• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is One a High Grade Collector?

162 posts in this topic

I'm a high grade collector. It has to be as expensive and perfect and shiny and sharp as possible.

(worship)

You cannot imagine the inner battle I had to adjust to golden age. It was quite the struggle to realize that it's pretty much impossible to put together a GA run of ultra high grade books.

R.

A high grade collector is someone who consistently buys the best grade book he can afford and is continually upgrading previously purchased books as he is seldom satisfied with what he has in his collection.

Unless he is a HG GA collector, and then buying an 8.5 or 9.0 leaves him more then content to pursue a different book since there isn't an endless supply of "potentialized" books to keep upgrading to. (thumbs u

What was the point of the last part of your statement, George? I didn't find it necessary at all.

A high grade collector is someone who consistently buys the best grade book he can afford and is continually upgrading previously purchased books as he is seldom satisfied with what he has in his collection.

Unless he is a HG GA collector, and then buying an 8.5 or 9.0 leaves him more then content to pursue a different book since there isn't an endless supply of "potentialized" books to keep upgrading to. (thumbs u

What was the point of the last part of your statement, George? I didn't find it necessary at all.

You're right, it wasn't neccessary, it's pretty self-evident.

Pressing thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT'S IT! That's what makes a high grade collector! PRESSING.

doh!

Again, why does it matter if the book is pressed or not?

I agree with Watson on his assesment :thumbsup:

It's ridiculous.

Pressing threads are full of

people who say they don't press but do

people who say they press but don't

people who wish they pressed books

people who wish that people didn't press books.

back to our scheduled Schmirnoff drunken posting.

The only thing that is self-evident is your shortsightedness.

minigun.jpg

Not at all.

I'm just saying that the number of candidates that can go from 8.5 to 9.2 to 9.6 of a Golden Age book are far fewer than all the potential Silver and Bronze candidates out there.

That simple fact makes an 8.5 GA book a rare thing...and good enough for most GA high grade collectors to never have to worry about finding an upgrade.

The only thing that is self-evident is your shortsightedness.

Um...okay.... (shrug)

That pretty much describes me...... :sorry:

Me too, Casey. But I think I have crested and I'm starting to level out. :)

Translation: I'm broke.

Don't worry. Me too.

:frustrated:

It's ridiculous.

When did this become a pressing thread? My, some people sure are sensative tonight.

Don't worry. Me too.

No.

Translation: I came to my damn senses, so why should I pay a premium for a 9.8 Bronze X-Men book when a carefully chosen 9.6 is just as good or better in some cases.

I agree that sometimes there isn't a difference but if I could afford it I would buy the highest grade of every book that I can afford. Not because of value but because I love something old in nice shape.

BTW I was kidding about the broke part...although I did go broke when I first got into the hobby.

Lesson learned.

R.

It's ridiculous.

When did this become a pressing thread? My, some people sure are sensative tonight.

Not sensitive...just took the last part of your post as a bit of an unnecessary poke.

It's ridiculous.

Not sensitive...just took the last part of your post as a bit of an unnecessary poke.

Poke at who? Myself? I have books Pressed. Modern, Silver, Bronze, even GA. I think I'm pretty clear about that in my selling threads if the work has been done.

I think the "self-evident" comment was a little ambiguous, and left some room for...personal interpretation. :boo:

Don't worry. Me too.

No.

Translation: I came to my damn senses, so why should I pay a premium for a 9.8 Bronze X-Men book when a carefully chosen 9.6 is just as good or better in some cases.

Yep. In fact for me, I realized that I will never have "the best high grade Marvel (or DC)" collection. And you know what? I'd be disappointed if I spent my whole life building the best "collection" and did so at basically the exclusion of all else. Which is what I would think it would take today... reliance on having the artificial numbers created by the best CGC grade (which is just a subjective number assigned to it).

Instead, I'd rather have a nice collection that I enjoy.