• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - SCI FI CHANNEL

36 posts in this topic

Is the Sci Fi channel hard up for cash??? ????

ECW

No offence to those who watch wrestling, but its not exactly the usual Sci Fi programming... :makepoint:

Hell, ECW has been on SCIFI for a couple years now.

That channel has really gone in the crapper over the years, unfortunately. You used to be able to watch the old classics and now all you get is wrestling, ghost hunters and bad 'Originial SCI-FI Presentations'.

Bring back the Six Million Dollar Man and The Hulk!

That channel has really gone in the crapper over the years, unfortunately. You used to be able to watch the old classics and now all you get is wrestling, ghost hunters and bad 'Originial SCI-FI Presentations'.

MST3K (thumbs u

A lot of stations do things like that. Take Cartoon Network for example. When they first started they showed all the classic Hanna Barbera toons and old Warner Brothers animated shorts. Slowly they started to replace that stuff with new original series. Things like Dexter's Lab and Johnny Bravo. Those early original shows weren't bad but they didn't stop there and now the only old stuff they show is Scooby Doo I think.

If you want that old classic stuff, you have to get their sister channel Boomerang, which very few cable systems seem to even carry. :(

I do like their daily "marathons" during the week...today is The Outer Limits :banana:

A lot of stations do things like that. Take Cartoon Network for example. When they first started they showed all the classic Hanna Barbera toons and old Warner Brothers animated shorts. Slowly they started to replace that stuff with new original series. Things like Dexter's Lab and Johnny Bravo. Those early original shows weren't bad but they didn't stop there and now the only old stuff they show is Scooby Doo I think.

If you want that old classic stuff, you have to get their sister channel Boomerang, which very few cable systems seem to even carry. :(

Yeah, that's definitely the way of the beast. It's really too bad they can't have a better balance of classics and the new (heavy emphasis on '') and NO WRESTLING. I mean, wtf?

Boomerang is an EXCELLENT channel, which I'm lucky enough to have! There is a horror channel called 'Chiller' that is supposed to be pretty good too, but I don't have that in my area :(

Yeah, that's definitely the way of the beast. It's really too bad they can't have a better balance of classics and the new (heavy emphasis on '') and NO WRESTLING. I mean, wtf?

Boomerang is an EXCELLENT channel, which I'm lucky enough to have! There is a horror channel called 'Chiller' that is supposed to be pretty good too, but I don't have that in my area :(

Wish I had Boomerang...really miss those classic toon shows

i guess i'm lucky, one of my local channels that went all digital has a second channel of nothing but classic(?) tv shows from the 50's to the 80's.

the funneist thing with the sci-fi "originals" is the blood effects, tom savini would be rolling in his grave if he was dead.

just because you can use cgi effects from 1990 does not mean you should use it in every movie. the scripts are horrible, they must've hired some dead primates to write the scripts and dialog.

j

i guess i'm lucky, one of my local channels that went all digital has a second channel of nothing but classic(?) tv shows from the 50's to the 80's.

the funneist thing with the sci-fi "originals" is the blood effects, tom savini would be rolling in his grave if he was dead.

just because you can use cgi effects from 1990 does not mean you should use it in every movie. the scripts are horrible, they must've hired some dead primates to write the scripts and dialog.

j

You got that right. There was some sasquatch movie on last week where they had a CGI sasquatch that they had do the 'special effects' like jumping 50 feet or whatever. It looked like something out of an old 1983 Atari video game. The regular live action sasquatch looked ok, but that CGI one... :eek:

The various Wrestling shows are routinely the top rated programs on cable... :gossip:

Jim

Exactly, TV stations don't care as long as they get their ratings.

Wrestling = BIG ratings!!

Plus it dont hurt that USA Network, which owns the SCI FI Channel has an exclusive deal with the WWE.

The various Wrestling shows are routinely the top rated programs on cable... :gossip:

Jim

That's all fine and dandy, but Wrestling doesn't belong on the SciFi Channel. If they're so concerned about ratings, why not start a wrestling channel? Whoever is running that station obviously doesn't care about the core audience that made SciFi a viable business model in the first place.

Hell, ESPN is a SPORTS NETWORK and they don't have wrestling. They air bowling instead. Go figure.

I see all the arguments for airing wrestling and have been down this road ad-nauseum (as have many other fans on the SciFi forums), and it still doesn't make their answer any better. I used to watch their channel 5-6 days a week. Now I watch Battlestar Galactica and once that's done, I probably won't watch at all. Hope their wrestling ratings make up for it.

Jim

That's all fine and dandy, but Wrestling doesn't belong on the SciFi Channel. If they're so concerned about ratings, why not start a wrestling channel? Whoever is running that station obviously doesn't care about the core audience that made SciFi a viable business model in the first place.

Hell, ESPN is a SPORTS NETWORK and they don't have wrestling. They air bowling instead. Go figure.

I see all the arguments for airing wrestling and have been down this road ad-nauseum (as have many other fans on the SciFi forums), and it still doesn't make their answer any better. I used to watch their channel 5-6 days a week. Now I watch Battlestar Galactica and once that's done, I probably won't watch at all. Hope their wrestling ratings make up for it.

I agree...I don't watch Sci-Fi at all other than BSG...

But from a programmer's standpoint, when wrestling brings in 5 times the audience of BSG, I can understand why they devote two hours a week to it...

Jim

Jim

But from a programmer's standpoint, when wrestling brings in 5 times the audience of BSG, I can understand why they devote two hours a week to it...

Jim

Which begs the question: why are they even in the SciFi business in the first place if wrestling is so much better? Start a wrestling channel FFS.

Jim

Jim

Which begs the question: why are they even in the SciFi business in the first place if wrestling is so much better? Start a wrestling channel FFS.

I think they're still devoted to SCi-Fi.

Isn't ECW only on for 1 Hr. a week? I really don't see what the big deal is. So you dont watch Sci-Fi for one hour on tues. nights -not the end of the world.

The reason for the change is ratings. the classic nostalgia stuff we loved does terrible in the ratings,even TVLand went to new stuff. TOS Classic Star Trek bombed on Sci-fi Channel. The young generation clicks the channel if they see b&w or cheesy special effects. The good news is 95 percent of the classic stuff is on dvd if you want to watch it, with the other 5 percent(Batman Adam West/Six Million Dollar Man) on ovguide.com. Myself I am happy I can watch Hogan`s Heroes on Universal HD channel. It`s sweet to see a old show like Hogan`s Heroes in HDTV, brings a whole new fresh experience to it.

j

Don't, I repeat DON'T watch Stan Lee's The Harpies. :sick: