• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics # 1 [6.0] Unrestored up up and away!

1,020 posts in this topic

I hope the next Action 1 that comes up on the auction block has a much higher bid increment which I think of course should depend upon what the current bid price is and fall into a certain % of the current price category. I think the possibility of Rick winning the Action 1 would have been greater if the bid increments were more like $5000+ which is what I've seen in auctions where the bidding gets up in the few hundred thousand dollar range. Now of course there's also the likelihood that regardless of what the bid increment was or what Rick's top all bid was, he was just not going to win it. For all we know, the winner was willing to take the bidding to the moon. In any event, congrats to the new owner.

With respect Dizz, I have no idea why the auctioneer shouldn't go to small increments - it's clearly in the favour of getting a hgher price. Have you ever been to a real estate auction? They can get down to $100 increments at the end. Why? Because the auctioneer knows that one or more of the bidders is getting near (or past) the limit they arrived with, but emotional investment will push them a bit higher.

And we'll never know how much the winner was prepared to pay. But we do know how much the underbidder was prepared to pay. And that's what the auction house is aiming for - to max out the underbidder.

I hope the next Action 1 that comes up on the auction block has a much higher bid increment which I think of course should depend upon what the current bid price is and fall into a certain % of the current price category. I think the possibility of Rick winning the Action 1 would have been greater if the bid increments were more like $5000+ which is what I've seen in auctions where the bidding gets up in the few hundred thousand dollar range. Now of course there's also the likelihood that regardless of what the bid increment was or what Rick's top all bid was, he was just not going to win it. For all we know, the winner was willing to take the bidding to the moon. In any event, congrats to the new owner.

With respect Dizz, I have no idea why the auctioneer shouldn't go to small increments - it's clearly in the favour of getting a hgher price. Have you ever been to a real estate auction? They can get down to $100 increments at the end. Why? Because the auctioneer knows that one or more of the bidders is getting near (or past) the limit they arrived with, but emotional investment will push them a bit higher.

And we'll never know how much the winner was prepared to pay. But we do know how much the underbidder was prepared to pay. And that's what the auction house is aiming for - to max out the underbidder.

What we do know is that JD is going to be selling the book to a private collector so the price is obviously higher than 6.0.

Having said that, I am quite sure that you will also get different auction results with different auction houses.

Would the book have garnered more elsewhere? Maybe. Many potential bidders have preferences as to who they will and will not deal with.

Will one copy being taken off the market make following copies cheaper? Maybe. You've now lost a high end bidder and you can't argue that nobody knew about this book. It was advertised around the globe.

It is also conversely possible that another Action #1 could increase popularity due to larger exposure...that remains to be seen but that has not helped Marvel #1. Numerous copies on the market seems to have made it's price plateau lately....not because the book is less popular I don't think as it is still a grail book to many...but simply because of the supply increase.

Whatever happens it's been an incredible time to be an observer as these gorgeous books come out of the woodwork.

R.

What we do know is that JD is going to be selling the book to a private collector so the price is obviously higher than 6.0.

Having said that, I am quite sure that you will also get different auction results with different auction houses.

Would the book have garnered more elsewhere? Maybe. Many potential bidders have preferences as to who they will and will not deal with.

Will one copy being taken off the market make following copies cheaper? Maybe. You've now lost a high end bidder and you can't argue that nobody knew about this book. It was advertised around the globe.

It is also conversely possible that another Action #1 could increase popularity due to larger exposure...that remains to be seen but that has not helped Marvel #1. Numerous copies on the market seems to have made it's price plateau lately....not because the book is less popular I don't think as it is still a grail book to many...but simply because of the supply increase.

Whatever happens it's been an incredible time to be an observer as these gorgeous books come out of the woodwork.

R.

The winning bidder may be a speculator who would bid equally hard on another similar copy to hedge their bet.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Strange that JD's client didn't just bid on the book in the auction, rather than paying an unnecessary mark-up.

Jeff it's possible that anonymity is more important than the money.

(thumbs u

I known a few people I've dealt with that were in the same boat.

Strange that JD's client didn't just bid on the book in the auction, rather than paying an unnecessary mark-up.

(thumbs u

But who would know other than CC?

(thumbs u

But who would know other than CC?

I had a person a few years ago that would buy from me only. They didn't care where or what was available...it's a matter of building a relationship and trust. Even if it were only one other person that would know it doesn't matter. Sometimes there is loyalty involved that is not valued with money.

(shrug)

For most of us money is a relevant part of the equation. For some it isn't.

maybe no markup? John is just bidding FOR the good customer as a favor in their long relationship. That happens all the time.

Possible but I doubt it.

Rick, do you have any sense of what the sales price would have been if you had not been in the race? In other words, what do you think the next highest bid was? To me, this is an important question when evaluating the current FMV for an Action 1.

If I hadn't known Rick was bidding with a max greater than mine _ I would have bid $305k

Rick, do you have any sense of what the sales price would have been if you had not been in the race? In other words, what do you think the next highest bid was? To me, this is an important question when evaluating the current FMV for an Action 1.

If I hadn't known Rick was bidding with a max greater than mine _ I would have bid $305k

george, you already have all the best toys, leave some for the rest of us :baiting:

george, you already have all the best toys, leave some for the rest of us :baiting:

On an Action #1 your pockets are deeper than mime.

The auction has been getting amazing coverage in the European media that I follow. It must have been more than a coincidence that every tv news station that I watched today had a piece about the sale. Likewise, many major papers have had articles with pictures and references to comicconnect.com. What a fantastic PR boost for our little hobby.

just checked, upto $280K now

It will all come down to the last 2 minutes ( always does ), and I still stick to my $650k+ final hammer price estimate...... :whatev:

:roflmao:

Have the rules of the Boards suddenly changed, Tim? It used to be, in the old days, you could express your opinion. There's one rule around here that apparently hasn't changed though..........any clown with a computer and internet access can post here meh

The book, for whatever reason, did not seem "hot". It did not perform like a "hot" book, to my suprise. It performed like it "should have", not "could have".......once again, if t's OK with you Tim, IMO

Of course you and everyone else can express their opinions, Steve. By the same token, I and everyone else can hold you accountable for those opinions. Going out on a limb is great when it turns out you're right, and you would've enjoyed lots of kudos if you'd been right, so if the limb broke from under you, you should expect to suffer a few bumps and bruises as a result.

Big article in the local paper on the Action 1 sale this morning. I think that is fantastic! Color picture and all. Course, it means the local stash of comics out there may have just gotten mor expensive

lol

Seriously though, instead of the discussion how some here think the book underperformed we should be celebrating this milestone. Heck this is not even a high grade copy and it went for a titanic sum of money.

Maybe some of us have gotten too jaded by the record sales that seem to have been flooing in over the past year. But all of those were for super high grade comics.

From my perspecitve, having owned two unrestored Action 1's over the years, it is staggering how much this sold for. I remember selling one at "top of market" back in 1995. That "top" is less than the bottom now for any grade copy

Big article in the local paper on the Action 1 sale this morning. I think that is fantastic! Color picture and all. Course, it means the local stash of comics out there may have just gotten mor expensive

lol

Yup, even made it into the English language papers here in HK, with the color picture.

Seriously though, instead of the discussion how some here think the book underperformed we should be celebrating this milestone. Heck this is not even a high grade copy and it went for a titanic sum of money.

Maybe some of us have gotten too jaded by the record sales that seem to have been flooing in over the past year. But all of those were for super high grade comics.

From my perspecitve, having owned two unrestored Action 1's over the years, it is staggering how much this sold for. I remember selling one at "top of market" back in 1995. That "top" is less than the bottom now for any grade copy

(worship)

UP, UP, AND AWAY FOR AN ACTION 1!!!! NO SURPRISE HERE, IT IS THE HOLY GRAIL OF THE HOBBY AND ALWAYS WILL BE!!!!

Stop spreading all this misinformation. You know damn well that it's Borock's ponytail.