• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Capt.Comics Det. #163 for sale ad

19 posts in this topic

That Det. 163 on Capt. Comics for sale page, is eerily remindant of the guy in Pennsylvania that was "forced" to rob a bank and had a bomb around his neck. He was in a standoff with police, begging for help, and he got blown up.

No arrest was ever made as far as I know. He was a pizza delivery guy and said that someone kidnapped him, put a bomb around his neck with a lock that if opened, would set the bomb off.

I would really like to know if he was "in" on it and got tricked by his accomplices, or if he was truly a kidnap victim.

Anyone from Pa. know the outcome of the investigation? Any rumors.

dont remember the story, sorry

:o

I would have thought that everyone above age 16 would know about that story. It was in the news for three weeks if not more.

Yep. I watch the news, not "reality TV" or American Idol. :)

To each his own I guess.

On a side note to that: Mark Twain once said that if the world ended today, he wanted to be in Cincinnati, because they won't know it for 10 weeks. :)

That Det. 163 on Capt. Comics for sale page, is eerily remindant of the guy in Pennsylvania that was "forced" to rob a bank and had a bomb around his neck. He was in a standoff with police, begging for help, and he got blown up.

No arrest was ever made as far as I know. He was a pizza delivery guy and said that someone kidnapped him, put a bomb around his neck with a lock that if opened, would set the bomb off.

I would really like to know if he was "in" on it and got tricked by his accomplices, or if he was truly a kidnap victim.

Anyone from Pa. know the outcome of the investigation? Any rumors.

i'm too lazy to provide a link but there was definitely a story saying the police concluded he was in on it.

he was found out to be an accomplice over a botched robbery. :screwy:

Where did you see that? All I've ever read is that they arrested those responsible, but the pizza guy may or not may have been directly involved.

i'm too lazy to provide a link but there was definitely a story saying the police concluded he was in on it.

Of course they did, as the family of the poor guy they handcuffed and let sit (for almost an hour) before the FBI called the bomb squad, are suing the police for a ton of money.

But we're referring to DIRECT PROOF of his involvement, which I don't believe exists.

got google? :screwy:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17190943/

Pizza collar-bomb case solved, official says

Source: Details when indictments come down, probably in March

updated 3:23 p.m. PT, Fri., Feb. 16, 2007

PITTSBURGH - Federal authorities have figured out how a pizza deliveryman wound up in the middle of a bizarre bank robbery scheme that ended with a bomb around his neck exploding, and the identities of the plotters, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press.

Brian Wells, 46, robbed a suburban Erie bank on Aug. 28, 2003, with the bomb attached to his neck and then was killed when it exploded as he sat handcuffed in a parking lot while police waited for a bomb squad.

No one was charged as authorities struggled to determine who was behind the plot and whether Wells was an innocent victim or willing participant.

Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

But the case has been solved and indictments are expected, likely by next month, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because U.S. Attorney Mary Beth Buchanan was to make an official announcement at a Friday afternoon news conference.

The law enforcement official told the AP that Buchanan would not disclose what the investigators concluded, but would say that the government is confident they know how and why Wells died.

'We know all the details'

"The government knows what happened the day of the incident. We know all the details that led up to the death of Brian Wells and all the parties involved," the official said.

Investigators from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the FBI and Pennsylvania State Police traveled coast to coast to interview witnesses and chase down leads, the official said.

Buchanan met for about three hours Friday with federal investigators about the evidence compiled so far.

Buchanan did not immediately return calls for comment after the meeting, but earlier Friday said she called it because, "In more complicated cases, I like to meet personally with the law enforcement agencies to discuss the case and, in many cases, review the evidence myself."

Wells told police before he died that he had been accosted by gunmen who locked the bomb on his neck and forced him to rob the bank when he went to deliver a pizza to a TV tower on a dead-end road.

Wells' family has said they believe he was just a victim, and have criticized the pace of the investigation.

Wells' brother, John Wells, 44, of Phoenix, said the family won't be happy until justice is meted out.

"The family will be satisfied when everybody is held to account for their actions that day," Wells said. "We want everybody to take responsibility for what they did before and after this happened."

Woman questioned

An attorney, Lawrence D'Ambrosio, has said the FBI has repeatedly interviewed his client about Wells' death. D'Ambrosio did not immediately return a message left at his office Friday.

The client, Marjorie Diehl-Armstrong, is serving seven to 20 years in state prison for pleading guilty but mentally ill to killing her boyfriend, James Roden, in 2003.

Roden's killing led police to question Diehl-Armstrong in the Wells case because Roden's body was found in the freezer of a man named William Rothstein, who has since died. Rothstein's house was near the TV tower.

Buchanan said the investigation has been complicated by the deaths of at least two witnesses. She would not say if Rothstein, who died of cancer in July 2004, was one of those witnesses.

Buchanan plans to meet once more with investigators to discuss evidence, witness availability and other logistical details before indictments are sought. The grand jury is not expected to hear the government's presentment — a formal detailing of the evidence — until next month, the law enforcement official said.

Of course they did, as the family of the poor guy they handcuffed and let sit (for almost an hour) before the FBI called the bomb squad, are suing the police for a ton of money.

But we're referring to DIRECT PROOF of his involvement, which I don't believe exists.

He was in on the plot, but was double-crossed.

BTW, guys, this took five seconds to find. Google is your friend. doh!

I did a google search and came up with several sites related to this story. Here is a link that I believe is from Australia, of all places, that seems to indicate the deceased man was initially in on it, but when he found out the bomb was real, had to be forced at gun point (strange, as he has a bomb on his neck at this point), to go rob the bank.

This story on the link also indicates that one man has already pled guilty and been sentenced and a female mastermind of this episode, was trying to get the money from the bank, to hire a hitman against another man.

Wow. What a complicated network of idi0ts.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24749762-401,00.html

And yes. Of course the family of the deceased is suing.

I totally forgot my initial reason for posting this thread in the first place.

Does anyone recall an imaginary or real story whereupon a person had a bomb around their neck, that occurred before Detective Comics #163, around 1950.

I just wonder if Det. 63 is the first time this type of scenario ever occurred.

dont remember the story, sorry

Me either. I avoid the news like the plague.

:o How do you know what is happening in the world? I mean, besides finding out from this forum :)

I don't want to know. Ignorance is bliss in that regard.