• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil 158 or 168, who wins?

30 posts in this topic

Inspired by Kermit's, Spidey 238-300 thread, I thought I'd start a post about another two books relevant to the Modern Age...DD 158 and 168. I read somewhere that 168 sells more because that's the first app. of Electra plus Miller takes over the writing chores as well. On the other hand 158 has always been acknowledged as the first Frank Miller on Daredevil.

So, which is worth more in the long run? popcorn.gif

In my opinion, 168 is the ground-breaker. Early Miller art is nice, but not ground-breaking. With 168, when Miller took over the scripting as well as art and created Elektra, etc. he really started rockin our world.

I'd think of 158 as the counterpart to that DC Special Series first Miller Batman art job. A curiosity, but not in the same league at all as Dark Knight Returns #1.

Easily #168. I've been saying that for years, even when #158 was listed higher in all the Guides and was commanding more $ from dealers (no less an authority than BronzeBruce can back me up on this wink.gif). Next to #181 and #227, #168 has the best Miller DD story, it was the first Elektra and first Miller both scripting & drawing, and it has a tough black cover and the print run had an unusual amount of production defects. Yes, it's an easy book to find and was hoarded, but there's also much more demand for this issue than #158 and I expect this gap to widen, if anything, going forward (maybe not in the Guide, but in the marketplace certainly).

Gene

168 would win because of the first Electra appearance, but for story and cover, 158 is a better book. The story in 168 is weak. Miller was just starting to get his writing chops warmed up.

...but for story and cover, 158 is a better book. The story in 168 is weak. Miller was just starting to get his writing chops warmed up.

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

#158 has a better story??? A bunch of goofy Ani-Men kidnap Matt Murdock and then he fights Deathstalker? IMO, story-wise, #158 is no better than most of the other '70s DD issues. #168 is an absolutely outstanding stand-alone issue featuring some of the most memorable moments in DD's history: The awesome Elektra origin flashback, Turk and Grotto really coming into their own as supporting characters/villains, the unforgettable finale - "Hit 'em low, Olive Oil!" IMO, only #181 and #227 surpass #168 in terms of quality and you can probably find a few people who consider #168 to be Miller's finest DD moment (I think Rob_React is one of them).

Gene

168 definitely all due to Elektra and the kick arse cover; color, action - it all looks great.

with 158, other than the cool 40 cent logo confused-smiley-013.gif, the villain is not memorable and I can't even tell you what goes on in that issue and I must have read the Miller run a couple times just to know what I was flipping back in Winter of 2002?

The Winner: DD 168 acclaim.gif

I'll stand by DD 168 being a lame story.

Boy meets girl.

Boy loses girl.

Boy is depressed.

Woo hoo.

Miller's ending is sappy and sentimental, designed to artifically tug at your heartstrings.

Compare how you feel on reading Electra's death scene in 181 to reading 168. By 181, Miller was master of his domain. 168 is a sophmoric effort at best. The fact that it may be better than most other comic book stories of the time says little for comic book stories of the time.

I'll stand by DD 168 being a lame story.

Boy meets girl.

Boy loses girl.

Boy is depressed.

Woo hoo.

Miller's ending is sappy and sentimental, designed to artifically tug at your heartstrings.

Compare how you feel on reading Electra's death scene in 181 to reading 168. By 181, Miller was master of his domain. 168 is a sophmoric effort at best. The fact that it may be better than most other comic book stories of the time says little for comic book stories of the time.

Where's Rob_React when you really need him? confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Gene