• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See Those Funny Animal Books!
2 2

1,993 posts in this topic

AnimalFair1_zps58ae6251.jpg

I want that!

I'm not 100% sure I even own it anymore. If I do, I think we could work out a trade or something. I do still need a Jumbo 11.

AnimalFair1_zps58ae6251.jpg

I want that!

I'm not 100% sure I even own it anymore. If I do, I think we could work out a trade or something. I do still need a Jumbo 11.

I think I'd owe you a lot more than a measly little Jumbo 11.

animal26.jpg

If I was made of money, I would love to get a Pogo run together. I can barely afford what I do collect though; so, I guess I will just have covet what you post!

If you're not too picky on condition, Pogo and Animal Comics are relatively affordable and easy to find. Mind you, in the case of the early 40's issues "relative" is a key word. But I think Animal Comics in general may have set some sort of record for how LITTLE the price has gone up the past few decades on a 40's book with a big name Artist/ Character combo on it.

If you're not too picky on condition, Pogo and Animal Comics are relatively affordable and easy to find. Mind you, in the case of the early 40's issues "relative" is a key word. But I think Animal Comics in general may have set some sort of record for how LITTLE the price has gone up the past few decades on a 40's book with a big name Artist/ Character combo on it.

True! People look at you sideways if you collect anything but superhero, sci-fi, and horror titles. I have to admit, I'm not immune to the effects. For example, a month or two ago, the Mile High Church copy of the Little Orphan Annie Feature Book sold in one of the Heritage auctions. It was a gorgeous, early example from that pedigree. Twenty years ago, I might have bid, but I stayed away like everyone else. To make a long story short, it sold for peanuts.

"The sentiment which lurks more or less in all animate nature--that of not desiring the undesired of others--was lively as a passion in the supersubtle, epicurean heart of [the CGC boardies]." -Thos. Hardy

For example, a month or two ago, the Mile High Church copy of the Little Orphan Annie Feature Book sold in one of the Heritage auctions. It was a gorgeous, early example from that pedigree. Twenty years ago, I might have bid, but I stayed away like everyone else. To make a long story short, it sold for peanuts.

:banana: Not exactly peanuts but it did go to a good home where it's history is appreciated.

animal26.jpg

If I was made of money, I would love to get a Pogo run together. I can barely afford what I do collect though; so, I guess I will just have covet what you post!

Absolutely true. There was a time when Kelly, from a collectibility standpoint, was considered near the pinnacle of artists. Over time the number of collectors of Kelly in general, and Pogo in particular, has fallen way off. So the books are available and the prices are definitely negotiable. Now is a great time to be collecting them.

For example, a month or two ago, the Mile High Church copy of the Little Orphan Annie Feature Book sold in one of the Heritage auctions. It was a gorgeous, early example from that pedigree. Twenty years ago, I might have bid, but I stayed away like everyone else. To make a long story short, it sold for peanuts.

:banana: Not exactly peanuts but it did go to a good home where it's history is appreciated.

WOOT!