• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics # 1 [6.0] Unrestored up up and away!

1,020 posts in this topic

I think a really good movie will reignite some interest in the character and subsequently licensed items, but it won't affect anyone that is currently considering purchasing a $300k+ Action 1 IMO

That's what I think too. I just don't understand the notion that a Motion picture can affect the cost of a book in the 6 figure range.

(thumbs u

I dont either but it sure as hell helped the Webhead.

I think the Mile high flash went for around 270k...I know im close,dont remember the exact amount.J.p paid Geppi 350k for the Pay copy of Marvel 1 many moons ago.This is actually the record[though J.P was on steroids with this book pricewise at the time or anytime for that matter.

Hey, I'll say it again....MC #1 is a great book and the Pay copy was considered the nicest copy next to the MH (which is not for sale). There have been a few MC #1 books floating around which is a shame but it is ground zero for a Marvel/Timely collector.

R.

I think the Mile high flash went for around 270k...I know im close,dont remember the exact amount.J.p paid Geppi 350k for the Pay copy of Marvel 1 many moons ago.This is actually the record[though J.P was on steroids with this book pricewise at the time or anytime for that matter.

Hey, I'll say it again....MC #1 is a great book and the Pay copy was considered the nicest copy next to the MH (which is not for sale). There have been a few MC #1 books floating around which is a shame but it is ground zero for a Marvel/Timely collector.

R.

Agreed.Great book and my favorite cover.

R.

Ive owned 2 copies myself

R.

Ive owned 2 copies myself

It is probably the only attainible copy of the BIG 3 unrestored right now

Couldnt Shaquille O'neil just offer dave anderson 5 or 10mil and have the best copy.

Yeah, sure. Shaq makes that in less than a ayear but Dave's copy is not for sale....or is it?

Couldnt Shaquille O'neil just offer dave anderson 5 or 10mil and have the best copy.

Yeah, sure. Shaq makes that in less than a ayear but Dave's copy is not for sale....or is it?

Im thinkin 10 mill would pry it loose....

No,its not for sale.

I think a really good movie will reignite some interest in the character and subsequently licensed items, but it won't affect anyone that is currently considering purchasing a $300k+ Action 1 IMO

That's what I think too. I just don't understand the notion that a Motion picture can affect the cost of a book in the 6 figure range.

(thumbs u

The Tim Burton Batman movie briefly pushed Tec 27 to the top in the guide for a couple of years.

I would say the recent Spiderman movies have a lot to do with pushing AF 15 into the stratospere and have made the top copies into six-figure books.

It's not so much that an indiviual movie that can effect a book like this as it is the boost it can give to the character's pop culture recognition level. Movies just happen to be a medium that contributes greatly to that recognition level.

I think what could have more of an effect long term is a lack of movies or tv shows and loss of recognition of the character within pop culture. Look at Captain Marvel, Tarzan, the Lone Ranger, Zorro, etc. If two or three decades (i.e. a generation) were to pass with no Superman movies, TV shows or cartoons, what will happen to Action 1? Will it continue to increase in value? Will the demand still be there? It will still be a very historically important book, but then so is Funnies on Parade. :shrug:

I guess my point is, a good movie might or might not give a book like this a bump, but it does keep the character's visibilty high and keeps him from falling off the pop culture radar.

I would assume it will never be fore sale, that book makes him famous, well to other comic collectors. Without that book you would see a lot less talk about the Dentist. I dont think the guy really needs the money and unless he really had something to buy with that extra 5-10 million, or whatever crazy amount he could get, why sell it.

Bruce

I would assume it will never be fore sale, that book makes him famous, well to other comic collectors. Without that book you would see a lot less talk about the Dentist. I dont think the guy really needs the money and unless he really had something to buy with that extra 5-10 million, or whatever crazy amount he could get, why sell it.

good points..cant argue with it.

Bruce

(thumbs u

The Tim Burton Batman movie briefly pushed Tec 27 to the top in the guide for a couple of years.

I would say the recent Spiderman movies have a lot to do with pushing AF 15 into the stratospere and have made the top copies into six-figure books.

It's not so much that an indiviual movie that can effect a book like this as it is the boost it can give to the character's pop culture recognition level. Movies just happen to be a medium that contributes greatly to that recognition level.

I think what could have more of an effect long term is a lack of movies or tv shows and loss of recognition of the character within pop culture. Look at Captain Marvel, Tarzan, the Lone Ranger, Zorro, etc. If two or three decades (i.e. a generation) were to pass with no Superman movies, TV shows or cartoons, what will happen to Action 1? Will it continue to increase in value? Will the demand still be there? It will still be a very historically important book, but then so is Funnies on Parade. :shrug:

I guess my point is, a good movie might or might not give a book like this a bump, but it does keep the character's visibilty high and keeps him from falling off the pop culture radar.

I agree that the late 1980's were Batman crazy. I remember it like day and didn't realize Tec #27 went to the top. Is this when MC #1 was pushed out of top position?

I also agree that lack of exposure has dulled the popularity of many fictional characters.

What was a Tec #27 worth in 1988?

Can't it also be said that the reason we have a Spider-man or a Superman movie is because of the popularity of the characters and not visa versa? I mean according to most Superman Returns was a dog and Spider-man 3 deserved to go straight to DVD IMO.

R.

We had this discussion in briefly in another thread, and the real argument is that the availability of ultra-high grade copies of Tec 27 (between 87-92 the Allentown sold twice, the Mile High sold and the 2nd nicest copy sold three times - compared to NO high grade sales of an Action #1) are what caused the price to have a temporary jump over Action #1.

Visibility is certainly important, but I don't think anyone makes the argument that the Banderas Mask of Zorro movie caused a great upswing in demand for Zorro comics and memorabilia, or that the recent Punisher movie has caused a tripling in price of Punisher comics. Spidey already was the most important SilverAge hero and had tremendous momentum and price increases - the movie just helped to reaffirm those beliefs.

In the long run, people just instinctively gravitate towards the most important books and they are priced accordingly. No one has to go out and promote Action #1 as being the most important comic, you know it is on a visceral level.

And while we can't predict what books will be collected three generations from now, it is probably safest to say that a vast majority of our children will have no interest in collecting what we collect.

(thumbs u

I agree that the late 1980's were Batman crazy. I remember it like day and didn't realize Tec #27 went to the top. Is this when MC #1 was pushed out of top position?

That's right if I remember correctly. But it only last a couple of years and then Action 1 moved to the top. That was right when i was getting out of the hobby so my memory is fuzzy. It may have been the fact MC 1's stranglehold on the top spot was finally broken that caused the hobby collectively reexamine the question of which book should be at the top and the consensus answer (rightfully IMO) was Action 1. Somebody who was active in the hobby through that period (late 80s/early 90's) could better address that though.

if someone has the guides from that period it would be interesting to track the values of the Big 3 from the mid 80's through the mid-90's.

I also agree that lack of exposure has duller many fictional characters.

What was a Tec #27 worth in 1988?

Can't it also be said that the reason we have a Spider-man or a Superman movie is because of the popularity of the characters and not visa versa? I mean according to most Superman Returns was a dog and Spider-man 3 deserved to go straight to DVD IMO.

R.

Certainly it works both ways, but it's important to note these characters are beginning to transcend the medium in which they first debuted so the popularity of the characters has little to do with their comic books anymore. My four-year old for example doesn't think of Spiderman and Batman as comicbook characters - to him the are characters from movies and cartoons and action figures.

Continued pop culture relevance is critical in sustaining [increases in] value. Great, relevant story-telling and interesting [preferably believable] characters are a great way to achieve sustained relevance.

Pre-Code horror will always have a following as terror/suspense/horror will always have its fans and those two trace historical roots. In the same way, continued good story-telling of super heroes will continue interest in those characters.

But a bad run of crappy movies (like Batman in the late 1990s) can certainly stall interest. It's good to see that the last two were fairly well-done. Superman at least has Smallville... and 70 years of reference, too, I guess.

Bruce

I think most any book is for sale for the right price and the right person. Comic book guys not only want their money but a guy like the dentist probably would only sell that book to a guy like himself. I doubt a celebrity or a dealer would ever pry the book out of his hands.

Bruce

I think most any book is for sale for the right price and the right person. Comic book guys not only want their money but a guy like the dentist probably would only sell that book to a guy like himself. I doubt a celebrity or a dealer would ever pry the book out of his hands.

Well Geppi, who is a collector if there ever was one, offered a public $1 MIL for a 9.4 unrestored copy years ago and anunsubstantiated $2 MIL and Dave didn't sell.

I can only think of one of two things.

1) the book was not for sale for $1 MIL (may as well be $5+ MIL now)

2) the book is not unrestored.

R.

Bruce

Well Geppi, who is a collector if there ever was one, offered a public $1 MIL for a 9.4 unrestored copy years ago and anunsubstantiated $2 MIL and Dave didn't sell.

I can only think of one of two things.

1) the book was not for sale for $1 MIL (may as well be $5+ MIL now)

2) the book is not unrestored.

R.

John Snyder did own the book before Dave I am told.