• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling a Sketch

23 posts in this topic

I will say this however: I don't have the ability to always get access to the artists at conventions and being able to buy sketches from people online (i.e. here) enables me to purchase stuff I might otherwise have had to continue keeping on my wishlist. Maybe in this sense I am not helping the problem any, but I know I do appreciate being able to get these items which do produce that effect of connecting with the artist regardless of my being able to meet them. While the blatant flipping discussed is something I don't stand behind, I do appreciate people opening their collections to allow others to enjoy the art. 2c:foryou:

Yes, the "I can't get to the shows" reason has been one I've heard many times to defend the practice flippers engage in. And it would be viable, if there weren't so many other options open to folks like you, that would still give you the oppertunities, yet also protect the artists from having their good will abused.

What other options you might ask? Allow me to show you:

1) Buying directly from the artists online: Many artists have an online presence today. You can contact many of them through their reps or even directly. If you can't make the shows, inquire to them about obtaining a sketch from them this way. I know some artists, who've been watching these discussions unfold, have been giving more thought to having con style sketches available to the public online, to help those who are fans, but cannot get out to the shows.

2) Cultivate online friendships with other fans: This is one I've done myself. While I have been able to make some shows, I can't make them all. And some artists would seem to have no intentions of being at a show near me I can make. Through the making of relationships with comic art loving friends online, I've been able to get sketches from artists I might not have otherwise had the chance to. I usually accomplish this, with a fair trade deal (i.e. they get me a skecth at their con, and I'll get them one at mine). If that weren't possible, I'm sure that another process could be worked out. And who knows, if you create a bond that is strong enough, they might be willing to get you the sketch without expecting anything in return. You might be amazed at what people can do for someone they feel is a friend.

3) Get your local comic community to host a show: This one is a bit more difficult, but still possible. If you can't makes shows far away from you, talk to the fans and retailers of your more local region about trying to put together a show closer to you, which you could make. Granted, it probably wouldn't be easy and would take time, but it would give you an oppertunity to get the artists you admire and would like a sketch from to come to you. After all, SDCC was started by fans and retailers in this same way long ago. If it worked then, it can work now.

Of course, none of these are a surefire 100% way to get all you want, but it shows there are other options to fans who can't make shows, than to support the practice that flippers do and cost many others (and even themselves) more in the long run, for a short-term gain now. After all, if artists knew that their sketches of goodwill were not going to be fodder for flipper profiteering, you might be surprised at how many would do them for free once again, who currently are charging for them. Or ones who would start to do them again, who are currently no longer doing so.

Do I think flipping of con sketches will ever be 100% stopped? No, I highly doubt that could be done. But neither do we have to support the practice, or just shrug our shoulders and let it run unchecked, either. These ideas listed above are just a few of the ways we could seriously undermine the abuse artists (and fans) suffer at the hands of sketch flippers, while also helping fans who can't make the shows and creating an even greater sense of community, both for the fans and artists. All it takes is for folks to care about something, or someone, other than just themselves.

Making friends online and helping each other sketches is definitely a good way to get sketches.

However, don't "trade" sketches, just compensate each other for the dollars paid. I know of a "fair trade" where one person got a freebie sketch and the other paid for the sketch. What a fair trade! And you can totally tell when you look at the 2 pieces too, talk about scummy behaviour.

I will say this however: I don't have the ability to always get access to the artists at conventions and being able to buy sketches from people online (i.e. here) enables me to purchase stuff I might otherwise have had to continue keeping on my wishlist. Maybe in this sense I am not helping the problem any, but I know I do appreciate being able to get these items which do produce that effect of connecting with the artist regardless of my being able to meet them. While the blatant flipping discussed is something I don't stand behind, I do appreciate people opening their collections to allow others to enjoy the art. 2c:foryou:

Yes, the "I can't get to the shows" reason has been one I've heard many times to defend the practice flippers engage in. And it would be viable, if there weren't so many other options open to folks like you, that would still give you the oppertunities, yet also protect the artists from having their good will abused.

What other options you might ask? Allow me to show you:

1) Buying directly from the artists online:

2) Cultivate online friendships with other fans:

3) Get your local comic community to host a show:

1. I've done this before... well, sort of. Someone here on the boards connected me w/ Herb Trimpe's email, and being the gem of a person that he is, Herb got me all squared away with the fine looking Wolverine sketch in my CAF.

2. I'd probably say the majority of my art that has been acquired online is pretty well in line with your second point. I've purchased a healthy majority of my sketches from the board or online dealers recommended by board members. In fact... I've only purchased one item from you-know-where that was from an unknown seller (the other four items were from someone who rep'd the artist and a member of the boards here, and the other was from a collector who someone here recommended I contact--dude sold the items WAY below what the artists charged as he heard I was a big Spider-Geek).

3. As for this one... you said it best "This one is a bit more difficult...." ;)

I see validity in many of your points, and generally agree with an awful lot of what you're saying. And it's probably years of seeing this that's caused you to come down harder on this issue which I can understand as well. Still, I have to agree with a previous poster when they said it's not always so black and white. There have been similar discussions to "who owes who" over in the signature forum as well, and it's truthfully, both parties have played a little foul ball at times (which hurts everyone in the end one way or the other).