• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spiderman is Greek! Has anyone ever seen these ?

48 posts in this topic

GreekSpideys4.jpg

GreekSpideyad.jpg

These were Greek reprints of Spiderman waaaaaay back in the late 70s up to the mid 80s. They are out of print and simply impossible to find. Love them though, that is how I spent my summers on the beach back then when I was a kid.

:roflmao:

oooohhhhh i have a pretty good memory of these during beachtime :D

and maaaan!!!!! you even have the old once lol

remember the father from myBFGwedding who insists that everything is stolen from greek civilisation? of course it is! so is spidey!!!! :roflmao:

Yea I know, and yet they call him anthrope Arachne everywhere else lol and most people would recognize the word anthrope if I combined it with a more common term used today ANTHROPology" sounds familiar?

I like how "Man" is the only English word on the covers.

No Greek equivalent?

well, actually there´s written spider-man in greek letters. the englisch pronunciation in hellenic letters. since the latin letters M A and N are they same as they are in greek, there´s no difference in that. otherwise there might have been written something else.

a language that is one of the oldest still speaking languages of the world has a lot of equivalent words to other languages.

which actually can also be a problem, since a lot words don´t have equivalent words in other languages as f.e. in latin. which, of course, has caused a loooooot of theological trouble (which now is not such a big issue anylonger since most of these linguistic problems can be solved).

I like how "Man" is the only English word on the covers.

No Greek equivalent?

well, actually there´s written spider-man in greek letters. the englisch pronunciation in hellenic letters. since the latin letters M A and N are they same as they are in greek, there´s no difference in that. otherwise there might have been written something else.

a language that is one of the oldest still speaking languages of the world has a lot of equivalent words to other languages.

which actually can also be a problem, since a lot words don´t have equivalent words in other languages as f.e. in latin. which, of course, has caused a loooooot of theological trouble (which now is not such a big issue anylonger since most of these linguistic problems can be solved).

true too, those letters are part of the Greek alphabet

Those must be nik's books... (:

Nope, although I did have a few. My favorites were Lucky Luke, Serafino and Tiramola growing up.

Nik at the forum dinner in NYC we were sitting around and there was a table of European dudes and gals beside us...I ended up jumping in and talking to them a bit because they were kind of secluded from the rest of the gang...and I thought the one guy name Giannis was actually Yannis over here on the boards...turns out he was not the same guy but he was an artist.

His friends were saying that he was one of the most popular artists in Greece in comics...ever hear of this guy?

R.

Looking for 2 pulp type magazines that will be eye catching. Can't remember where I. Had them but both were war related. But yea Spidey was a big thing in Greece. I believe Conan was second in popularity. Greeks were always into epics. Speaking of Spidey again , we all know his real hidden name............... Petros Parkerdakis lol

Nope, although I did have a few. My favorites were Lucky Luke, Serafino and Tiramola growing up.

Nik at the forum dinner in NYC we were sitting around and there was a table of European dudes and gals beside us...I ended up jumping in and talking to them a bit because they were kind of secluded from the rest of the gang...and I thought the one guy name Giannis was actually Yannis over here on the boards...turns out he was not the same guy but he was an artist.

His friends were saying that he was one of the most popular artists in Greece in comics...ever hear of this guy?

R.

You're probably talking about Giannis Rouboulias. I know he was in NYCC with a couple of friends. Big guy, with glasses and facial hair? He's a good friend, a real nice guy, and one the most popular artists of the new generation.

R.

You're probably talking about Giannis Rouboulias. I know he was in NYCC with a couple of friends. Big guy, with glasses and facial hair? He's a good friend, a real nice guy, and one the most popular artists of the new generation.

That's the guy! It was a great group!

I remember those

I used to have lots of those books