• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I know Avengers are hot, but...

83 posts in this topic

pastimperfekt is clearly either lucky, smart or talented enough - or any combination therein - to be able to afford to buy whatever he wants to buy.

i think anyone criticising his purchases is doing so with a slight tinge of jealousy. myself included, as the first thing that went through my mind was something akin to :whatthe:

lord knows if i had the $$$ to burn, i'd be spending "stupid" money on books that would garner more than a few rolled eyes and behind-the-hand smirks

pastimperfekt may pay what we consider high prices for books, but he obviously has the means. I have sold him numerous copies of my high grade Avengers and he has been nothing short of professional. I have enjoyed dealing with him and hope he has the best Avengers run in the world someday as he is a collector first and foremost. I will not disclose his name in respect of his privacy, but the guy is top-notch. I feel he is talked about way too often for what he spends. It really isn't any of our business on what he chooses to buy and he should not be singled out for doing so.

Oh come on. This board is full "oh-my-g0d" posts ridiculing the astronomical prices people pay for books. Why should there be a different set of rules if the buyer is a boardie?

HOWEVER... I need to point out that I never named the buyer (yes, I did point out that I knew he was a boardie - simply because I didn't want anyone jumping on me thinking I had started a thread about a fellow boardie without knowledge of that fact), nor did I criticize him for his purchase.

I think my original post was clear in its intent: I simply stated that $800 for this book is not a sound financial investment, as HG copper books are plentiful. They just haven't been slabbed. Yet. That's not a criticism of the buyer.

I also said that there is a "pathological desire" amongst some collectors to own the highest graded copy of a book at any cost. Call that a criticism if you will... I didn't.

I also posed a question: what will this book be worth if and when other 10.0s crawl out of the woodwork?

lord knows if i had the $$$ to burn, i'd be spending "stupid" money on books that would garner more than a few rolled eyes and behind-the-hand smirks

I would hope you'd prove wiser than that :foryou:

Sound investment? Who are we to judge?

Funny thing is everytime someone pops a 10 for lots of cash, someone proclaims how many more there are out there. But the funny part is when those so called others do not surface.

pastimperfekt is clearly either lucky, smart or talented enough - or any combination therein - to be able to afford to buy whatever he wants to buy.

i think anyone criticising his purchases is doing so with a slight tinge of jealousy. myself included, as the first thing that went through my mind was something akin to :whatthe:

pastimperfekt may pay what we consider high prices for books, but he obviously has the means. I have sold him numerous copies of my high grade Avengers and he has been nothing short of professional. I have enjoyed dealing with him and hope he has the best Avengers run in the world someday as he is a collector first and foremost. I will not disclose his name in respect of his privacy, but the guy is top-notch. I feel he is talked about way too often for what he spends. It really isn't any of our business on what he chooses to buy and he should not be singled out for doing so.

Oh come on. This board is full "oh-my-g0d" posts ridiculing the astronomical prices people pay for books. Why should there be a different set of rules if the buyer is a boardie?

HOWEVER... I need to point out that I never named the buyer (yes, I did point out that I knew he was a boardie - simply because I didn't want anyone jumping on me thinking I had started a thread about a fellow boardie without knowledge of that fact), nor did I criticize him for his purchase.

I think my original post was clear in its intent: I simply stated that $800 for this book is not a sound financial investment, as HG copper books are plentiful. They just haven't been slabbed. Yet. That's not a criticism of the buyer.

I also said that there is a "pathological desire" amongst some collectors to own the highest graded copy of a book at any cost. Call that a criticism if you will... I didn't.

I also posed a question: what will this book be worth if and when other 10.0s crawl out of the woodwork?

Drew, I like you and respect you as a fellow collector, but you cannot tell me that "PI" isn't the one who is usually singled out for paying nosebleed prices for books. Yes, there are alot of the threads you speak about....heck, I have started one or two myself in the past four years, but it seems that his name is the one who is constantly coming up whenever a price like this is paid. Maybe he is the only buyer paying prices such as these, therefore he is the one always brought to light? I don't know. Because he is a forumite does mean he deserves a little more discretion in my opinion.

My comments on the first page weren't intended as criticism of pastimperfekt either. I think he spends a hell of a lot of money on comics but I don't condemn him for that. On the one occasion when I've spoken to him, he seemed like a friendly and easy to talk to guy.

I may think it's a bit mad to spend a huge amount on 10.0's but I think that about 9.8's too. Just my opinion, I've got no problem with those who think otherwise. I'm sure there are a lot of collectors who have been frustrated because they can't compete with pastimperfekt in an auction but there is nothing wrong with being able/willing to pay more than everybody else.

I agree with Andrew's point that it's doubtful that the money paid for this book will ever be seen in return but I'm guessing that it probably doesn't matter.

IMO...If you are buying that book as an investment then it hard for me to see a good rate of return on it in the long run. However, if you got the cash and you want it for your personal collection then all bets are off.

I've bid against the guy so often that pastimperfekt has spent nearly as much of my money as my ex-wife! :o

I've probably spent a lot of his, too, coming in as the underbidder. :makepoint:

Drew, I like you and respect you as a fellow collector, but you cannot tell me that "PI" isn't the one who is usually singled out for paying nosebleed prices for books. Yes, there are alot of the threads you speak about....heck, I have started one or two myself in the past four years, but it seems that his name is the one who is constantly coming up whenever a price like this is paid. Maybe he is the only buyer paying prices such as these, therefore he is the one always brought to light? I don't know. Because he is a forumite does mean he deserves a little more discretion in my opinion.

Hey, Scott. :hi::foryou:

I think you're right: he's brought to light more often because he's paying top prices more often. And on many occasions I admire his tenacity and bidding smarts: he may pay big bucks, but often the price he pays makes sound fiscal sense given the book in question. In this case I questioned the fiscal logic of paying $800 for a book that can be commonly found in raw 9.6 state for a few dollars.

If it was a purely emotional purchase, then that's great. Good on him.

Again, I didn't name names; I simply pointed people in the direction of a very public auction. I don't think that's being indiscreet. Sure, many boardies would look at the auction and recognize his ID. But he chose to bid on a public auction where others would see what he paid.

And again, I DID NOT HAVE S3XUAL RELATIONS WITH THAT WOMAN... er ... I DID NOT CRITICIZE HIM!

Sound investment? Who are we to judge?

Funny thing is everytime someone pops a 10 for lots of cash, someone proclaims how many more there are out there. But the funny part is when those so called others do not surface.

Aren't you hoarding a closet full of them, nik? Oh wait. Those are raw 9.8s you have. They just haven't received the CGC "NB" yet. :insane:

OK, maybe there aren't any more 10s. Who knows. But it wouldn't surprise me if there were. There are a few late 70s and 80s Marvel titles I've had my eye on lately where there have been next to no 9.6s, let alone 9.8s in the census... and in the past couple of months fresh new 9.8s have started to pop up for sale like dandelions. Sure, those aren't 10s, but I do think it's a good indication that to date we've just seen the tip of the copper slabbing iceberg.

It's just MHO, but I think that there are a whole lot of raw 9.8 and 9.9-grade copper collections out there... and I'd be surprised if they didn't contain more 10s. Give it time.

Oh noez! Teh Angst! Oh noez! Teh Judgemtal peoplez!

So.....what? If we don't like the book we don't have the right to opine about it without the expectation of hurting anyone's feelings? It's nothing personal against whoever bought it. More power to 'em. For example, I bought a pence copy of ASM #1 from comicdey last year and have heard from more than one person indirectly that it was a dumb purchase because it was a pence issue. What do I care? I love it! Make teh fun all u want!

Not really sure what the big deal is. I'm sure the buyer could care less what we all think of his/her purchase, and that's the way it should be. Why should he/she? He/she might think my high grade run of Automatic Kafka is stupid too, but I love them because I collect them.

On a somewhat related topic, it doesn't get much better than Johnny's original Surfer run.

It does however, in my opinion, get MILES better than that Avengers cover. The 10.0 grade doesn't make the art suck any less.

And besides, you Avengers fans have got to stick together! :sumo:

And besides, you Avengers fans have got to stick together! :sumo:

:gossip: We do have a little :censored: going on the side.

Kind of like the "He-Man Woman Haters Club". But different.