• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wheres the next run up in silver age?

49 posts in this topic

Supply does not drive demand, except in speculative (or post-apocalyptic) environments.

I can cite from personal example instances where hard to find in hard grade books drive up demand, simply because of the scarcity factor. People want it more because they know that if they don't buy it, there will be 10 people out there who will, and you may never see the same book in comparable shape again.

And its not speculation; its reality. The census doesn't dictate demand, it reinforces long held experience that certain books just aren't available in certain grades.

Actually, I believe that lack of supply can also drive down demand on books. Just look at some of the really hard to find Pre-superhero GA books. These books are so tough to find in grade that the lack of turnover in the marketplace results in only minimal increases in guide. This lack of increase in prices in turn results in lower demand for the books.

So yes, scarcity does usually drive up demand and prices on books as long as there are still enough copies to create turnover and perpetuate a market. Extreme scarcity, however, can result in stagnant turnover, stagnant prices, and low subsequent demand for a book.

Let's see:

You take a book that has low census numbers like a JIM.

Everyone buys them up because they are scarce,then submits them and now the census numbers are average or higher,so demand drops.Sounds like the starting point of a strategy.

Green Lantern has been mentioned a couple of times on this and the "Silver Age Sleepers" thread. I think that's probably correct:

GL had 8 issues + 3 Showcase appearances all before FF #1 ever hit the stands.

As far as valuations, you have the first alien GL (#6) and the first Sinestro (#7) booking at around $200 in Very Fine; while you have to get all the way up to FF #21 to get a similar bargain on an early FF. Not saying the Silver Age GL is as important as FF, but the degree of the gap in Overstreet prices is pretty startling.

Of the Big 3 DC Silver Age Revivals, GL has the most legs, because

- unlike Silver JLA, GL has top-notch art by Gil Kane

- unlike Silver Flash which started at #105, you can collect a complete Silver Age Green Lantern series from #1 to #89. Only #1 is likely to really set you back significantly.

Lots of DC Universe mythology was introduced in GL: the Guardians, GL Corps, Krona and the seeds of Crisis. (Krona figures prominently in JLA/Avengers). The Flash series had the big key Earth 1/ Earth 2 issues, but your average GL issue is a much better read and has much more impact on today's DCU.

Finally, if rumors are true about DC rehabilitating Hal Jordan, you might have renewed interest in his original series. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Of the Big 3 DC Silver Age Revivals, GL has the most legs, because

- unlike Silver JLA, GL has top-notch art by Gil Kane

- unlike Silver Flash which started at #105, you can collect a complete Silver Age Green Lantern series from #1 to #89. Only #1 is likely to really set you back significantly.

As mentioned in the Showcase 4/Brave and Bold 28 thread I see 28 showing significant growth. It is VERY undervalued at $7500 for 9.4. I'll take 5 at that price please crazy.gif

I'd also go with JLA 1-20. It's always been a solid title, has the cartoon series keeping it out there, and team titles attract interest because of the variety of characters being combined vs. going solo IMO.

Oh, I'm a big fan of the JLA, it's just that compared to Gil Kane's GL or Infantino's Flash, the Sekowsky/Sachs art in the first 40 or so JLAs is a little, uh, primitive.

'Course the early Kirby/Ayers and Kirby/Stone FF looks kind of scratchy in retrospect as well. (Kirby/Sinnott ruled, though!)

Oh, I'm a big fan of the JLA, it's just that compared to Gil Kane's GL or Infantino's Flash, the Sekowsky/Sachs art in the first 40 or so JLAs is a little, uh, primitive.

'Course the early Kirby/Ayers and Kirby/Stone FF looks kind of scratchy in retrospect as well. (Kirby/Sinnott ruled, though!)

I don't disagree at all with you on the DC art. My choice was based on thread topic vs. quality of the artists involved for each. flowerred.gif