• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Supplies

10 posts in this topic

hm

Someone found another supplier not long ago. They stocked double sized sheets used for archival purposes. Cut in half they worked fine.

Problem is I can't find that thread... Anyone else remember it?

Don't overpay for MC paper by purchasing it through a library or archives supplier. I made the mistake of paying $28 for 500 sheets of 8.5x11 MC paper from such a supplier, but soon after realized you can just buy the same type of buffered paper from a place like Office Depot for far less money, and without having to pay to have it shipped to you. Many paper suppliers produce acid-free multipurpose paper that has the appropriate alkaline buffer (pH 8-8.5) to adequately prevent/minimize acid migration. Check the specs on the paper first before purchasing.

Don't overpay for MC paper by purchasing it through a library or archives supplier. I made the mistake of paying $28 for 500 sheets of 8.5x11 MC paper from such a supplier, but soon after realized you can just buy the same type of buffered paper from a place like Office Depot for far less money, and without having to pay to have it shipped to you. Many paper suppliers produce acid-free multipurpose paper that has the appropriate alkaline buffer (pH 8-8.5) to adequately prevent/minimize acid migration. Check the specs on the paper first before purchasing.

Do you remeber which paper you bought?

I had gone to Staples about a month ago and they do not stock any. I guess I should try Office Depot? Do you have a product name or picture?

Okay, this is exactly what I purchased: living in Canada, I ordered a 500 pack of interleaving archival paper from a Canadian archives' supplier named Carr McLean. This was about a year ago. The product they sent was Domtar's line of EarthChoice multipurpose paper that is "manufactured under alkaline (acid-free) conditions," specified as:

"A 24 lb. acid-free (pH 8–8.5) buffered bond paper for use between documents, photographs and prints to prevent acid migration from one to the other."

I paid about $28 for 500 sheets but realized I could get the same product for a third of the price by going to a regular office supplies store like Staples. The Domtar website indicates that EarthChoice paper is sold online through Office Depot and Staples.

This paper is more common and less expensive, but it's not actually created with "MicroChamber ® technology." Sorry for any confusion as I said MC paper in my previous post - my bad.

I actually spoke to a paper conservator - really, I did - about whether there's much difference in using MicroChamber paper as compared to alkaline buffered paper when protecting the interior of a comic book. The conservator said that the cheap pulp paper used in older comics is highly acidic and the book will eventually become brittle if not cared for. That, you all know. As long as the alkaline buffered paper has a pH level higher than 8, it will be as effective as MicroChamber paper in preventing acid migration and slowing the process of paper deterioration. The MC and buffered paper does however go inert, which is relative to the acidic level of the pages.

But... I am neither a conservator nor a chemist. I do however feel at ease using buffered paper for my comics, which I then place on an acid-free board, then into a Mylar (sometimes double-Mylared), and then inserted into an thick box. That's a whole lotta TLC and protection.