• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics # 1 [6.0] Unrestored up up and away!

1,020 posts in this topic

on an extended bidding like this, whether you bid now or later is kind of irrelevant, because you still have a chance to bid at the end

Well, by that logic, there's no reason to wait to bid during live bidding at a Heritage auction. And yet, people do. Rightly or wrongly, people think there's an advantage on bidding late, so that's what they do and I'm sure is what's happening here. Surely this book will break $300K, even if it doesn't reach the stratospheric levels that some of the more bullish members of the boards (none of whom are actually putting their money where their mouth is) are predicting.

on an extended bidding like this, whether you bid now or later is kind of irrelevant, because you still have a chance to bid at the end

Well, by that logic, there's no reason to wait to bid during live bidding at a Heritage auction. And yet, people do. Rightly or wrongly, people think there's an advantage on bidding late, so that's what they do and I'm sure is what's happening here. Surely this book will break $300K, even if it doesn't reach the stratospheric levels that some of the more bullish members of the boards (none of whom are actually putting their money where their mouth is) are predicting.

very true...

I personally place a bid at some early stage (if I recognize the item) to "mark" the item...sometimes it is aggressive, sometimes passive... if I am serious about a book, I take 1 of 2 approaches...

first, is like the action 1... I go real strong at first, and that does sway away most of the "thrill" bidders... that can sometimes "lull" some to sleep (kind of like the stagnation of the past week)... then again, this book might be out of my reach, so I might just be satisfying my "wish"

or, my other approach is just as you mention, I only bid last second (ebay/comiclink) or during live (heritage)...

I think some folks place early bids, hoping others will not express interest, and maybe catch a break (shrug)

or, in the case of ebay/comiclink, it can help to keep final price down, if you don't leave anyone time to "one up you"... but, with CC and Heritage, you have the ability to keep bidding, so "when" is really still irrelevant if you are bidding to win (outside of being there as the music stops)

or, my other approach is just as you mention, I only bid last second (ebay/comiclink) or during live (heritage)...

Rick;

There's one big problem with this second approach of yours.

I've missed out on quite a few books for the very simple fact that I forgot all about the end of the auction or was tied up somewhere else and did not have access to a computer.

Of course, this always seems to happen when the books go for a lower amount than I would normally expect or was planning to bid. :pullhair:

Rick;

I've missed out on quite a few books for the very simple fact that I forgot all about the end of the auction or was tied up somewhere else and did not have access to a computer.

Of course, this always seems to happen when the books go for a lower amount than I would normally expect or was planning to bid. :pullhair:

The moral of the story is that you need to arrange your life's schedule around comic auction end dates. That's what a "real" collector would do! :baiting:

Rick;

The moral of the story is that you need to arrange your life's schedule around comic auction end dates. That's what a "real" collector would do! :baiting:

Tim;

You already met my wife before.

You should know that she places comic auction end dates at the bottom of our priority list, unless its my books that are up on the auction block. lol

Friday, 7pm Eastern time. It's the first book in the auction, so it's right at 7pm.
looks like I might have to miss my bowling league Friday night hm

my team would probably appreciate that anyway (avg has dipped below 200 with all the friday's I have missed due to conventions and what not)

Rick;

Says the guy who doesn't even surf half of the major sites. :baiting::grin:

Well im no bowler at all.I go once every 5 years and average 78.

About 20 years ago[[by miracle of course] I bowled 6 strikes in a row!!!!!!!

These 6 strikes in a row however really showed how bad a bowler I was.

I finished the game with a 193 !