• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I know Avengers are hot, but...

83 posts in this topic

To be frank, I don't even know who would submit this book for slabbing - I probably have 10 copies out in the garage . . . :insane:

6f70nr.jpg

I submitted my copy. I kinda like HG slabbed Avengers.

To be frank, I don't even know who would submit this book for slabbing - I probably have 10 copies out in the garage . . . :insane:

(worship)

Agreed (worship)

I have yet to see anyone buying Avengers as actively as the Cheetah man (thumbs u

6f70nr.jpg

Hello Divad,

I plead guilty to submitting the book as well and in much lower grade.

BUTM,

It is also a double cover.

pastimperfekt is clearly either lucky, smart or talented enough - or any combination therein - to be able to afford to buy whatever he wants to buy.

i think anyone criticising his purchases is doing so with a slight tinge of jealousy. myself included, as the first thing that went through my mind was something akin to :whatthe:

lord knows if i had the $$$ to burn, i'd be spending "stupid" money on books that would garner more than a few rolled eyes and behind-the-hand smirks

pastimperfekt may pay what we consider high prices for books, but he obviously has the means. I have sold him numerous copies of my high grade Avengers and he has been nothing short of professional. I have enjoyed dealing with him and hope he has the best Avengers run in the world someday as he is a collector first and foremost. I will not disclose his name in respect of his privacy, but the guy is top-notch. I feel he is talked about way too often for what he spends. It really isn't any of our business on what he chooses to buy and he should not be singled out for doing so.

Oh come on. This board is full "oh-my-g0d" posts ridiculing the astronomical prices people pay for books. Why should there be a different set of rules if the buyer is a boardie?

HOWEVER... I need to point out that I never named the buyer (yes, I did point out that I knew he was a boardie - simply because I didn't want anyone jumping on me thinking I had started a thread about a fellow boardie without knowledge of that fact), nor did I criticize him for his purchase.

I think my original post was clear in its intent: I simply stated that $800 for this book is not a sound financial investment, as HG copper books are plentiful. They just haven't been slabbed. Yet. That's not a criticism of the buyer.

I also said that there is a "pathological desire" amongst some collectors to own the highest graded copy of a book at any cost. Call that a criticism if you will... I didn't.

I also posed a question: what will this book be worth if and when other 10.0s crawl out of the woodwork?

Drew, I like you and respect you as a fellow collector, but you cannot tell me that "PI" isn't the one who is usually singled out for paying nosebleed prices for books. Yes, there are alot of the threads you speak about....heck, I have started one or two myself in the past four years, but it seems that his name is the one who is constantly coming up whenever a price like this is paid. Maybe he is the only buyer paying prices such as these, therefore he is the one always brought to light? I don't know. Because he is a forumite does mean he deserves a little more discretion in my opinion.

Actually, I'm guilty of naming him....

I don't think he warrants discretion or criticism. He buys/pays aggressively for books he wants, and appears to be a set/run builder. How can a buyer/collector like that not be good for the hobby.

He is a pain-in-the-azz to compete with for books, though. lol

(worship)

Agreed (worship)

I have yet to see anyone buying Avengers as actively as the Cheetah man (thumbs u

I'd like to add my (worship) to the cheetah praising too.

6f70nr.jpg

Hello Divad,

I plead guilty to submitting the book as well and in much lower grade.

BUTM,

It is also a double cover.

Nice!

Thanks, Garry. I admit I've spent a little too much time perusing the various auction sites over the last couple of years.

You've got a hell of a collection to show for it. I wish I could see it in person. :cloud9:

Everyone who sees it says the same thing..."You mean ALL of those BOXES are full of COMIC BOOKS?!?"

I don't even bother showing them the boxes stacked in the closet...

Well...thanks for the several e-mails about this thread...I think

I do agree that buying this book was probably not cost-effective or whatever. But I didn't buy it to flip or anything, my son will inherit it in 30 years or so. :angel:

And I am a dedicated Avengers fan and am slowly trying to amass a complete run (though this New, Mighty, Dark, three different covers for every issue is getting out of hand). I certainly like dedicated more than pathological. (thumbs u

And, as someone astutely stated, I thought it would be cool to own a 10.0 Avenger for my run (I've got a bunch of 9.9s but no 10). And, after you've paid what would buy a really nice car for a single comic, $800 bucks doesn't seem too bad. doh!

And I don't need an AF 15 cgc 2.0, I've got a nice copy. :applause:

And I don't need a xbox 360,Wii or PS3. Between my kids, there's all of these in the house, multiple times. :headbang:

And perhaps cooper cgc 10s are just waiting to fall out of trees, but I don't see it and don't care (and, if another shows up, I'll bid on it to get my cost basis down). :devil:

As far as money goes, all I expect is to break even overall. And, basically, by making money on bronze but losing money on coppers and moderns, I've done just that (though I would have lost my shirt for the first six months I bought stuff if not for some incredible luck). :acclaim:

here4now/pastimperfekt

PS: thanks to Wrightson Fan (who I highly recommend as a seller and all-around good guy) and cheetah for sticking up for me. Takes a dedicated Avengers fan to know one.

:baiting:

I do agree that buying this book was probably not cost-effective or whatever. But I didn't buy it to flip or anything, my son will inherit it in 30 years or so. :angel:

And I am a dedicated Avengers fan and am slowly trying to amass a complete run (though this New, Mighty, Dark, three different covers for every issue is getting out of hand). I certainly like dedicated more than pathological. (thumbs u

And, as someone astutely stated, I thought it would be cool to own a 10.0 Avenger for my run (I've got a bunch of 9.9s but no 10). And, after you've paid what would buy a really nice car for a single comic, $800 bucks doesn't seem too bad. doh!

And I don't need a xbox 360,Wii or PS3. Between my kids, there's all of these in the house, multiple times. :headbang:

And perhaps cooper cgc 10s are just waiting to fall out of trees, but I don't see it and don't care (and, if another shows up, I'll bid on it to get my cost basis down). :devil:

As far as money goes, all I expect is to break even overall. And, basically, by making money on bronze but losing money on coppers and moderns, I've done just that (though I would have lost my shirt for the first six months I bought stuff if not for some incredible luck). :acclaim:

here4now/pastimperfekt

PS: thanks to Wrightson Fan (who I highly recommend as a seller and all-around good guy) and cheetah for sticking up for me. Takes a dedicated Avengers fan to know one.

:applause:

I would love to see that collection when finished. And I would love to have a 10.0 for my Tec collection. But I am not holding my breath

Good for you, for being happy with your collecting. I'm glad that you don't take speculative/commentary threads about you too seriously. (thumbs u

I'm a big Avengers fan myself but I'm just not a follower of uber high grades. I still appreciate them though even if I don't follow them.

Hello h4n,

I'll send you a PM, but I also wanted to post in the public forum.

I know I have said it a few times already in this thread, but it bears repeating: I didn't criticize you personally for your purchase; I did express my doubts about it making fiscal sense. I also said (belatedly) that if you're not concerned about the long-term value of the investment, and it's all about what makes you happy, then that's GREAT!

The one word I did use that could be taken as personal criticism was "pathological" (which you already called me on (thumbs u ) -- meaning extreme or excessive behaviour. "Pathological" was a strong word for it, and I apologize. How about "focused"?! :insane:

Anyway, you're clearly passionate about this hobby and you're not hurting anyone. So good on ya. :foryou:

I will also say that I was in a really F-ing bad frame of mind yesterday (about nothing in particular), otherwise I probably wouldn't have started the thread in the first place. New rule for me: don't post when you're P-ed off.

And the next time I spend crazy money (aagh. sorry.) an impressive amount of money on a funny book, I'll be the first to post it here for all to see. A boardie version of the Scarlet Letter. Or a public stoning.

Cheers.

Andrew

I didn't think you were critical of H4N Andrew and I don't think most people here would think you were. Those of us that know you, know that you are one of the good guys and a credit to the boards. Your concern about your comments being taken the wrong way only go to prove this. :foryou:

here4now/pastimperfekt

Nice post, PI. :)

here4now/pastimperfekt

Good for you. Nobody should have to justify what they collect and how much they spend on an issue.

And doesn't She-Hulk look frisky on that cover!