• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I know Avengers are hot, but...

83 posts in this topic

And THAT is why we should collect what we like! I like the Avengers alot, I also have a soft spot for this era as it is when I began collecting. If the person wants the book that bad, so be it. He obviously wasnt the only bidder. ...

There is absolutely no point in criticizing the mans purchase, I am sure he will be very happy with this book. And if he wanted a beater copy of AF 15, he could most likely afford it.

I completely agree with Resurrection. There are people out there with UNLIMITED funds. Haven't you guys been watching what "gem 10's" have been bringing in? If you have, then you wouldnt' be at all surprised by what this book went for. Personally I think its completely absurd, but personally can't wait till I hit a 10 someday, that way someone can buy my $1.00 book for $800.

OK, invest smartly if you're looking to make a profit. But even if you're buying for your own personal enjoyment and never intend to sell the book, don't you think you should also invest smartly?

I'm just sayin'.

Unless the enjoyment you get from this hobby is not from the book itself, but simply from the thrill of the chase... and the thrill of spending money. In which case, investing smartly isn't a priority.

And cujobyte: isn't it a contradiction to say you completely agree with Resurrection (who said there is absolutely no point in criticizing the man's purchase) and then say you think it's completely absurd to spend $800 on this book?

Wow, $800?

It might be one thing if it had a killer cover and you could display it as a piece of art. As it is, you could display it as a piece of crud.

John Buscema did some killer work during his first run on the Avengers (#41-62), but this era certainly wasn't his finest hour.

What? Your kidding right? I tought his work was fantastic in this era. The Masters of Evil, the Battle with Zeus, etc, this was all great stuff. With Stern doing the writing of alot of these stories it was magic and the last time an Avengers arc or storyline was worth reading.

Wow, $800?

It might be one thing if it had a killer cover and you could display it as a piece of art. As it is, you could display it as a piece of crud.

John Buscema did some killer work during his first run on the Avengers (#41-62), but this era certainly wasn't his finest hour.

What? Your kidding right? I tought his work was fantastic in this era. The Masters of Evil, the Battle with Zeus, etc, this was all great stuff. With Stern doing the writing of alot of these stories it was magic and the last time an Avengers arc or storyline was worth reading.

Personally, I thought his artwork was rather pedestrian and rote by this point in time. It didn't have anywhere near the graphic dynamics - the contrast in size, shape and tone; the sense of depth and energy in his compositions; the inventive and varied use of the panel size and shape; and his inventive use of the page itself, breaking out of the panel format altogether - that his first run on the Avengers had. I'm not saying that anything he did on the earlier Avengers run was ground-breaking, but it WAS a whole lot of care in this first Avengers work, which I found lacking later -- even on his second Avengers run just a year or so later.

Just MHO.

Wow, $800?

Personally, I thought his artwork was rather pedestrian and rote pretty much all the time...

as the saying goes: fixed that for ya!

: )

And THAT is why we should collect what we like! I like the Avengers alot, I also have a soft spot for this era as it is when I began collecting. If the person wants the book that bad, so be it. He obviously wasnt the only bidder. ...

There is absolutely no point in criticizing the mans purchase, I am sure he will be very happy with this book. And if he wanted a beater copy of AF 15, he could most likely afford it.

I completely agree with Resurrection. There are people out there with UNLIMITED funds. Haven't you guys been watching what "gem 10's" have been bringing in? If you have, then you wouldnt' be at all surprised by what this book went for. Personally I think its completely absurd, but personally can't wait till I hit a 10 someday, that way someone can buy my $1.00 book for $800.

OK, invest smartly if you're looking to make a profit. But even if you're buying for your own personal enjoyment and never intend to sell the book, don't you think you should also invest smartly?

I'm just sayin'.

Unless the enjoyment you get from this hobby is not from the book itself, but simply from the thrill of the chase... and the thrill of spending money. In which case, investing smartly isn't a priority.

And cujobyte: isn't it a contradiction to say you completely agree with Resurrection (who said there is absolutely no point in criticizing the man's purchase) and then say you think it's completely absurd to spend $800 on this book?

I could post all day of boook purchases that I see as horrible investments. 200K for an AF 15 comes to mind. The Rocky Mountain prices on C-link. For all common books, maybe highest graded but still not hard to find.

Ditto Surfer...

Buscema/Stern run copper run on Avengers is highly underrated. Bunch of $1 box stuff but good stories nonetheless.

That new Masters Of Evil with Goliath, Absorbing Man, the Wrecking Crew, Mentallo, Fixer, Moonstone and Zemo II...

wow. Most formidable group of villians to go against the Avengers.

This is purely a novelty buy by someone. They paid for "10" and not the comic...or maybe have a tangent interest in Avengers. It happens...but good luck selling it once the novelty wears off...

Jim

No, not a novelty buy.

The buyer is pastimperfekt, well known for paying exorbitant prices.

He does, however, buy to own.

Wow, $800?

Avengers stayed a great title until losing it's way a bit after the Proctor storyline. I consider the Avengers and Spectacular Spider-Man the best comics Marvel produced in the late-80s to early 90s. Alot of Marvel was drek at the time but these two titles were solid throughout...

Jim

Wow, $800?

Avengers stayed a great title until losing it's way a bit after the Proctor storyline. I consider the Avengers and Spectacular Spider-Man the best comics Marvel produced in the late-80s to early 90s. Alot of Marvel was drek at the time but these two titles were solid throughout...

Jim

Which run of Spectacular?

No, not a novelty buy.

score one for the boardie member! :applause:

????

Which boardie member do you mean?

pastimperfekt for his purchase, or 500Club for outing naming him?

I think it is a cool novelty to have a 10 in an Avengers run. Off hand, I don't know of any other 10s for any of the Avengers issues in volumes 1-3. Price was higher than I would have paid but that doesn't count for much since prices have routinely been higher than I would have paid and people keep buying.

pastimperfekt is clearly either lucky, smart or talented enough - or any combination therein - to be able to afford to buy whatever he wants to buy.

i think anyone criticising his purchases is doing so with a slight tinge of jealousy. myself included, as the first thing that went through my mind was something akin to :whatthe:

lord knows if i had the $$$ to burn, i'd be spending "stupid" money on books that would garner more than a few rolled eyes and behind-the-hand smirks

This is purely a novelty buy by someone. They paid for "10" and not the comic...or maybe have a tangent interest in Avengers. It happens...but good luck selling it once the novelty wears off...

Jim

No, not a novelty buy.

I agree. pastimperfekt may pay what we consider high prices for books, but he obviously has the means. I have sold him numerous copies of my high grade Avengers and he has been nothing short of professional. I have enjoyed dealing with him and hope he has the best Avengers run in the world someday as he is a collector first and foremost. I will not disclose his name in respect of his privacy, but the guy is top-notch. I feel he is talked about way too often for what he spends. It really isn't any of our business on what he chooses to buy and he should not be singled out for doing so.

No, not a novelty buy.

score one for the boardie member! :applause:

????

Which boardie member do you mean?

pastimperfekt for his purchase, or 500Club for outing naming him?

the seller of the book. :baiting: