• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Can I get a CGC Witness on Feb. 28th at Geoffrey's Comics in Gardena?

21 posts in this topic

I'd love to go, but I'll be attending the WonderCon convention in San Francisco, and my ticket is already bought for SF. I'm doing a private signing with the guys this weekend, if you already have your books and want to get them signed and CGCed. PM me for details.

Anyone else? Fingerprint.ink?

Joel

good luck with that...there aren't any LA witnesses. Hopefully CGC will accept my application to be one.

That would be cool. I hope you do become a CGC SS Witness (you already have a lot of experience helping out the witnesses) I can't believe we don't have anyone close (Joel is based in SD).

Brian

I can't believe we don't have any local CGC SS witnesses in the LA county area. There seems to be enough local shows and other venues (store signings, events like the UCLA book fair, etc) where one or two witnesses would be justified. It's cool that fingerprint_ink is stepping up to offer his/her help with this signing, but IMHO, adding $60 in addtion to the normal signing and grading fees would turn me off to get some comics signed.

(Brian hastily jumps off his soap box and scurries away)

Brian

Well, to be fair, I do not think that CGC witnesses are chosen based on location, but rather their experience in the industry and other factors that I am sure someone from CGC can answer better than me. (trying to avoid the foot in mouth routine) :)

The only reason fingerprint.ink is even asking for $60 here is to cover his fuel cost from Santa Maria to LA for the signing. Trust me, even my fuel cost for a day trip to LA is $30 as I know from last weekend. There's no discussion of compensation for time even. But I don't want to belabor this point too.

If other people want to get books signed and CGC graded, please speak up, and maybe together, you can distribute the extra cost per book. If I wasn't at WonderCon, I'd be glad to help.

Joel

While we are working on a regional map to assist you people interested in making arrangements with Witnesses for signings, it is true that there are many areas that have no local representation at all. This is still primarily a convention-centered service.

Unfortunately, I think the only option may be to have a Witness brought in for the event, which may end up being too costly. Jesse/Fingerprint Ink's offer is a legitimate one --- if you really need a Witness, he's available if you pay him $60 for his travel expenses. It's a lot cheaper than flying someone in from Florida, which was the only option for many years before the appointment of California based Witnesses like Jesse and Joel.

As Joel has gone out of his way to arrange signings with Mr. Wells and Mr. Nauck, he would be a good person to talk to have your books sent to if you aren't interested in paying for Jesse.

good luck with that...there aren't any LA witnesses.

That is not true. Although the person I'm thinking of isn't active on this board.

John H.

A witness based out of LA was at the last Atomic comic signing in Chandler. I'm hoping he will show up on the 25th for the Larson signing. You never know he may show up on the 28th at Geoffrey's Comics.

Yea, we'll see. Just that $60 for a witness is costly to me IMO especially for a modern book. I also have to worry about paying for the CGC fees (grading, shipping the books to Sarasota, shipping it back to me, etc.) Now if I were to get a GA, SA, even a key BA book signed, then I would def. pay up. Well, if no witnesses can show up, then I'll be fine with it. Thanks or the offer fingerprint_ink.

I understand that $60 is a lot extra to ask for 1 Modern Book. I did have a private signing with Todd and Zeb last weekend, and I had it posted on these boards, but I acknowledge that I was only able to give 1 week's notice. Because of that private signing, I am not sure I would have enough books to book a new private signing with them to get your books signed.

Do I know this witness that is being referred to? (John or inthehottub, PM me more info) Unfortunately, since I was the witness at the Comic Bug signing on 1/21, and the Pulp Fiction Comics signing on 2/14, plus the recent private signing, I think a lot of the demand for witnessed books on this is gone. But hey, maybe another store will book the duo when I am in town. :)

Joel

I understand that $60 is a lot extra to ask for 1 Modern Book. I did have a private signing with Todd and Zeb last weekend, and I had it posted on these boards, but I acknowledge that I was only able to give 1 week's notice. Because of that private signing, I am not sure I would have enough books to book a new private signing with them to get your books signed.

Do I know this witness that is being referred to? (John or inthehottub, PM me more info) Unfortunately, since I was the witness at the Comic Bug signing on 1/21, and the Pulp Fiction Comics signing on 2/14, plus the recent private signing, I think a lot of the demand for witnessed books on this is gone. But hey, maybe another store will book the duo when I am in town. :)

Joel

Wish I knew about those other signing opportunities or else I would've gone. Oh well, maybe next time.