• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does PQ do to the CGC grade?

14 posts in this topic

There's probably a thread on this already, so before people point me to the search feature, I'll confess that I am lazy today.

Anyhow, does anyone have insight into the impact of PQ on the CGC grade? I have some white paged golden aged books that graded higher than expected - perhaps bumped by the PQ(?).

I've also heard that tan pages can receive an 8.5 maximum, slightly brittle much lower maximum and brittle way lower still. But I do not have any idea about the 'mid range' PQ designations like CR-OW or OW. Do these average PQ designations have any impact on grades?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Good question,many times I think it depends on the condition of the book. If an otherwise HG book has poor PQ it can obviously affect the grade. But it's hard to determine on a mid grade book what role PQ played, if at all unless it is badly tanned or brittle.

All I know is CGC will hammer a book for brittle pages(as they should). I just wish they were more specific about was exactly HOW brittle the pages are, or rather where they are brittle. Is the entire interior brittle, or is it more isolated to the outer edges or spine? Because to me it is important to know if the paper is shot throughout, or more a result from overhang, or exposure from a split spine. Or if the first few outer wraps are brittle and the rest are less so the father you go inward.

I think the term brittle pages just covers to much ground and can be misleading sometimes because it is such a kiss of death for a book that is labeled as having them.

Interesting comments. Since the interior pages cannot be seen in the slab, more commentary sounds justified.

I've seen some notes on labels regarding tears or tape on interior pages, but PQ designations sometimes do not give the best guidance - "slightly brittle pages" is less informative than "1st and second wrap slightly brittle at the right edge, otherwise Cream pages" etc. Esp. for golden aged books, it would be handy.

I've also heard that tan pages can receive an 8.5 maximum

That is 100% correct.

Fascinating. Thanks for posting that. The only book I've ever seen with three grades on the label - how unique.

I asked CGC directly if there is a maximum grade a book with "slightly brittle" pages could receive, and they said "it depends on the book" :P Which somehow I don't think is completely true.

Seriously, I think it's very simple - If you view OW pages as neutral to the structural grade, with W pages getting a bump and COW taking a hit.

Tan? fuhgetaboutit :sumo:

Sounds simple, until you try to figure out where the line between off-white and cream is, or when cream turns into light tan, or when tan is brittle.

Seriously, I think it's very simple - If you view OW pages as neutral to the structural grade, with W pages getting a bump and COW taking a hit.

Tan? fuhgetaboutit :sumo:

Sounds simple, until you try to figure out where the line between off-white and cream is, or when cream turns into light tan, or when tan is brittle.

Elementary, my dear Watson. :grin:

I've had a dealer insist that his copies of one SA collection were vf and vf+, while they had brown tanning shadows all over. I refused to buy for that reason, otherwise, they were pretty nice silver age collection. My understanding, according to overstreet grading guide, is they should be no better than 5.0 or 6.0 I think it was.

There's also a picture of avengers 4 in the guide that looks like a vf that got a 5.0 or so(can't seem to find it right now).

I'm curious about this too as I have a book that looks at least an 8.0 but it has "slightly brittle" pages and is graded 6.0

Sounds about right - 2 full points for semi-severe PQ :sumo: