• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it worth the hassle????

17 posts in this topic

On Silver Age Non Key books, is it worth the expense to get a spine roll removed? Here are the facts I just purchased an Amazing Spider-man #10, and it has a spine roll. If the book looks like about a 5.0, will CGC knock the book down a grade for having the spine roll? I am just looking at having it slabbed for my own collection, I'm not looking to make the book look better for sales purposes. I am sure it is cost prohibitive to have this book pressed, but I don't want to take a hit on the grade either. Is a spine roll allowed in a VG+ book according to CGC standards?

I don't have a book press or I would consider pressing the book myself.

Here is a picture of the front and back of the book. Keep in mind I haven't received it yet, so I am judging the condition off of the original auction description and the pictures.

Cover

spider10.jpg

Back

spider10back.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Looking at the scans of the front and back covers, it appears that the book was folded at the proper place along the spine. So why are the back pages and cover so "off" from the rest of the book when looking at the back cover? It doesn't appear that any spine roll is bad enough to cause it to look like that, does it? confused.gif

What a second... has the back cover been trimmed or has the entire back side of the book been trimmed back to the centerfold page ?!? shocked.gif

The facing page (that is not trimmed), does not look like the back page.... it looks like it may be the left side of the centerfold spread.

That's not good. I should have a better idea when I get the book in hand. Is there a to open the book at the center fold and lay it flat and then measure the length of the cover? It looks like the cover kind of bulges out in the back, which might explain some of the difference in where the front and back covers match up. When the boo is laid flat on the back cover the difference in the edges might not be as great as it appears in the picture.

These are all theory's of course and ultimately you folks might be right about the trimming. I am still planning on sending it in, and if I get the dreaded purple Restored label I guess I will chalk it up as a learning experience.

If it's trimmed, they will still grade it won't they???? Would they give it a qualified grade for trimming?

confused.gif

One other thing....when I look at the back cover the add is pretty well centered on the page, which would again lead me to believe it may not be trimmed...thoughts????

Another possibility....

The seller screwed up -- the scan for the back is from a different book. ????

You're right, the back cover ads appears to be too well centered to account for extreme trimming. And unless the book is being pressed down from the front photo, I can't see how that back could be from the same book.

Maybe you'll get lucky and the back looks as good as the front. The front looks pretty nice BTW....

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Duh!!!!!!!! Let's skip that possibility makepoint.gif

Hey, I went through all the possibilities, and IF that second scan is from the same book as shown in the first scan, and there are no other books underneath it, then a loose page/centerfold is the only logical explanation I can come up with.

But that book looks like it has a standard spine roll. Note the even layering of the pages as you go from back to front, as opposed to the stark "page sticking out" of your scan.

Plus, I don't see the offset being as stark in the EBay book....

Heck, I can't tell due to the scan being smaller. Anything is possible at this point, I just thought that it was interesting that another #10 had what looks to be a similar problem.

I agree, and that second scan you posted definitely has me scratching my head. It just donta maka no sense.

I have an ST 89 that was miscut. As far as I know there is no trimming. The centerfold sticks out. As JC noted it may have loose pages. The ST 89 I have when people ask for pics I opne right up to that spot just to show that the pages are still firmly attached. Also the interior pages jutting out tend to be more visible from the back of the book.