• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See Those Funny Animal Books!
2 2

1,993 posts in this topic

Hey, I'll ask again the experts here. Anyone know the first comic appearance of the following

Yosemite Sam

Tweety and Sylvester

Road Runner and Coyote (I think this is the RR Four Color but I don't know if he showed up earlier in LTMM)

Other minor characters

Michigan P Frog

Marvin the Martian

Foghorn

OK, you get the theme I think. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, I'll ask again the experts here. Anyone know the first comic appearance of the following

Yosemite Sam

Tweety and Sylvester

Road Runner and Coyote (I think this is the RR Four Color but I don't know if he showed up earlier in LTMM)

Other minor characters

Michigan P Frog

Marvin the Martian

Foghorn

OK, you get the theme I think. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I own one of them ... Four Color 406 - 1st appearance of Tweety and Sylvester

also recognized by OS and CGC as Tweety and Sylvester #1

- Hank

FC406.jpg

For Jack, a couple of nose / snout / muzzle abuse covers including even a snout bondage cover :blush: -

Snout bondage!

I wouldn't worry about these though. Seems more like snouts at play than snout abuse. There's a fine line.

Jack

74991.jpg

74992.jpg

Certainly that is Tweety and Sylvester #1 but Sylvester has appeared prior and as early as FC 271 on the cover. Wikipedia only discusses the comics with Sylvester on the title showing 406 as his first comic. Technically true but not his first appearance which in comcland is all important. Still the #1 is such a good cover of both characters and a 9.4 is pretty awesome.

Anyway, His first cartoon was in 1945 Life with Feathers where the cat is unnamed and the bird isn't Tweety. Tweety Pie is probably the first real appearance of both in 1947 but Tweety fist showed in a 1942 cartoon. I can't remember if he was named but he did utter his infamous line, so it clearly is Tweety.

The other interesting thing about many of these funny animal comics is that the first appearances are so unknown and uncared about. The general population might put Tweety and Sylvester or Yosemite Sam as in the top 50 most recognized cartoon figures but in comic land, they get no respect. Disney has all the minor characters broken out: Beagle boys, Gladstone, Gyro etc. Overstreet can breakout Archie Pureheart, Sabrina the Witch, or Little Max and many others. Yet it forgets about the Warner Brother cartoon characters???

Seems weird that's all.

Add Tazmanian Devil, Speedy Gonzales, Granny, and the Orange Monster to the mix of first appearances I'd be interested in.

Four Color funny animals:

FC303.jpg

... a couple of cartoon related features -

That #1008 looks like a Dr. Seuss Road Runner cover.

In one post you pegged 2 of Ellens favorite cartoon shows. I think you better watch out if you come to Chicago this year, she just might whack you on the knee and take your funny books.

:eek:

In one post you pegged 2 of Ellens favorite cartoon shows. I think you better watch out if you come to Chicago this year, she just might whack you on the knee and take your funny books.

I'll wear my shin guards (thumbs u

You've made my day. I have the same comic book taste as a 6 (?) year old :banana:

I'll wear my shin guards (thumbs u

FOILED!

I was thinking of trying that if I ever got to Chicago.

Now I'd have to try a sharp blow to the snout.

Jack