• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketch List Ebay Flipper Follies....

35 posts in this topic

Replace Rolland with Bolland and Dread with Dredd and you got something here

Brian Rolland's Judge Dread

Why are some of the people who say they are big fans the same folks that don't know his name or the name of the characters.

God Bless America.

C

ADDENDUM: Based on his response that this is a medical related issue that caused the sale, and because it is not possible to judge this person through email, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

The only reason I am doing that is the fact that he is not seeking to double or triple up as the flipper from the Toronto show wound up doing with the sketch he grabbed and turned in a week. He's not making a lot on this sketch so it would seem to support what he is saying. At least it does so enough for me to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I just sent him as email through eBay about this. Here's what i said:

"You do realize what a complete tool you were, to get the artist to do this sketch for you, and then, not only sell it two days after the show you got it at, while taking the chance away from a TRUE fan, but couldn't even get the character or artist's name correct, right? Just wanted to be sure you did."

I'll let you know what the reply is, if any. ;)

Wow, that was quick. Here's his defense for what he's doing:

"Hi and thanks as usual i made a mistake posting late.I'am a true fan i unfortunately i over spent at the show only to come home to a hefty medical insurace bill.being a cancer survivor and needing it i had to make some sacrfices.im sorry this was one of them.hopefully i might be able to replace it some day.hope that makes u feel better.not a tool." - fettbob1

I don't really know what to say here. I mean, even if the story is true (and we really have no way of knowing), is "I overspent" really an excuse? If you don't have the funds, then why are you buying stuff, especially if you have had medical expenses like he claims here? So, he's either a tool/liar or a fool who is easily parted from his money. I'm not sure which I'd like to be known as.

I think about this subject a lot...and have yet to come to a strong conclusion. :(

Don't some booths/events hold raffles for people on the line? So if 25 people show up at Leinil Yu's line, 25 tickets are given out and 3 or 4 are picked at random. Then, these 3 or 4 people get sketches. :shrug:

-Issa

I just spoke on this at another forum. Here's a copy of that response, which would seem to be very much in keeping with this topic:

"Sorry, there is no defense for this kind of thing. Period!

Sketches are not just some random piece of art. It is a connection

between the artist and the fan/audience. It is a sacred kind of

thing, that money-grubbing eBay mercenaries have sullied and ruined.

If your reason for getting a sketch, is purely for the monetary

standpoint, you don't deserve the privilege to get a sketch from an

artist. These types have ruined something that was once wholesome and

special and made it just another way to try and make a buck. It is

sickening! These flippers show nothing but disrepectful contempt for

the artists, the fans who miss out by their presence on sketch lists,

and on all true fans of an artist's work, whether they intend such or

not.

You want to sell art? Fine. There's plenty of pages, covers, and pin

ups you can buy and sell like stocks and bonds. But a sketch is

something more than that. The fact you must meet face to face with

the artist to obtain it; the fact you must attempt to make a type of

bond with them, it gives the art a much greater significance, than

just as another piece to be bought and sold.

And as for the whole "not everyone can get to shows" line of defense,

that doesn't wash, either. Yeah, not everyone can make the shows, but

flippers, who ruin a good thing for everyone aren't the answer. The

answer is in that fan being smart enough to save their pennies to

make a show, or maybe talking with other local comic fans and

retailers in their area and trying to put together a show closer to

them, or even going online (as many creators can be found there) and

lining up works with the artist they admire that way. You see? There

are other ways for those fans to get their own stuff, without relying

on mercenaries, who ruin the experience for others and the creators

themselves. Those who believe otherwise, are letting their own lust

and greed blind them to what they KNOW is wrong. And, in my book,

that's almost as bad as what these eBay mercs do.

It is, in part, because there are those who defend actions like this,

or worse, support it monetarily and help make these actions

profitable, that the sense of community and kinship is slowly being

lost in this hobby and industry, as another part of what should bring

people together is run down, by the desire for a fast buck and no

consideration for anyone but your own greedy . I've heard stories

from fans and pros alike, about the "good old days" of conventions

and fan/creator interaction. Of how sketches were given freely,

because the artists felt appreciated, not merely seen and treated as

the means to an end. But when supposed fans justify actions that they

know are unjustified, whether to satisfy their own petty lusts or to

allow them to sleep at night, because they know they are helping to

keep the problem going and growing, well, there just really are no

words, is there?

And that, above all else, to me, is what makes this such a sad world.

It's not so much the money-grubbers who make it so, despite the fact

they are wrong, but the blind eye so many true fans are willing to

turn to their actions and the weak defenses they give them, simply

for their own selfishness. You know, in all my years, if I've come to

learn anything, it is that it isn't really the "bad apples" who spoil

everything, but the apples who let them get away with it, or allow

them a free pass because of the benefits they see for themselves in

doing so. For evil and injustice to truly win, all that needs to

happen is for good men (and women) to stand by and do nothing. With

weak defenses like "not everyone gets to shows" always trotted out

for the sketch flippers, I think it is safe to say there's plenty of

that already happening here.

Sorry about the long response, but as one who reps for an artist, not

to mention who is a true fan of, not only many artists but of this

artform as a whole, there are just some things that I feel just need

to be spoken up about. This is one good man, who will not stand by

and do nothing."

Man, Brian Rolland is a pretty good artist. I bet he has a future in this business.

I haven't gotten up my sketches from NYCC yet, but Brian did a great one for me. One of the things that's always obnoxious about these shows is the volume of people there to obtain 100's of signed comics and as many sketches as possible to sell online, which sucks up the time and attention of the artist.

That said, I do understand the perspective of the fan living abroad who looks at this as an opportunity to get a sketch from a favorite artist via ebay. We should be supportive of these true fans as well as all of those true fans that attend the show. But there are other ways to make that happen.

Thanks should go out to Chris who does a great job of keeping the vultures away from Brian as much as possible.

James,

Maybe if you did what this kid did, you'd still be in business.

I can't believe you're such a tool for going after someone only to find out that he is a cancer survivor.

My Wife is a breast cancer survivor. Would you go after her if she resold a sketch on Ebay after just buying it?

You're a schmuck.

Hugs,

Mitch I.

James,

I can't believe you're such a tool for going after someone only to find out that he is a cancer survivor.

My Wife is a breast cancer survivor. Would you go after her if she resold a sketch on Ebay after just buying it?

You're a schmuck.

Hugs,

Mitch I.

The seller's response was one reason I altered my stance on this guy.

If he is telling the truth, he is dealing with something far more important than a con sketch and it's improper to the nth degree to discuss it.

If he's lying about it he has far bigger problems with his character than flipping a con sketch.

Either way, until his personal situation became an issue it was supposed to be a funny thread about a ebay flipper who could not spell the artist or character right. I don't see any reason to keep going after him now.

C

But ultimately, it's his to do what he wants with.

If he has to pay bills with it, or need to fuel his drug habit, he paid for it and can do anything he wants.

Mitch I.

Bingo, completely agree. Who are we to tell another person what they can and cannot do with their (comic related) personal property? Even if the seller is lying about his reasons for selling, who cares?

If he has to pay bills with it, or need to fuel his drug habit, he paid for it and can do anything he wants.

Mitch I.

Bingo, completely agree. Who are we to tell another person what they can and cannot do with their (comic related) personal property? Even if the seller is lying about his reasons for selling, who cares?

Totally agree that it's his property. He can sell it, burn it, wipe his heinie with it.

But in that spirit, people are free to have an opinion about the practice and actions taken to get the sketch in the first place. Good for the goose and all that.

When someone proclaims what a big fan they are of the artist and this character (as this guy did at the table in NYC) and then sell it 2 days later while simultaneously spelling the name of the artist AND character wrong in the title of his auction...well...you are free to question how much truth got told and when. Or you are free just to giggle a little at the irony.

The 10 folks who were on that sketch list and didn't get a sketch on Saturday while this seller did might have an opinion about how the piece was obtained and for what ultimate goal. And they have as much right to that opinion as the seller has a right to turn it into origami.

C

James,

You're a schmuck.

Hugs,

Mitch I.

If doing such unethical things is what it takes to succeed in this business, then I'd rather be a proud failure. At least I can hold my head up and sleep soundly knowing I'm a better person than that. That I don't just use creator goodwill to futher my own ends.

As for this flipper's story, well, it's just that. A story. Is it true? I don't know. I doubt we ever will. Lord knows people have lied about things even worse than this. But if it is or isn't, doesn't change the fact that what he's doing is one of the very things that undermines the sense of community and fellowship that supposedly exists between fans and creators. It doesn't change the fact that doing as he does takes oppertunites away from other fans, who have more class and respect to NOT do such things. It doesn't change my feelings on this one bit, anymore than your insults to me here.

And as far as your insults go, how do you know I'M not a cancer survivor? Now you are insulting one. Guess who's the tool and schmuck now, Mitch? No, to be honest, I'm not, but you didn't know that. And I could have made up a story about it, that you would never know isn't true. Would that suddenly make me a saint who is above criticism for the actions they take, if I said I was one (be it truth or a lie)? I don't think it would.

I'm sorry about your wife. Of course, I never said cancer survivors are tools, just this guys for the actions he's taking right now. But if she did what this guy did, I'd feel the exact same way about it that I do now. Both my sets of grandparents all died from various forms of cancer. That makes it a good possibility that I'll get some form of it, too, if I live long enough. But even if I did, I still wouldn't do as this flipper has done. Just because a person has suffered something like this, doesn't mean that it gives them a free pass on being called out on something that isn't right or fair. And if this guy IS happening to be lying, well, that just put his wrong on a whole other level, doesn't it?

Maybe that's something for you to think about, the next time you want to proclaim someone a schmuck, huh? (tsk)

Whether right or wrong, it's done and that's that. Everyone can person_without_enough_empathy about it, but it doesn't solve the problem.

You're right, what's done is done. We change what this guy has done (is doing?), but by talking about it, maybe we can stop it from happening next time.

You're also right, that person_without_enough_empathying alone isn't going to solve the problem. Which is why, of course, in my huge reply I gave some ideas on what could be done. I'm sure there's even more that I didn't even think to say. Of course, they all have one common element (besides the fact that none of them are 100% surefire to get you all you want): It requires you to be proactiving in creating positive realtionships. Be it with the artists themselves, your local comic community, or other fans online, you need to work together with other people and come together and take action to put a stop to this kind of thing.

Funny how everything always seems to go back to that sense of community and fellowship I keep mentioning, isn't it? Wonder if there's a reason for that? hm

Mitch I.

It is that kind of attitude that ruins so many good things in this life. Unless you see it directly affect you, you don't care. It reminds me of a story my father once told me (a fable, if you will):

This guy who moves into a new house in a new town. He keeps to himself and doesn't even try to show any interest in his neighborhood and community. The guy across the street gets his house robbed one night. "Oh, that's a shame, but it isn't my problem.", he says. Next week the guy who lives on the corner finds out his kid is selling drugs at school. "Oh, that's just wrong, but it isn't my problem.", he proclaims. The next week the guy next door's wife gets raped. "Oh, that shouldn't happen, but it isn't my problem", he states. Until it is his wife that was raped, his house that was robbed and his kid selling drugs. Then he screams, "Why isn't anyone doing anything about this stuff?!"

The point of that? That when you ignore problems in society, simply because you don't have them affecting you right that moment, doesn't mean it's not your problem. Because, sooner or later, it will affect you.

So, "who cares?" I do, for one. I'm so tired of seeing this hobby and industry become this sick and disgusting shadow of what it once was. Of what it could be again, if people just gave a damn to help make it better. I do what I can, but I'm only one man. This flipper and his actions are the very kind that has caused some artists to charge outrageous amounts for a mere sketch at shows, or have caused them to just stopped doing sketches altogether. Not because they are greedy or heartless pigs, but simply because they want to protect themselves from being abused and taken advantage of. And who can blame them? Between the flippers who take advantage of them and other supposed true fans who turn a blind eye to it, it is a wonder they even bother to go to shows in the first place. It really says something about the kind of people we have become, that such things are ignored, even when we know they are wrong.

It truly is mystifying to me, that so many normally "good" people allow such pratcies to go on, in an industry and hobby, that is getting smaller all the time. Considering such things, you'd think that the community would want to to stick closer together and do all they can to make things better, not just for those already here, but for the hope that others might want to join in and help keep this little hobby of our going for the future generations. You'd think that's how it would be, but it couldn't be further from the truth. Some days it almost makes me ashamed to be a part of things, even though I'm doing all I can to make it better. I guess maybe being a "fan" doesn't mean what it used to. I always thought being one meant you should care MORE than anyone else, not less. Live and learn, huh? :(