creator concerned about flippers to differentiate is personalization.

Personalized autographs should be free as there's little chance a person will be reselling it. For example, Jim Steranko used to personalize all autographs for free, and now he'll sign items without the personalization for a signing fee. I think that's a very fair compromise.

The easiest way for a creator concerned about flippers to differentiate is personalization.

Personalized autographs should be free as there's little chance a person will be reselling it. For example, Jim Steranko used to personalize all autographs for free, and now he'll sign items without the personalization for a signing fee. I think that's a very fair compromise.

Well, Kevin, one thing I don't like about personalized signatures is that I didn't have anything to do with the production of the comic and therefore do not feel my name should be on the book. I'm sure others have their opinions, pro and con.

Does CGC Signature Series downgrade a personalized signature by a creator or do they make special comments about the "to Joe Doe" from "Superstar artist" signature?

I did notice at NYCC this year, "advance tickets" were sold by the show organizers for Jim Lee and a few of the more popular writers to "guarantee" they would get an autograph during a set time and day in the special Autograph Booths they had set up in the back.

I can't recall how much they charged on the website but Jim Lee's advance tickets were sold out.

Now to be fair, I did see Jim signing free autographs later on at his Artist Alley table along with the WildStorm crew including fellow board member Scott Williams. I'm not much of an autograph hound but while showing Scott some art, Scott was happily signing stacks of comics for fans. I'm surprised his inking hand didn't cramp up.

Cheers!

N

Well, Kevin, one thing I don't like about personalized signatures is that I didn't have anything to do with the production of the comic and therefore do not feel my name should be on the book. I'm sure others have their opinions, pro and con.

Does CGC Signature Series downgrade a personalized signature by a creator or do they make special comments about the "to Joe Doe" from "Superstar artist" signature?

Well Yoram, the ideal thing would be no charge, personalize when requested, but this isn't an ideal world and artists are concerned about flipping - hence this discussion of options. All I'm doing is suggesting that if you want it for free, personalization is always an option as proof it isn't going to be flipped.

CGC Signature Series does not downgrade for additional writing. It would be listed as signed "To Yoram" by Kevin Boyd on 2/17/2009