• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will you still buy moderns when the standard cover price becomes $3.99?

79 posts in this topic

What independents are they dropping?

A lot of the independents I carry sell more than some Marvel and DC books, stuff like Star Trek, GI JOE, Transformers, Walking Dead, Invincible, even stuff like from Heresy Comics or other Image titles.

Things like Hellblazer and Doctor Doom Masters of evil sell virtually none and I have stopped ordering some DC and Marvel titles with no sales history in my store.

I'm new to comics and I cant believe the prices. I didn't have to suffer the inflation, but it makes getting all the comics I want to read near impossible.

I too can only pick up a handful every month as 2 comics alone are the same price as a meal (college student for the loss)

I'm new to comics and I cant believe the prices. I didn't have to suffer the inflation, but it makes getting all the comics I want to read near impossible.

I too can only pick up a handful every month as 2 comics alone are the same price as a meal (college student for the loss)

Just wait a few months and most of the drek becomes buyable for $1-$2 as back issues. As long as you don't mind being about six months behind the storylines, you can pick up most new comics at a fraction of cover once they become back issues.

This doesn't really apply to a few titles whose back issues end up going up in value (e.g. The Goon), but is definitely a general rule when dealing with Marvel and DC.

Best way to actually hurt Marvel & DC directly is to buy only a handful of titles per month AT BEST and not buy any of the event books or their tie ins, one shots, gimmicky variants and anything priced higher than others in their line.

It'd only work if everybody banded together to put forth such an effort, though.

Exactly. Don't buy the crossover event spin-off 5 issue mini series cr@p. :sumo:

Best way to actually hurt Marvel & DC directly is to buy only a handful of titles per month AT BEST and not buy any of the event books or their tie ins, one shots, gimmicky variants and anything priced higher than others in their line.

It'd only work if everybody banded together to put forth such an effort, though.

Exactly. Don't buy the crossover event spin-off 5 issue mini series cr@p. :sumo:

Speaking of, when is DC's next Crisis event?

lol

-slym

Speaking of, when is DC's next Crisis event?

lol

-slym

At the next stockholder's meeting, entitled, "HOLY COW, BATMAN, WE'RE IN A FINANCIAL CRISIS!"

I only buy 5 regular modern titles each month from my LCS and 2 of those (Ultimate FF and Ultimate X-Men) have either ended or will end with the next issue. So that only leaves me with 3 plus an occasional pickup here and there. So yeah, I'll probably pay the $3.99 although I won't like it.

I have cut back drastically on the titles that I get monthly and it all go up to 3.99 I would cut back more. I now get

Marvel:

Iron Man

New Avengers

Uncanny X-Men

X-men Legacy

DC

Flash

GL

GL Corps

Blue Beetle (recently cancelled by publisher)

Indies:

GI Joe

Femforce

Is it any wonder why there are less comics produced now?

It's interesting that the publishers are making just as much money as they were before, but they are selling fewer copies. That tells me that people are spending the same amount on comics each month, but due to price increases, the money isn't going as far as it was.

If you think about it, that probably means more money for the publishers in the long run. Books get cancelled, which means they don't have to pay the creators. But they're getting more money for the books that do sell.

Sucks for us, but in the long run, it'll help make more money for the publishers.

DMZ was getting good with the last arc. The stand alone issue that just came out was pretty boring.

I find that I'm still buying the same amount of books. All $3.99 books that I've bought so far have had extra pages (30 pages or more). For me, that's acceptable.

I did buy Wolverine Weapon X at $3.99. That felt like a rip-off because it was 22 pages and then a bunch of strike file pages. THAT's garbage. If that title is $3.99 on out, I'll drop it.

Also bought Irreedeemable for $3.99. 23 pages. Not sure if I'll keep buying it at $3.99 if it stays there.

There aren't too many 20-22 page books that I'll pay $3.99 for consistently.

I decided to cut back on well over half of my new comic book titles last Christmas.

It's inevitable that we'll see a price hike to $3-99 sooner or later, and so I decided to make the adjustment sooner rather than bury my head in the sand. I felt that I'd made the right decision and could live with the reduction in number of titles purchased, deliberately large enough to offset any overall gain possible from this higher cover price, whenever it's implemented.

However, in addition to this.....

About a week or so later, Diamond UK posted that there was going to be a dramatic import price increase due to the fall in value of sterling. So this reinforced my belief that I'd made the right decision at the right time.

Earlier this year, Diamond UK tried on a further price hike of about 15% (if I remember the value correctly) even though sterling hadn't fluctuated anywhere near enough to provide a justification for this, and I personally thought that their argument was utter nonsense. UK retailers revolted and the increase was postponed and so is still hanging over us, which isn't particularly much use, to say the least. Nonetheless, this tactic further reinforced my belief that I'd made the right move, that the decisions made by comic book companies and distributors (like the triple whammy I've just discussed) are creating an inevitable downward spiral that I'm beginning to find very tedious and that I'm relieved to be increasingly detached from.

I'm now down to my core books, mainly by Geoff Johns and Ed Brubaker, and a few Grant Morrison and Robert Kirkman- written books, and I'm perfectly happy. The ones that I might, in future, pay more for. But, we'll see.

I decided to cut back on well over half of my new comic book titles last Christmas.

It's inevitable that we'll see a price hike to $3-99 sooner or later, and so I decided to make the adjustment sooner rather than bury my head in the sand. I felt that I'd made the right decision and could live with the reduction in number of titles purchased, deliberately large enough to offset any overall gain possible from this higher cover price, whenever it's implemented.

However, in addition to this.....

About a week or so later, Diamond UK posted that there was going to be a dramatic import price increase due to the fall in value of sterling. So this reinforced my belief that I'd made the right decision at the right time.

Earlier this year, Diamond UK tried on a further price hike of about 15% (if I remember the value correctly) even though sterling hadn't fluctuated anywhere near enough to provide a justification for this, and I personally thought that their argument was utter nonsense. UK retailers revolted and the increase was postponed and so is still hanging over us, which isn't particularly much use, to say the least. Nonetheless, this tactic further reinforced my belief that I'd made the right move, that the decisions made by comic book companies and distributors (like the triple whammy I've just discussed) are creating an inevitable downward spiral that I'm beginning to find very tedious and that I'm relieved to be increasingly detached from.

I'm now down to my core books, mainly by Geoff Johns and Ed Brubaker, and a few Grant Morrison and Robert Kirkman- written books, and I'm perfectly happy. The ones that I might, in future, pay more for. But, we'll see.

I agree with every word Ken (thumbs u

I'm getting really picky with my moderns, too. Any book that doesn't have good writing and artwork is getting dumped. The combos are what's keeping me around. I guess that bodes badly for new titles trying to break through if they don't grab me. If I'm not alone, this could signal a massive dump for the companies and for the universes to eventually get really stale as only the top notch and popular stuff is going to make it with people being afraid to remain creative and take risks.