• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The SIMPSONS!

24 posts in this topic

:banana:

LOS ANGELES (Feb. 27) -

Fox says it's renewing "The Simpsons" for another two seasons, which will secure its place as TV's longest-running prime-time series. Now in its 20th season, "The Simpsons" already had tied record-holder "Gunsmoke." The Western drama series aired for two decades on CBS before it ended in 1975.

"The Simpsons" will pass that mark next season. The two-year, 44-episode pickup announced Thursday by Fox will bring the total number of "Simpsons" episodes to 493.

The animated comedy about Homer and Marge Simpson, their children and the town of Springfield is not only enduring but much-honored: It's received a Peabody and 24 Emmys among other awards

And I remember when they first appeared on the Tracey Ullman Show. How fast time flies.

I remember that too...its incredible, the TU show lasted only 4 seasons!

Me too... I went to an animated film festival in Philly to see more of them together after catching a short on the TU show. I was an instant fan and when the series started... I had friends over to party and watch it. I remember one of the earliest episodes (might have been the first after the Santa's Little Helper special/premiere?) in which they all "zapped" each other at the shrink's office and we all were laughing out loud. I had Simpson's parties more than once that season.

And I remember when they first appeared on the Tracey Ullman Show. How fast time flies.

Me too... I went to an animated film festival in Philly to see more of them together after catching a short on the TU show. I was an instant fan and when the series started... I had friends over to party and watch it. I remember one of the earliest episodes (might have been the first after the Santa's Little Helper special/premiere?) in which they all "zapped" each other at the shrink's office and we all were laughing out loud. I had Simpson's parties more than once that season.

Gotta admit, The Simpsons is one of those animated series that has had major influences and impacts throughout its run.

How many had to live through yet one more person at school or work who couldn't stop repeating "Cowabunga, Man" or "Don't have a cow, man!" or "Eat my shorts!" and you knew immediately he/she was quoting The Simpsons?

I'd still buy every season on DVD.

This show should have been put to sleep 7 years ago. It used to be we could recite every episode by heart, but what was the last classic episode they made?? I can barely remember the funniest moment from the last episode let alone what happened 2 years ago. They were much more relevant in the 90's than they have been this decade. Just MHO

This show should have been put to sleep 7 years ago. It used to be we could recite every episode by heart, but what was the last classic episode they made?? I can barely remember the funniest moment from the last episode let alone what happened 2 years ago. They were much more relevant in the 90's than they have been this decade. Just MHO

+1

I agree, about after season 14 I just didn't find the episodes funny anymore. I was one that had started watching it from the first season. However, different generations are watching the show now. Kids that weren't even born when the show started are watching it.

I agree completely. I guess it's more important for them to have longevity than quality. :(

Gotta admit, The Simpsons is one of those animated series that has had major influences and impacts throughout its run.

How many had to live through yet one more person at school or work who couldn't stop repeating "Cowabunga, Man" or "Don't have a cow, man!" or "Eat my shorts!" and you knew immediately he/she was quoting The Simpsons?

I'd still buy every season on DVD.

Even this - doh! - originated from The Simpsons.

I agree completely. I guess it's more important for them to have longevity than quality. :(

I must be easier to please than most. I watched semi-religiously for 7-8 years then I drifted from "religious" viewing as life got busier and many HBO programs were just too enjoyable to pass up Sunday nights when I had time to watch TV. That said, anytime I managed to watch a Simpson's episode, even recent ones... I found them enjoyable and entertaining enough. Yeah, I see many of the jokes/gags coming but it's just a byproduct of 'knowing" the characters so well... but that sort of has it's own charm in a way.

I'm not sure the quality has slipped quite as much as some feel. I think "familiarity" has simply set in and TV is so competitive with quality programming everywhere. It's near impossible to maintain a high level of creative genius for even a decade, much more 2.

The Simpson's paved the way for other cartoons such as King of the Hill and Family Guy and the rest of the prime time cartoon rebirth. I'm glad they still make more... a world without new Simpson's would just not seem right to me. I liked the movie too. Thanks Matt Groening

:headbang:

DENTAL PLAN!!!

My point exactly, what was that like season 4?

But I agree, a world without the Simpsons would definitely not seem right. I do appreciate all the show has done (I still watch religiously every Sunday) but it's just time to step aside, longevity record or not.

DENTAL PLAN!!!

My point exactly, what was that like season 4?

But I agree, a world without the Simpsons would definitely not seem right. I do appreciate all the show has done (I still watch religiously every Sunday) but it's just time to step aside, longevity record or not.

yup season 4, one of the greatest episodes.

I disagree but only because I stopped watching after about twelve seasons. Obviously someone is watching or the show would have been toast. I vote with my feet, if I don't like a show I don't watch it.

While I agree that the show has gone downhill, it still has it's moments.

There was an episode last year where a new comic shop opened in Springfield and the first 10 or 15 minutes in the comic shop were some of the funniest ever of the Simpsons. I'm sure the average viewer didn't get half the jokes, but you could tell the writers were having a lot of fun.

Lisa, in font of a rack of comics: "Tintin? Asterisk? I thought these only existed in libraries!"