• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cerebus 1 for Sale

16 posts in this topic

Per this ebay auction -- see feedback from seller below:

Hmmmm -- counterfeit?

--- Amazing Heroes wrote:

Brian, The staples are silver. The other auctions mention that silver

is in the real one. I don't know what to tell you. I guess just factor it

into your final bid. Thanks, Steve

----- Original Message -----

To: "Amazing Heroes"

Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 10:51 AM

Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #2208742309

>

> Steve,

>

> Any update on the colors of the staples on the book?

>

> Thanks,

> Brian

Easiest way to tell if authentic is to check for flat black color of inside covers. As this Cerebus 1 is raw, ask the seller to open it up. There were a lot of counterfeits floating around in 1989 when the seller states he bought the comic (14 yrs ago). juggle.gif

I would agree with odin that the inside cover is the easiest way to tell. The staples on the originals were thick and not really super shiny, but I wouldn't call them bronze as opposed to silver either.

Also... if it's high grade it's fake, if it's low grade it might be real insane.gif

It was, drum roll...

4.5. Off-white to white.

In other words, like most other copies of this book!!

Which was exactly what I thought it was going to be based on my meagre grading skills. So I am somewhat stunned that I guessed it correctly. The front cover looks about a fine, but the back cover (top left hand corner) was what brought it down. On #1 it is of course emphasized by the fact that it's a wrap-around black cover. To be quite honest, the main reason for getting it slabbed was that I wanted to check that the book was defintely not counterfeit or color touched, which has been my previous experience with this book. The guy who sold the book to my wife (bless her!) said that he would refund should it come back as counterfeit and/or color touched.

So... don't know. I think that CGC applied the grading consistently as with other books, but I am inflating my ego somewhat by thinking this way grin.gif

I am curious to see what the others on ebay now would bring graded. I am somewhat sceptical that we'll ever see anything above a VF for this, and would consider that grade as my ultimate aim for it.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Cool, thanks for sharing. I don't follow sales as much as I used to so if you ever see a graded #1 on the market, please post it and share with us... I am very curious to see how they will do graded. I expect 6.5 and up will do very well. 4.5 probably remain constant, I should think.

Didn't you say that your wife bought it really cheap? Good for you! smile.gif

I just looked at my copy of Cerebus #1 and the staples are silver. Not particularly shiny, but definately not bronze. I bought it at the time that #29 came out, which was well before the counterfeits were printed, so my copy is definately genuine.

All the originals I have seen have a number of dings on the spine. The counterfeits I have seen have been nearly perfect. I am waiting for someone to ding up a counterfeit to make it "look" authentic.