• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will you still buy moderns when the standard cover price becomes $3.99?

79 posts in this topic

When prices were $2.25 and $2.50 just a few years ago for moderns, I bought a lot of stuff off the rack. But now at $2.99, I buy much less and at $3.99, I'll probably stop buying moderns and just stick with trades.

Would you stop buying moderns if cover prices get to $3.99 for a regular sized book? At what price would you decide it's too much to pay for a modern comic?

I haven't bought a new comic in over 3 years. Not only were prices high then (for the time) but the stuff I bought was just plain bad. I am (despite how much you may see me talk about VALIANT and Rai especially) a rabid X-Men fan, and I was so put off by what Marvel was shoveling to us for the past few, combined with $2.99 prices, that I quit new stuff cold turkey.

I thought I could get it all later for cheap, but jeez... those later issues now go for good coin on eBay.

-slym (started buying comics when they were 60¢)

I quit collecting moderns about 10 years ago. Last year I started looking around to buy stuff I had missed over the years. It's amazing the price you can pick up 95% of the stuff at. I've put together a really good run of stuff for between .50 to .75 each. Low end, i'm picking stuff up for a dime a book, high end at $1.50. By picking it up after publication, you also avoid a ton of junk that looked interesting when it showed up brand new.

But no, I will not be paying $3.99 for a new comic.

I have cut my modern titles down drastically. I was collecting around 50 titles a month now I am down to ASM, New Avengers, DD, Jonah Hex, Conan, Usagi Yojimbo, Punisher Dark Reign, Tec, Batman, I think that is it. To be honest I even considered getting rid of Batman, Tec, ASM and Avengers but I decided to give them a few more months.

Here is the reasons why I dropped so many titles

1. The writing and artwork is getting horrible. Some is good but a lot of it SUCKS!!

2. Big events. I am not buying 20 extra titles just so I can follow the storylines from the books I normally collect.

3. Price increase

4. Wayyyyy too many pages of ads now. The storys are getting shorter but yet the books are getting bigger.

5. Rather spend the money on SA and BA books that I know is good.

6. economy is just getting horrible.

7. Shipping cost. I live in a rural area and have to get my comics shipped in. Due to the weight difference in the books I now buy I almost save enough in shipping cost to pay for my current tiltles.

I'd continue with Batman, Detective, and Daredevil since they are the core of my modern collection. Probably keep Jonah Hex also since it's so damn good. If money becomes an issue (and it almost always is, especially in this economy), I would drop the weaker books from the herd.

I do keep up with a few titles via trades though - Fables, 100 Bullets (which is ending soon), Walking Dead, and The Goon. All good reads that deserve to be on a bookshelf.

I personally only buy one book (WD)...so a higher price wont deter me

I think the bigger issue is that Marvel is the one pushing for $3.99 right now. DC and some other publishers seem to be holding the line at $2.99. Image looks like they are moving towards $3.50 as the new standard, which I think is the right call. Marvel is just getting way too ambitious with the price hike. In 2 or 3 years from now, yeah, that'll be the norm, but right now it doesn't make sense with inflation so stagnant.

Even if books are $3.99 the trades will be that much per issue. It isn't like they give them to you at $2 per issue or anything. I think that is a moot point.

That's why it's good to buy the trades at a discount from Amazon or InStockTrades.com.

I will buy $3.99 books, yes, but only a few books at that. Marvel is the biggest offender by far, so they are first on the chopping block. The rest I will wait out either discounted runs or via trades. The wait is a real pain, though. I really wanted to read the G.I. Joe Origins book now, but it's at $3.99 and I can't really see it justify that entry price point.

I forsee a ton of canceled books in a year or two.