• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics # 1 [6.0] Unrestored up up and away!

1,020 posts in this topic

I think the Mile high flash went for around 270k...I know im close,dont remember the exact amount.J.p paid Geppi 350k for the Pay copy of Marvel 1 many moons ago.This is actually the record[though J.P was on steroids with this book pricewise at the time or anytime for that matter.

Hey, I'll say it again....MC #1 is a great book and the Pay copy was considered the nicest copy next to the MH (which is not for sale). There have been a few MC #1 books floating around which is a shame but it is ground zero for a Marvel/Timely collector.

R.

Agreed.Great book and my favorite cover.

Ive owned 2 copies myself

It is probably the only attainible copy of the BIG 3 unrestored right now

I would say Marvel 1 unrestored is the "most" attainable of the big 3...but, at least 3 unrestored action 1 (the 1.8 on mastro, the 2.0 on clink and a 4.5 in a private sale) and at least 4 unrestored tec 27's (my 3.0, an unrestored vg in a private sale, metro's 6.0 and the brokered 7.0) have changed hands in the last year or so (thumbs u

I think the Mile high flash went for around 270k...I know im close,dont remember the exact amount.J.p paid Geppi 350k for the Pay copy of Marvel 1 many moons ago.This is actually the record[though J.P was on steroids with this book pricewise at the time or anytime for that matter.

Hey, I'll say it again....MC #1 is a great book and the Pay copy was considered the nicest copy next to the MH (which is not for sale). There have been a few MC #1 books floating around which is a shame but it is ground zero for a Marvel/Timely collector.

R.

I would say Marvel 1 unrestored is the "most" attainable of the big 3...but, at least 3 unrestored action 1 (the 1.8 on mastro, the 2.0 on clink and a 4.5 in a private sale) and at least 4 unrestored tec 27's (my 3.0, an unrestored vg in a private sale, metro's 6.0 and the brokered 7.0) have changed hands in the last year or so (thumbs u

Rick, what were the prices on the 6.0 and 7.0 Tecs? I can't remember. Wasn't the 6.0 around 200k?

Rick, shortly after Mark Zaid sold the 4.0 Action 1 for $195K, there were some rumblings that Metropolis sold an unrestored 4.0 for $100K or thereabouts. Can you confirm or dispute this?

I'm curious as to what decade in the last 50 years showed the biggest turnout of Action 1's form attics, basements and closets and colections?

That's an interesting question. I'd guess the 1970's.

Rick, shortly after Mark Zaid sold the 4.0 Action 1 for $195K, there were some rumblings that Metropolis sold an unrestored 4.0 for $100K or thereabouts. Can you confirm or dispute this?

you got me on this one...I believe S came onto the boards a few years ago and mentioned something about a 3.5, but we would have to ask him...I would love to be privy to their sales, but unless I know the person that buys from them, I am as clueless as the rest lol

R.

Rick, what were the prices on the 6.0 and 7.0 Tecs? I can't remember. Wasn't the 6.0 around 200k?

the 7.0 sold for a reported $259K and the 6.0 sold 2x, I believe at first in the $160-165K range (that is what it was initially offered to me for) and the second time in the $178K range (this is what I was told in SDCC the asking price was) ....

the 7.0 sold for a reported $259K and the 6.0 sold 2x, I believe at first in the $160-165K range (that is what it was initially offered to me for) and the second time in the $178K range (this is what I was told in SDCC the asking price was) ....

Thanks. I just wanted to have a frame of reference to compare a midgrade unrestored Tec 27 with this mid-grade unrestored Action 1. It really does seem like Action 1 has really pulled much further away from the no 2 book in the last few years. hm

Does anyone have dates to add to those prices?

A lot has changed just in the past 4-6 months as far as keys are concerned.

Keys have basically taken off in public auctions so I would temper the Tec sales with the following factors...

a) private sales may not get the same exposure or realize the best prices

b) if they were before the Oct/Nov 2008 meltdown they may not be as fair to compare...it seems a lot of people are trying to hide wealth in collectibles.

c) comparing apples to apples (unrestored to unrestored) would be the most straight forward comparison.

R.

The 7.0 Tec had a small dot of glue on it..It says it on the holder..It effected the price im sure.Using it as a barometer against the 6.0 unrestored action 1 may not be a good indication though I believe Action 1 is pulling ahead regarless.

I saw the 7.0 Tec 27 at Dave Andersons home right in my hands.Nice book slight staple tear top staple if I remember.

What happen to the LCS owner that purchase a Tec #27 CGC 6.5 that was laced with contraversary? Is he still holding on to it?
last I heard, but he never confirmed he had it graded, so we are just "assuming" the 6.5 is associated with his copy...

I called him last year when I was buying my 3.0 and asked him if it was 1) graded, and 2) for sale and he simply told me that at the moment, it was not for sale (and avoided question 1)

What happen to the LCS owner that purchase a Tec #27 CGC 6.5 that was laced with contraversary? Is he still holding on to it?
last I heard, but he never confirmed he had it graded, so we are just "assuming" the 6.5 is associated with his copy...

I called him last year when I was buying my 3.0 and asked him if it was 1) graded, and 2) for sale and he simply told me that at the moment, it was not for sale (and avoided question 1)

That is so weird. Wasn't there pictures shown of the owner with a 6.5 book in a slabb a few months after the book surfaced? It had a very distinctive BRC but if I recall and there was a big discussion about it being potentially "restored" or "manipulated". Need to dig up that old thread. hm

And while we can't predict what books will be collected three generations from now, it is probably safest to say that a vast majority of our children will have no interest in collecting what we collect.

I think most kids who become collectors grow up with a fondness for childhood and those things that remind them of that time. Todays kids don't read as many comics or buy as many cards as they play videogames. Still comic characters are everywhere not just in the comic books. They are in the biggest movies and in the biggest videogames.

I think it is possible for a child to be into the Xmen (or Spiderman or Batman etc) because of the movies and videogames. Then never having read a comic grow up and start tracking them down because he wanted to see how it all started. Once hooked well then it is all about bragging rights and he is eyeing up an unrestored Action #1.

my gut was $317K...but what do I know

Really on a book like this you are right.A nice tight copy doesnt come along every day.

My guess was 3 times book 378k.

But my hope is whatever you bid will be the winner.Good Luck Rick.