• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10?

32 posts in this topic

I saw that book in the current Heritage auction. In my opinion it's not a 10.0. A 10 should be flawless... but that's just my opinion.

This is, was, and always will be, the only 10...EVER!

14681428_Bo_Derek_375x500.jpg

Too skinny, left elbow is flawed, not enough puff to the lips..yadda yadda.

Dude, don't even...

The 10 is rare, but there have only been two 9.9's in history...

barbara_eden.jpg-1176.jpg

1130697083.jpg

lol

Is that the chick from the 80's movie Weird Science or something like that?

Yes. That scene has probably launched more seamen than the British Navy. :insane:

Maybe there are no copies of this book without that defect. If this is the best they've seen then it is a 10 to them.

Grading shouldn't be relative.

By this logic, the best copy of every book should be a 10.0... even if it's a VF.

:makepoint:

:baiting:

What specifications?

Seems to me like there are very clear specifications. The cover and staples are supposed to be centered on the spine, there should not be printing hickeys, there should not be printers creases, there should not be chips in the edge of the page. These are all things that happen when the process does not work perfectly.

You guys are trying to make it sound like CGC gets out their vernier calipers, micrometers and microscopes to find a "10"

I don't need a microscope to see the chips on the top edge.

This book is a 10.

Actually, the copy without the chips in the top edge may be a 10.

:devil:

Those are some tiiiiny defects. That being said, they are visible to the naked eye, and therefore I don't see how this can be a 10. To me a 10 should appear perfect to the naked eye.

There is more to grading a book than just structure. There is feel, gloss, suppleness, smoothness. There is so much more than a book can show in a scan.

I had a book that I submitted..X-men #101 came back a 9.8...one of the graders put into the notes "wow". Why? Structurally the book was a 10 IMO but a miswrap kept it grading higher than 9.8.

Some books just catch you like no others. It's hard to describe...anyway...I'm off on a tangent...

Getting back to this book not being a 10....Dude, that scan is not the naked eye. It's blown up twice it's normal size. You hold that book at arm's length and you won't see those.

I've got better than 20/20 vision and I need to focus to see them in the blown up scan.

No, I hear you, you definitely wouldn't see that at arms length. But in hand I still think you would see that close up. Like someone else said, if you don't have those defects, however minute, is the book a 10.1? That same exact book, minus that small defect, would still be a better book, right?

Those go to eleven. One minter.