• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signing Limits

35 posts in this topic

Before we derail completely in any direction, I want to thank everyone for their input.

As stated before, I've been collecting nearly 30 years and made very, very few real conventions in that time. Even when I did, I never paid attention to the talent as I didn't want anybody scribbling on my books.

lol

There is a lot more to this business than I realized. I really want to emphasize business because that's what it is for everyone. From the talent to the promoters and organizers to the publishers to the Witnesses, this is all a huge business within a business that has seriously increased my enjoyment of the hobby over the last year or two.

So again, thanks for the input and thanks for "stalking" these creators for me! lol

It's funny how some creators think that if you flip a book on ebay it makes a whack of cash. Truthfully, you may make $3-5 more unless it's really hot. I kind of feel that we shouldn't have to pay for sigs since we are already funding their careers by buying multiple copies which only drives up their salaries in the long run.

It's funny how some creators think that if you flip a book on ebay it makes a whack of cash. Truthfully, you may make $3-5 more unless it's really hot. I kind of feel that we shouldn't have to pay for sigs since we are already funding their careers by buying multiple copies which only drives up their salaries in the long run.

That's an interesting perspective. It is certainly true in some respects but there are some exceptions to these statements however.

#1) Depends on who is signing. If it's someone who's not a regular on the con circuit, or the book is SS slabbed it adds A LOT more than $3-5 to it's value. Alan Moore and Mike Zeck come to mind.

#2)Unless the people getting books signed are ordering extra copies before the pre-order deadline passes they are simply pulling books out of the regular print run. Since comic shops no longer do returns to the publisher, there is no net effect on the overall sales figures. The print run is not expanded, and thus it's not doing much of anything for their careers.

#3)In the case of some artists, people bring them copies of the same 10-20 year old books to sign over and over again. That REALLY does nothing to expand their stature with their publisher, expand their income, or improve the print runs of their books.

But I do agree that sigs for most creators books don't make for giant upward swings in prices of books sold.

C

There should be limits. It helps move things along plus it helps the market from getting flooded with signatures.

I'm going to flood the krap out of the market with Russ Heath sigs.

Flooding the market with signatures is only bad for those that want to make a buck on signed books. Nothing wrong with that mind you, just not for me. I prefer to have a creator sign as much as he can of his work before he/she passes, Leaves us collectors with easily obtainable pieces of work from creators they love.

For instance, I'd love to get my hands on a set of signed books from the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov. But pretty sure little to none exist...that I can afford.

I prefer to have a creator sign as much as he can of his work before he/she passes, Leaves us collectors with easily obtainable pieces of work from creators they love.

I sounds a bit ghoulish, but I feel the exact same way. And it doesn't just apply to the older artists, look at Seth Fisher. I had just decided that I loved his artwork when he died suddenly at a very young age. I would love a signature or sketch from him, but it's just not likely.

I know I'm not going to get to sit down and chat with these guys for an hour or so, I know that in most cases that I can't afford a page of their original art. That being said, these signatures allow me a tangiable connection to the creators whose work I've come enjoy and even love. Occassionally, you get lucky and get a pen pal out of a creator, but it's the rare exception.

I prefer to have a creator sign as much as he can of his work before he/she passes, Leaves us collectors with easily obtainable pieces of work from creators they love.

I sounds a bit ghoulish, but I feel the exact same way. And it doesn't just apply to the older artists, look at Seth Fisher. I had just decided that I loved his artwork when he died suddenly at a very young age. I would love a signature or sketch from him, but it's just not likely.

I know I'm not going to get to sit down and chat with these guys for an hour or so, I know that in most cases that I can't afford a page of their original art. That being said, these signatures allow me a tangiable connection to the creators whose work I've come enjoy and even love. Occassionally, you get lucky and get a pen pal out of a creator, but it's the rare exception.

It's not ghoulish, it's an homage to a creator. He might be gone, but his work lives on.

It's not ghoulish. I was putting together subs for Marshall Rogers and for Dave Stevens beofre both of their untimely passings. Now I feel like I need to get all of these great creators before something bad happens to any of them. As I have said before, a comic is just a comic. But when it has been signed and maybe even sketched by its creators it becomes something transcendent. :cloud9:

I understand where both of you are coming from, but at the same time I do still think it's a bit ghoulish. Maybe it's just a personal thing. (shrug)

At the same time, I really, really didn't want to miss out on Joe Simon, Carmine Infantino, Stan Lee, Joe Kubert and a few others. Again, it's unlikely that I'll be able to get much in the way of OA from any of them, so this is the next best thing.

Maybe I just think it's a bit ghoulish because of how it's put. "Don't want to miss out before they die" (paraphrasing) just seems a bit harsh, even with my background. I don't want to be insulting to anyone or put anyone down for wanting them, heck I'm chasing them too!

(thumbs u

I understand where both of you are coming from, but at the same time I do still think it's a bit ghoulish. Maybe it's just a personal thing. (shrug)

At the same time, I really, really didn't want to miss out on Joe Simon, Carmine Infantino, Stan Lee, Joe Kubert and a few others. Again, it's unlikely that I'll be able to get much in the way of OA from any of them, so this is the next best thing.

Maybe I just think it's a bit ghoulish because of how it's put. "Don't want to miss out before they die" (paraphrasing) just seems a bit harsh, even with my background. I don't want to be insulting to anyone or put anyone down for wanting them, heck I'm chasing them too!

(thumbs u

Ok, let's rephrase it. I want to get their signatures before I die. Since most people will be applauding when that happens, it's not so ghoulish.

As far limits are concerned, I think when there's a long line and time is short, the gracious thing to do is NOT wheel up a hand cart with a long box on it and start unloading books. Doing things like that are rude and selfish.

On the other hand, if the creator isn't too busy and he/she doesn't mind signing dozens of books, then nothing wrong with it, I guess.