• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Attatchment issues..

20 posts in this topic

I have a slight problem. Well another problem :insane:. I have alot of comics, I was setting up at shows for the past year and a half and did ok. I have recently just lost the urge to set up. So I have 12-15 boxes of stock I have been selling off (mylast sales thread emptied about 1/3rd of a box). I will continue selling off books at whatever price I have to until I dwindle down to a few boxes.

My next problem is my personal collection. I ahve about the same amount of boxes in my personal collection. I do have alot of modern/copper books, but have other titles with runs starting at the SA. I really dont want/need most of these books as my focus changed about a year ago. I have HUGE runs of X-Men, Spider Man, Avengers, Wolverine, Thor, and who knows what else.

My problem is parting with this stuff. While I dont work on these runs, or even acknowledge the books existence. So why cant I seem to just pull out a box at a time, and grade/price them to sell? How can I get past this issue? I want them gone, but when I start digging through I always close the box and put it back. I seem to be fighting myself here.

Why? Anyone know how I can get past this?

Pat, if your direction has changed for real, and you definitely know what you want to go after with the money once the books are sold, try this.

Create a want list of the new focus items, and hang it up in your collecting storage area as a reminder what your direction is now. If you really want to go hogwild, insert some photos of the covers to boot yourself back to the new reality.

Hope that helps, as I went through this two years ago with a large Silver Age run of books I cared little for, but then kept holding off. It ain't easy.

Pat, if your direction has changed for real, and you definitely know what you want to go after with the money once the books are sold, try this.

Create a want list of the new focus items, and hang it up in your collecting storage area as a reminder what your direction is now. If you really want to go hogwild, insert some photos of the covers to boot yourself back to the new reality.

Hope that helps, as I went through this two years ago with a large Silver Age run of books I cared little for, but then kept holding off. It ain't easy.

I have many books that I want. But most I cant afford even after selling these books (Bats 1). My biggest issue is saying Eff it, and selling books that I know what I paid for such discounts.. Maybe I am just paranoid. I also have a metric TON of books that will come back easy CGC 9.8's (spideys,avengers, x-men, etc..) And would probably use the money to start doing this..

I find $ is a big motivator. If you really have a bunch of 9.8s, start sending them in by prescreen and slab them and sell 'em -- the money certainly makes it worthwhile. Especially when you use it to buy more books.

Pull your finger out your azz biatch and sell some books :baiting:

Seriously, you've never seemed to me like the kind of guy who umms and ahhs about things. If you want to do something you do it. Either you can't be bothered to sell them or you still want them.

Selling them is only gonna pay for those 'Tecs quicker....

I feel you, Pat. Part of what you are feeling probably relates to enjoying a wide variety of books, leading to the dreaded lack of focus, which in turn leads to the even more dreaded comic overload. Also, there is the fear that if you get rid of these books and want to get them back it will cost more in the future.

Just take a little time and decide which runs you really want to collect. Get rid of everything else. With the proliferation of TPB's and online sources, soon you'll be able to have access to the "non-essential" material in a much more inexpensive and space-economical fashion.

By comparison, I am getting ready to move a hundred, maybe a hundred and fifty slabs that I have around because (1) I loved the cover or (2) it was a deal I couldn't pass up or (3) I slabbed because it was high grade. It is pretty liberating to get this stuff ready to move and know that I can get some sweet books with the bread. Good luck.

--Sean.

Some good advice here. I just need to make the cash to start pre-screening. I should start doing this. I was planning to begin another sales thread for the week, maybe I will begin sacrificing some of this stuff..

And Sean I am with you on the buying books for covers, etc.. And I dont think I will go back and buy most of this again, I wonder why I bought them in the first place. I have probably 1,000 books I never read still.

Focused collectors = zzz collectors

To a large extent I agree with you. But if I look at what I really love, #1 issues and 1st appearances, I am going to have 1000-1500 slabs before I am done. Do I really need a 9.8 Thor 211 or 9.8 Inferior Five #7? Or multiple copies of Locke and Key #1 or Umbrella Academy #1 in 9.8 SS? I don't think so. On the carppy side, I have a bunch of mid-grade SS of Ploog, Adams, Kaluta, Kubert etc. that I don't really need. There are poeple that would like to have SS from these guys, so wht not blow 'em out?

But I can get some good bread for some of these books. Maybe I can get a decent Avengers 57 afterwards. :cry:

Some good advice here. I just need to make the cash to start pre-screening. I should start doing this. I was planning to begin another sales thread for the week, maybe I will begin sacrificing some of this stuff..

And Sean I am with you on the buying books for covers, etc.. And I dont think I will go back and buy most of this again, I wonder why I bought them in the first place. I have probably 1,000 books I never read still.

Well Pat, we're here to help in your effort. Just give us the word - and a long list of great books. :insane:

Pish books = drek books, books you think are OK but are really filler, *spoon* in other words...

Gotcha

Pish books = unsellable/unwanted junk lol

Focused collectors = zzz collectors

To a large extent I agree with you. But if I look at what I really love, #1 issues and 1st appearances, I am going to have 1000-1500 slabs before I am done. Do I really need a 9.8 Thor 211 or 9.8 Inferior Five #7? Or multiple copies of Locke and Key #1 or Umbrella Academy #1 in 9.8 SS? I don't think so. On the carppy side, I have a bunch of mid-grade SS of Ploog, Adams, Kaluta, Kubert etc. that I don't really need. There are poeple that would like to have SS from these guys, so wht not blow 'em out?

But I can get some good bread for some of these books. Maybe I can get a decent Avengers 57 afterwards. :cry:

So I guess we can expect to see you posting in the Selling forum soon then?

Pish books = drek books, books you think are OK but are really filler, *spoon* in other words...

Gotcha

Pish books = unsellable/unwanted junk lol

(thumbs u

So I guess we can expect to see you posting in the Selling forum soon then?

First couple batches of blue labels will go to C-Link. Then, hopefully, by the summer, I will be ready to do a sweet cherry-bustin' Sales Thread.