• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 "Investments" of the 1990s - Looking Back

88 posts in this topic

That's not what he's talking about. The publishing history is:

Gladstone series one (pointy "G" icon) (what you're talking about: eg US 241)

Disney published series (starts with US 243)

Gladstone series two (round "G" icon) (what shiver speaks of: eg US 310)

New Gemstone books (starts US 319)

--Hope this helps. And yeah, the late series 2 books are tough with print runs of 4,000 - 10,000 on the late issues. Worth $5-$25 currently.

Series 2 - Round G

Dan

PS - series one gladstones are plentiful and fairly cheap, unfortunately:

Series one - pointy g

Probably not....I had a standing order for all Duck books as I was trying to build something my girls would want when they grew up.

One got Uncle Scrooge, Duck Tales, WCD&S, Donald Duck, whilst the other got Mickey's plus all the specials (summer, Winter, Spring etc etc).

Never realised how difficult it must have been for the guy to get the gladstones that came after the disney's. Just goes to show...what you don't know turns out as a pleasant surprise. thumbsup2.gif

hey Bronty, thanks for doing all my legwork there! thumbsup2.gif i am building my second attempt at the late run gladstones, my first went when i moved from my nightmare house with ex fiance situation to my apartment. I lucked out and picked up about half of all the prestige format ones for $5 a throw a couple months ago, but am having IMMENSE difficulty finishing off the run. Bronty helped with 2 major ones, but my offer of $30 on US #310 still stands.

The early ones ARE great, I agree... but they're played out. Reprinted many times. No new mickey stories of any significance since the riddle of the red hat and that must be 50 years ago now!! foreheadslap.gif

With the ducks at least rosa has made a significant contribution and kept the torch burning... but he has no interest in the mickey character frown.gif

Dan

I watched part of a disney documentary a while back and the cartoon artists all mentioned that it was really tough using mickey in the cartoons after a while because he had become the cute, non-threatening company mascot. They couldn't have mickey do or say anything offensive or violent; they really had no material to work with when it came to the mouse. Due to his being a company icon, he had to have this really flat, goody-two-shoes personality (or lack thereof).

Donald on the other hand had a funny voice, a helluva short fuse for a temper, etc... so cartoons where they planned on using mickey, they ended up using Donald because it was just too difficult to write mickey into the story.

I imagine the comics writers had the same difficulty after while. Too flat a personality to write compelling stories for. Same problem DC has had with superman for 30+ years now. A guy that is all-powerful and will always do the right thing? Not easy to write about - the audience already knows what he will do and essentially how the story will end. How on earth do you build suspense under those conditions???

Dan

Thank you, thank you very much. I'll be here all week! acclaim.gif

It's too bad rosa isn't interested in giving it a try but the last time he was asked about it, he said something to the effect that he would leave the job of spending 30 years laying the groundwork for interesting stories (like barks had done with the ducks) to someone else.

If there's one direction rosa seems to be going, it's filling in the holes and/or tying together the loose threads of the history barks laid down. A lot of his stories use barks stories as jumping off points. For example, the latest story in US 324 clearly uses "A Christmas for Shacktown" as the impetus. It sounds like he's more comfortable building on tradition than he is in striking out in an entirely new direction.

Looking back on this thread wasn't the original question "which '90s comics sell for the most money NOW?" As in currently? I'd really be interested in that top ten list personally. We kind of got sidetracked with picking the future and talking about Carnage.

Looking back on this thread wasn't the original question "which '90s comics sell for the most money NOW?" As in currently? I'd really be interested in that top ten list personally. We kind of got sidetracked with picking the future and talking about Carnage.

Yep, that was the original intent... raw price averages that we ALREADY see...

and I think we need to make both a "regular issue"

and a "variant issue" Top 10 list.

Lord knows I don't collect modern books but here's a feeble attempt at the top ten NON-VARIANT, NON-HARDCOVER, NON-GRAPHIC NOVEL 90s books raw, in no particular order. I am sure this list will be wildly inaccurate but hopefully others can build on it/ refine it. Just the first ten books that sprung to mind based on eBay sales. Some books that are high in the guide like the Creepy Fearbook and the Allred books (creatures of the id, grafik musik) go for next to nothing on eBay.

GI Joe 155 (around $50 raw)

GI Joe special (around $75 raw per Darth)

Bone #1 1st ($100?)

I Lusiphur #1 (wow, one just ended at only $31 blush.gif)

Akira 38 (just ended at $31)

Punisher kills the Marvel Universe ($35-$40)

Witchblade #1 ($30)

US 310 ($20-25)

US 318 ($20-25)

Adventurous Scrooge McDuck #2 ($20-$25)

Honorable mention: Lone Wolf and Cub #45 ($20-30 last I checked but it's been a long while since I did in fact check - it may have dropped)

....lookie all the independents! blush.gif